• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaulE

PaulE

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi everyone,

I just started with Bodhi Linux a few days ago. Things are going well so far, with the following minor annoyance. I installed Libreoffice from the App Center. It works just fine if I open it from the menu, but if I try to open it from the command line

libreoffice file.doc

I get the following error:

The program 'libreoffice' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common

In my newbie ignorance I tried installing libreoffice-common and was not able to. I then read posts here saying that the version of Libreoffice used by Bodhi doesn't need this package anyway, so I will not go any further down this route.

Another weird thing is that if I try to run libreoffice in the background with the '&' operator

libreoffice file.doc &

the terminal actually disappears! I've tried this with both Terminology and LXTerminal, with the same results. (If I have multiple tabs open, though, only the current tab disappears.)

Any ideas, anyone, on what's going wrong?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Tara

Tara

Moderately Bemused

• Moderators
  • 898 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Are you sure "libreoffice" is the executable you want to actually run? That's the name of the package, but the document writer has a different name.

Somebody will have to fill me in on what it's named these days... last time I checked, it was still named "swriter", which was a hold over from when the Libre Office/OpenOffice.org was actually forked from the Sun StarOffice days.

#3 PaulE

PaulE

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Are you sure "libreoffice" is the executable you want to actually run? That's the name of the package, but the document writer has a different name.

Somebody will have to fill me in on what it's named these days... last time I checked, it was still named "swriter", which was a hold over from when the Libre Office/OpenOffice.org was actually forked from the Sun StarOffice days.

Googling around, it seems that

libreoffice --writer somefile.doc

is recommended to get that application in particular. But that produces the same result, I'm afraid:

The program 'libreoffice' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common

Update: I tried 'swriter' and that didn't work either. Command not recognized. I would check the man-page, of course, but when I type

man libreoffice

I get

No manual entry for libreoffice

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Bodhi uses the official LibreOffice packages which install to /opt. You will find the exes for it there.

~Jeff

#5 PaulE

PaulE

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Bodhi uses the official LibreOffice packages which install to /opt. You will find the exes for it there.

~Jeff

Thanks for your replies, Jeff and Tara. But--and please pardon my ignorance--what are the 'exes'. Do you mean .exe files? What do I do with them?

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

By "exes" I mean executables.

The exact path of the writer for example is:

/opt/libreoffice4.0/program/swriter

~Jeff

#7 PaulE

PaulE

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

By "exes" I mean executables.

The exact path of the writer for example is:

/opt/libreoffice4.0/program/swriter

~Jeff

Thanks very much! I just tried the command you gave and it worked fine. And the weird issue with the '&' operator no longer crops up now that I'm using the correct command.

I think I know enough to proceed from here. I guess I'll add the above folder to my PATH and just use 'swriter' as the command from now on.

I'll mark this as SOLVED. Thanks again.

#8 Guest_Cassandra_*

Guest_Cassandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

For all users of LibreOffice who are annoyed by its bad compatibility with Microsoft Office formats, or for other comprehensible reasons (LO IMHO is bug-ridden, slow, and has a clunky interface):

I just found the information that SoftMaker Office for Linux as an upgrade is now sold cheaper, have a look at their Facebook presence:

https://www.facebook.com/softmaker

I can recommend it from my experience, it has by far the best MS Office conversion algorithm, and doesn't create a hot mess of garbled formatting like LibreOffice, it's smaller and faster, and very feature-packed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users