Installation issues

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mulderc

mulderc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I followed the instructions to the letter but when the system rebooted after the installation, it just went back to chromeOS.

It did go to the OS verification screen. I waited and it gives a couple beeps then goes straight to ChromeOS. If i drop down to the TTY and enter in the command to boot into Bodhi, it does nothing.

I did a powerwash and started over but ended up with the same results.

Any ideas?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Any errors while the script ran? Both parts of the install completed without complaint?

~Jeff

#3 mulderc

mulderc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

Looks like there is some type of error about loading the kernel right at the end of the installation before it reboots, It goes by a little too fast for me to copy down more information.

Any errors while the script ran? Both parts of the install completed without complaint?

~Jeff

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

I noticed ChromeOS had an update recently. Maybe this foobared our installer script? Will have to try and find time to look into this.

Odds are not any time soon though. Still fighting to get time to finish our next desktop release.

Sorry,
~Jeff

#5 mulderc

mulderc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

Yeah that is what I thought also.

I read a little while back that some pretty big improvements were being made to Ubuntu and Debian that should help them run better on the Samsung Chromebook. Maybe you should wait till those changes have been made and then work on fixing this issue with a new update.

Thanks for your hard work, Love Bodhi and can't wait to run it on my chromebook!

I noticed ChromeOS had an update recently. Maybe this foobared our installer script? Will have to try and find time to look into this.

Odds are not any time soon though. Still fighting to get time to finish our next desktop release.

Sorry,
~Jeff

#6 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

So I decided to install bodhi linux following Jeff's instructions. First I did a system restore back to the stable build for the Samsung device. I then went through the steps as listed. On the second pass of running the script, where it downloads the tar file and extracts everything, it fails at the end. As someone else noted previously it fails when copying the new kernel. I commented out the restart line and reran everything to see what was happening. The reason is that the dd statement fails because /tmp/newkern does not exist. I checked and sure enough it didn't exist. I believe the vbutil_kernel file is failing. I captured the output of vbutil_kernel --help and it appears that the --bootloader option with bootloader stub file as a parameter is now required. This is not in the script that I can see. I will keep looking into it, but if someone has an answer I would appreciate it.

At this point I am not sure if it is related to the bootloader parameter or not. vbutil_kernel is returning a 1 return code, which probably indicates an error. It seems to be printing out an error message:
ERROR: Error reading kernel file

Is the script expecting an existing /boot/vmlinuz file? If so, there does not seem to be one
--Chris

#7 analogvoid

analogvoid

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

So I decided to install bodhi linux following Jeff's instructions. First I did a system restore back to the stable build for the Samsung device. I then went through the steps as listed. On the second pass of running the script, where it downloads the tar file and extracts everything, it fails at the end. As someone else noted previously it fails when copying the new kernel. I commented out the restart line and reran everything to see what was happening. The reason is that the dd statement fails because /tmp/newkern does not exist. I checked and sure enough it didn't exist. I believe the vbutil_kernel file is failing. I captured the output of vbutil_kernel --help and it appears that the --bootloader option with bootloader stub file as a parameter is now required. This is not in the script that I can see. I will keep looking into it, but if someone has an answer I would appreciate it.

At this point I am not sure if it is related to the bootloader parameter or not. vbutil_kernel is returning a 1 return code, which probably indicates an error. It seems to be printing out an error message:
ERROR: Error reading kernel file

Is the script expecting an existing /boot/vmlinuz file? If so, there does not seem to be one

I'm experiencing this as well. I looked at the script and there is an if statement that will skip the stuff that needs to happen during the first pass of the script unless you provide an argument. That argument needs to be a drive path. It's called "target_disk" in the script.

Here's a snippet with the if statement that expects "$1" to have some value other than nothing ( "" ).

if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
  target_disk=$1
  echo "Got ${target_disk} as target drive"
  echo ""
  echo "WARNING! All data on this device will be wiped out! Continue at your own risk!"
  echo ""
  read -p "Press [Enter] to install Bodhi on ${target_disk} or CTRL+C to quit"

I'm not sure what path to provide the script. Without the argument the script will always run like as a "second pass".

#8 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm experiencing this as well. I looked at the script and there is an if statement that will skip the stuff that needs to happen during the first pass of the script unless you provide an argument. That argument needs to be a drive path. It's called "target_disk" in the script.

Here's a snippet with the if statement that expects "$1" to have some value other than nothing ( "" ).

if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
  target_disk=$1
  echo "Got ${target_disk} as target drive"
  echo ""
  echo "WARNING! All data on this device will be wiped out! Continue at your own risk!"
  echo ""
  read -p "Press [Enter] to install Bodhi on ${target_disk} or CTRL+C to quit"

I'm not sure what path to provide the script. Without the argument the script will always run like as a "second pass".

I am not sure how that script parameter works either, but I believe the first pass sets up the partitions. I doubt you want to start over with that part each time anyway unless there is some reason to belive that rerunning the script (second pass) causes issues. If you want to start from scratch, I suspect you might have to remove developer mode (enable boot verification) at the first screen. This would wipe out all partitions, data, etc. I believe.

Regarding the error, it does appear the vmlinuz file is not there. In fact there is no boot directory. I have played with the script. I downloaded the vmlinuz file from ubuntu for samsung chromebook and am using that in the vbutil_kernel command. Doing this, I was able to complete the process, but when it reboots I get a blank screen (display is lit) with no cursor or anything. No keys work. Only solution is to hold power down for several seconds. Then on power on, back to chromebook start-up. I can then get back to chronos user as before and data in that home directory is still there. At this point, I don't know how to debug further.
--Chris

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Reasons like this is why we are going to be discontinuing our ARM images for all of these various devices. They change things every hardware revision that make it near impossible to support.

It is more work to create a single ARM image than it is to maintain our entire desktop release.

My personal life is really busy for the next month or so - but once things settle down I hope to create an easy to install chroot setup that you will be able to run within ChromeOS similar to how Cruton works.

~Jeff

#10 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Reasons like this is why we are going to be discontinuing our ARM images for all of these various devices. They change things every hardware revision that make it near impossible to support.

It is more work to create a single ARM image than it is to maintain our entire desktop release.

My personal life is really busy for the next month or so - but once things settle down I hope to create an easy to install chroot setup that you will be able to run within ChromeOS similar to how Cruton works.

~Jeff

Thanks Jeff. BTW, I just switched to verified mode, then installed stable recovery image, switched to developer mode, and entered chronos without creating an account. /boot directory is definitely not there.

So what are my options vis a vis a Bodhi experience and the Samsung ARM chromebook? I previously was using crouton with e17. I know that option. What about using chrubuntu and installing enlightenment from bodhi repositories, as described here? Would that work or not?

Or if I use Ubuntu with crouton or ChrUbuntu, is there a way to upgrade enlightenment to 0.17.4 from 0.17.3 or is that only possible within Bodhi?

Thanks.

--Chris
--Chris

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

The latest ARM packages in the Bodhi repo currently are 0.17.3 - I don't get time to invest in updating them as often as I'd like.

I don't have a good method for getting Bodhi onto the Chromebook if the installer script no longer works.

~Jeff

#12 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Well, I tried chrubuntu but it seems at this point you can only install 12.04 with Unity (ubuntu-desktop meta package). When I installed e17 it came up but I got segfaults. I went back to using crouton but then I ran across this debian article. It talks about the fact that /boot is no longer there and you have to repack the running kernel. So I updated the install script to do that. I got that to happen and when it rebooted it brought up the Enlightenment blue screen for an instant then I got a blank screen with the cursor. I saw that reported elsewhere in the forum but I cannot use ctrl-alt-f1 to login to a terminal (screen has horizontal lines). So it looks like an X server problem but I am not sure how I can debug it.

I will keep looking, but if someone has a suggestion I would appreciate it. I feel like I am close.

OK, an update. I got it to come up. Based on earlier suggestion, I removed the X11 exynos.conf file after the extraction of the tar file. To do this, I added a /bin/rm of etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/exynos.conf in the script after the extraction. Now I am at the main Bodhi desktop. I will report later if I hit more issues.
--Chris

#13 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

OK, now the strange thing on my Samsung Chromebook is when I either reboot or shutdown, the next time it boots it brings up ChromeOS. I have to go into the chronos user and redo the cgpt command to set the bodhi partition as top in the boot order and then reboot. Do I need to add something to some shutdown and/or reboot script to always run that command?

Thanks.

--Chris
--Chris

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

You shouldn't have to - at least you didn't have to before.

It sounds like a ton has changed with how chromeOS handles other OSes on the device - one of the many headaches ARM has.

~Jeff

#15 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

You shouldn't have to - at least you didn't have to before.

It sounds like a ton has changed with how chromeOS handles other OSes on the device - one of the many headaches ARM has.

~Jeff

OK, I figured it out. Also now have to add "-S 1" to the cgpt add statement to indicate there has been a successful boot. Of course, maybe you want to do that once you know it actually will boot.
--Chris

#16 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

After (finally) getting bodhi installed on my Samsung ARM Chromebook, I did the upgrade process according to instructions. It updated some stuff, but when I use the About button it still says 2.2. Shouldn't it upgrade to 2.4, or isn't that available for ARM. Also, it appears to be pulling things from debian repositories and not Ubuntu. Is that an ARM only thing also, or is Bodhi no longer based on Ubuntu.

Thanks.

--Chris
--Chris

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

The release numbers on ARM are trivial. At one point it just said "ARM", but my build scripts got jumbled at one point and a number appeared again. Haven't really had the drive to fix it.

Our ARM release is built on Debian Wheezy.

~Jeff

#18 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

Above I described some issues I ran into installing Bodhi on my Samsung (ARM) Chromebook and how I solved them. I have posted my steps in a blog post here.
--Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users