Bodhi Linux Forums: Not all programs are displayed in Bodhi menu - Bodhi Linux Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not all programs are displayed in Bodhi menu

#1 User is offline   Astroboy 

• Group: Members
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

At first I thought it was a Bodhi 2.3 prerelease specific bug, since I'm testing. But then I became aware this issue is on Bodhi 2.2, as well. Not present in Bodhi 2.1.

Installed kdegames. Since it has a good number of games, all would be shown on Games menu, right?

It does not happen. The games are not displayed in Bodhi Games menu until certain point.

For example, if I'm using Bodhi theme, the last game shown in Games menu is "Kolor Lines". If I'm using Default theme, the last game shown is "Kpatience". It seems that I'm able to see 2 more games in default theme than in Bodhi Theme because it uses a smaller font. But there is a handful of other games not shown in Games menu, such as Kolf, Kollision, Konquest, Kreversi, Ktuberling, Palapeli, etc. that didn't have the luck of having a name higher in the alphabetical order. In my system are displayed the games from A to KP, the games from KP and forward (L-Z) are not shown.

I find this very strange, because my Education menu has more programs than Games menu (including a lot of programs from package kdeedu), but I don't have any issue to display all the programs in Education menu.

Any ideas?

Edit: Now the Education menu has the same problem. It does not display the programs from T to Z.... it seems that if there are many programs in a menu problems arise...
If I change my screen resolution, say, from 1440x900 to 1024x768, both menus (Games and Education) show even less programs, but now I see a pattern: they show the amount of programs that they would need to fit in the screen without having to scroll. If I return to 1440x900, I have again in my view all the menu programs that would fit in that size...

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Can you please use an application such as shutter to post a screen shot of the issue in question?

Just to confirm the menu selections aren't simply going off the bottom of the screen correct?

~Jeff

#3 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yep, here it is. As you can confirm by seeing a thin orange line and a portion of Bodhi background image below the entry "Kolor Lines", this is the last program shown, as if there were no more programs to show. Hence, there are not going off the bottom. it should be just a matter of moving the mouse cursor down in the menu, as was usual...

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Elw3 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

seems the e devs forgot to ad an scroll function in the menu. my father showed me that a while ago when he was looking for sudoku.
border size of a theme affects how long the menu can get, or you can just scale the fonts down to see more entries.
someone should forward that as a bug....
Bad Wolf

#5 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Can someone go file a bug report on trac.enlightenment.org as this appears to be a bug? For reference Bodhi use E17 0.17.1

~Jeff

#6 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

To Elw3:
Yep, I would call it a severe bug. It severs the funcionality of the platform and, even if I scaled down the fonts, there are more that 15 programs undisplayed in Education section, no way to be able to see all of them, even with tiny fonts. Not good for anyone having more programs in a menu that her/his display can support.

To Jeff:
Visited trac.enlightenment.org, and I would prefer if someone of the Bodhi devs around here post that bug report. For me, the technicalities and experience needed in that site are somehow daunting...

#7 User is offline   Elw3 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

i did, but looks like it is a double post now bodhi user conspiritech reported it 3 months ago.
Bad Wolf

#8 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostElw3, on 26 March 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

i did, but looks like it is a double post now bodhi user conspiritech reported it 3 months ago.

"when the application sub-menu has more items in it than the screen can show the rest is cut of and cant be accessed with the mouse (but with keyboard)"

It can be accessed with keyboard, but even so the not-shown items in the menu are still invisible. For example, if I put the mouse on the item "Kolor Lines" (see screenshot), press three times down arrow key and hit 'Enter', I can access "KReversi" without actually seeing its entry. But, the keyboard is not a workaround (unless I memorize how many keystrokes I'm away from an application) :lol:

#9 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Can someone please post a full list of packages I'd need to install to "flood" my games sub menu like in your example? That way I can test it on my two devices and start bugging the crap out raster to get on this.

~Jeff

#10 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostJeff, on 26 March 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Can someone please post a full list of packages I'd need to install to "flood" my games sub menu like in your example? That way I can test it on my two devices and start bugging the crap out raster to get on this.

~Jeff

Just install kdegames, that would do it.

Yeaaah! BUG RASTER! BUG RASTER! :P

#11 User is offline   Jeff 

• Lead Developer

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Perfect. Dumping this onto my 1024x600 netbook and my 1920x1080 desktop.

~Jeff

#12 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostJeff, on 26 March 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Perfect. Dumping this onto my 1024x600 netbook and my 1920x1080 desktop.

~Jeff

You surely are going to notice it in your 1024x600 netbook.

#13 User is offline   Theophobus 

• LocationUnterschleißheim, Germany

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Set the menus to enlightenment, your games will be sorted in categories, everything fine. Also if you move your mouse slowly to the bottom or top of your long list it WILL scroll, mouse wheel do not work. Just tested it again, man does this KDE games pull in dependencies.....
FOXTROT UNIFORM CHARLIE KILO the world
My Deviantart My personal BigBodhi disk

#14 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostTheophobus, on 27 March 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Set the menus to enlightenment, your games will be sorted in categories, everything fine. Also if you move your mouse slowly to the bottom or top of your long list it WILL scroll, mouse wheel do not work. Just tested it again, man does this KDE games pull in dependencies.....

Hi

Setting the menu to Enlightenment would be a good option (it put Games and everrything else in subcategories, so the menus don't get "flooded"), BUT... it shows all subcategories in English language. Due our systems are not setup in English, they'd look weird, sort of "Spanglish" with categories shown in Spanish, subcategories in English, and then names and descriptions of the programs again in Spanish...
Also, setting the menus to enlightenment does not solve the bug. For example, it creates a menu named "Applications -> Other" which, at my resolution, is cut at letter M.

There is also in my system the option of setting the menu to "kde4-applications", which shows subcategories in Spanish. Education and Games don't get too flooded, but Multimedia (it has no subcategories) and Education->Other menus are still a bit flooded, so if we install in subnotebooks or other devices with a small display the issue would still be there...

PS: Try kdeedu, that pulls even more dependencies than kdegames, but is a lot more useful, educatively speaking...

#15 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

The other available config menu option, "KDE (Information)", does not display any application in Bodhi menu, btw...

#16 User is offline   Theophobus 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ok, than you have to stick to the long list, but you can set the autoscroll border to a higher value, which will make it scroll easier.

Posted Image

This way it all stays in spanish if you choose the usual LXDM menu.

#17 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the tip. However, the issue is not how difficult is to scroll through a menu, is the fact that in a somehow long menu, the last entries that do not fit to be seen at once in a display, get inaccesible.

kdegames package sets a good example of this. Let's say, are you able to open Palapeli via Games menu (with its default LXDE option activated)? if you happen to have a relatively low display (say, 1440x900, 1024x768, 1024x600), the items in Games menu can't be displayed all at once, so Palapeli, and a lot other programs, simply do not appear in the menu. Is as if they were not installed.

The number of entries displayed in Games or in any other category depend, with this bug, of the size of your display. If your display can't hold all the menu entries that could be seen at once (after you do some mouse movements/scrolling to see al the items in a category, as shown in my Bodhi desktop screenshot in this thread), a lot of programs with names that start in the lower half of the alphabet do not appear (in my 1440x900 laptop, the "forgotten" ones of kdegames are kmahjongg, kmines, knetwalk, kolf, kollision, konquest, kpat, kreversi, klickety, kshishen, kspaceduel, ksudoku, ksquares, ktuberling, kfourinline, kubrick, palapeli.). If I connect my laptop to view Bodhi in a high definition LCD, I can see and scroll more items in our sample Games category: more vertical res, more entries to be seen and accessed in a long menu...

#18 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well. We found a workaround.

We set the menu to "kde4-applications". Then we edited kde4-applications-menu (located in /etc/xdg/menus) in order to get rid of an ugly menu entry called "Lost and Found", in which there were a lot of programs that, for some reason, could not be categorized in the other menus. Most of them seemed to be screensavers, but we didn't get to see its complete list -you know, because of the bug we talked about in this thread-. Anyway, all the important programs seem to be in their menus, so we continued.

We then edited kbibtex.desktop and removed the extra categories it wanted to be, otherwise it would have a complete "Scientific" category only for this program!

We then created subcategories for Multimedia category, tweaked some desktop files, and delete unnnecesary ones and... voilá! Now we have a system that would display all the programs in systems with at least 600 vertical pixels, because in each category and subcategory, there are no more than 19 entries.

kde4-applications has the advantage of creating subcategories for some main categories. For example, instead of dumping a lot of programs in "Education", now a user could go to Education menu, and see four subcategories: Languages, Math, Science and Other. In each of this subcategories there are now a few programs. Games menu now has six subcategories, making them simpler to navigate around those apps.

This bug would have been a deal breaker for us. Linux School program is still running in Bodhi 1.4, and we really wanted to jump on the 2.3 wagon... because of some bugs serious for us, we didn't dare to jump in with the release of Bodhi 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and we almost dropped 2.3. We will continue the creation of our distro based on Bodhi 2.3.

Thanks to Theophobus for the heads up about kde4-applications.

We still think this is a severe bug: not every Bodhi user have large displays, and nobody would like to be limited in the number of programs of the same category in order to be able to see them! and there are Bodhi users who wouldn't want to install KDE apps in order to have "kde4-applications" as a lifesaver Enlightenment menu option. Let's hope this bug could be solved soon, and the bugging of Jeff on Rasterman have the desired effect. B)

#19 User is offline   Theophobus 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

It is NO e bug! It has the sub-categories if you set it to enlightenment. The problen exist only in the other De's. If at some time the Ubuntu upstream has the translations you need it will work ootb. Don't blame the pianist for the bad partiture......

#20 User is offline   Astroboy 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

ejem... this is e bug. If I set the menu to Enlightenment, it creates a menu named "Applications -> Other" which, at my screen resolution of 1440x900, I only can see and access the programs from A to L, but not the ones from M to Z. Setting the menu to Enlightenment does not solve the problem, it alleviates the issue because of the subcategories. If there are many programs in a subcategory, the issue would still be there.

We chose kde4-applications instead of enlightenment menu option due of the lack of translations for the subcategories on e, in this regard we don't know who' s the culprit.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users