Bodhi Linux Forums: Dropping Official Support for ARM Devices - Bodhi Linux Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dropping Official Support for ARM Devices

#1 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor
  • Group: Developer
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Effective immediately Bodhi is dropping official support for ARM devices. What does this mean?

• We will no longer be advertising an ARMHF download link on our front page
  • Updates to ARM images will be infrequent/not at all
  • The ARM repo will be slow to receive package updates

The primary reason for this change is that maintaining ARM images is alot of work for very little return. Keeping one ARM image up to date is more work than maintaining all three of our desktop disc images. Every ARM image is used far less than any one of our desktop releases, so it just isn't worth the investment.

A secondary reason for this is the closed source nature of ARM hardware. It is near impossible to get ARM hardware fully functional under a normal Linux distribution in a reasonable amount of time. Often by the time we get all the kinks worked out the hardware is so old it isn't truly useful any longer.

We will continue to maintain an ARM discussion forum here. Users are free to ask questions about the existing images we have there (or post their own). I do hope to try and maintain ARMHF packages for E17 in our repo for Debian Wheezy moving forward still - but these updates will come slower than the desktop repos get updates.

Regards,
~Jeff Hoogland

#2 User is offline   Elw3 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like a shame but in reality its not really changing anything.

All fine as long the repo stays up...
Bad Wolf

#3 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Yep. The repo will be alive and pseduo maintained as it has been for this year.

~Jeff

#4 User is offline   Seekamp 

• Chromebook Wizard
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'd be willing to help with the ARM packages since I have gone to the trouble of getting bodhi installed on my ARM chromebook. If your announcement had been a few days earlier, I might not have tried. ;-)

Have you been cross-compiling the packages, or doing it on an actual ARM device. A while back I tried cross-compiling for ARM but didn't get it working, and ended up building on Chromebook instead.

--Chris
--Chris

#5 User is offline   Jeff 

• Project Advisor

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I build my packages directly on ARM using an nvidia tegra powered trimslice device currently.

~Jeff

#6 User is offline   Seekamp 

• Chromebook Wizard
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostJeff, on 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I build my packages directly on ARM using an nvidia tegra powered trimslice device currently.

~Jeff

OK, are you interested in help maintaining/updating the ARM packages? If so, can you point me to (or send me) some information on investigating getting started? At this point I don't know where the source is, or even whether it is publicly available. I do have past experience building both RPM and deb packages.

Thanks.

--Chris
--Chris

#7 User is offline   Zafiro 

• Group: Members
  • LocationWest Africa

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm glad to read this. I was running Bodhi on a netbook whose hardware has given up the ghost. I'm shopping for new hardware. Was looking at the Samsung Chromebook and the Bodhi ARM port was what I'd have put on it. Looks like I won't buy that now.

There's the HP Chromebook (http://www.amazon.co...M/ref=de_a_smtd) running X86 instead. And looking around on the web, looks like Ubuntu - and therefore probably Bodhi - should work fine on it. Is anyone on this forum using that hardware?
www.therandymon.com

#8 User is offline   Seekamp 

• Chromebook Wizard
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostZafiro, on 28 October 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'm glad to read this. I was running Bodhi on a netbook whose hardware has given up the ghost. I'm shopping for new hardware. Was looking at the Samsung Chromebook and the Bodhi ARM port was what I'd have put on it. Looks like I won't buy that now.

There's the HP Chromebook (http://www.amazon.co...M/ref=de_a_smtd) running X86 instead. And looking around on the web, looks like Ubuntu - and therefore probably Bodhi - should work fine on it. Is anyone on this forum using that hardware?

Yean, I bought the Samsung ARM Chromebook because it was light, had no fan, and had great battery life. Were I buying one today, I would go with one of the new ones with the Haswell chip. This gives very long battery life. I think the HP you referenced is one of those, but I would recommend checking to make sure. Irrespective of whether bodhi is supported or not, there were quite a few non-bodhi programs I wanted to install that were only available for x86 and x86_64. Some I was able to download and compile, while others had proprietary pieces and I was just out of luck. At this point, I wouldn't recommend an ARM chromebook for Linux, since there are now Haswell-based alternatives available. Of course, if you just wanted to stick with ChromeOS the ARM ones would probably be OK.

--Chris
--Chris

#9 User is offline   Zafiro 

• Group: Members
  • LocationWest Africa

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostSeekamp, on 28 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

At this point, I wouldn't recommend an ARM chromebook for Linux, since there are now Haswell-based alternatives available. Of course, if you just wanted to stick with ChromeOS the ARM ones would probably be OK.

--Chris

That's good advice, I'll see if the HP 14 is a Haswell or not. As for ChromeOS, I don't think it's for me. I've got issues with Google and while I like Android well enough on my tablet, on a device with a keyboard I really want a Linux OS in all its blazing glory.
www.therandymon.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users