Jump to content

Photo

Considering pushing out the release timeline one month


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

    Lead Developer

  • Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

So currently our targeted release date for calling Bodhi's 3.0.0 branch "stable" is the end of July. After giving it some thought though, I am thinking about pushing this date out a month. Based on Ubuntu's release schedule their first update release for 14.04 is due out the third weekend of August. Generally any glaring bugs in their LTS releases are resolved by this point and I think it might be worth waiting the extra time to wait for these to happen.

In addition to this, it gives us extra time to test the Bodhi specific things we build. Essentially the July 27th date would become our second release candidate and then our stable release would come within a week of 14.04.1 releasing - so by August 28th.

A new major release is a big deal for us and I just want to make sure everything gets done right. Thoughts on this?

~Jeff



A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux


#2 kelticdruid

kelticdruid

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

i would agree with you jeff especially with a LTS release as i have found with main *buntu distro's nothing is more frustrating then getting errors and crashes once they are released. Once bodhi 3 is stable it will become my main OS for all systems in my home. keep up the good work.

kevin

#3 Theophobus

Theophobus

    Member

  • Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationUnterschleiƟheim, Germany

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Imho it makes the time between Bodhi 2.4 and the next public release a bit long, how about pushing everything that is in testing branch now to stable and make a quick 2.5 to shorten the gap? April 8. ;-) would be a nice date...

FOXTROT UNIFORM CHARLIE KILO the world
My Deviantart My personal BigBodhi disk


#4 Jeff

Jeff

    Lead Developer

  • Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Honestly - the biggest reason I never pushed an update to 2.4.0 is that the testing repos are using the combined 1.8 EFLs. These combined with a newer E version break support for a lot of existing E17 themes that are mostly functional on Bodhi 2.4.0. Even if they did work - at this point I don't want to redirect time and effort to working on an older release that is plenty stable at this point - why fix what isn't broken?

It isn't like we aren't going to be putting out testing releases during this time. It simply means that we won't be recommending 3.0.0 as the latest release until the end of August. People who feel the need to upgrade before that can always use one of our pre-releases (they won't be any less stable than Ubuntu 14.04). We have never been date focused, the product that is released is what matters - not when it gets there.

Ubuntu on the other hand is hard to their release dates and often puts out releases that aren't fully up to snuff in my past experience. Giving them time to mature is always good.

~Jeff

#5 smurfslover

smurfslover

    Member

  • Members
  • 434 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

We have never been date focused, the product that is released is what matters - not when it gets there.

Ubuntu on the other hand is hard to their release dates and often puts out releases that aren't fully up to snuff in my past experience. Giving them time to mature is always good.

~Jeff


Agree :)

#6 ContemplativeFarmer

ContemplativeFarmer

    Member

  • Team
  • 55 posts
  • LocationDepends on the day...

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Seems wise to me.

wjw

So currently our targeted release date for calling Bodhi's 3.0.0 branch "stable" is the end of July. After giving it some thought though, I am thinking about pushing this date out a month. Based on Ubuntu's release schedule their first update release for 14.04 is due out the third weekend of August. Generally any glaring bugs in their LTS releases are resolved by this point and I think it might be worth waiting the extra time to wait for these to happen.

In addition to this, it gives us extra time to test the Bodhi specific things we build. Essentially the July 27th date would become our second release candidate and then our stable release would come within a week of 14.04.1 releasing - so by August 28th.

A new major release is a big deal for us and I just want to make sure everything gets done right. Thoughts on this?

~Jeff


..life is a strange place...

ContemplativeFarmer

#7 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

    Member

  • Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Works for me. It's for a good reason, and people who don't want to wait can use the unstable version that does come out at that time.

#8 DennisD

DennisD

    Member

  • Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

No one wins the chili cookoff just by taking thier pot off the burner first, so . . .

Let her simmer, Jeff. Let her simmer.

#9 Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Linux is like wine, it gets better as time passes...! Take ur time and keep walking...! ;)
Dual boot Bodhi 2.4.0-32_non-pae/ Bodhi 3.0.0 legacy RC2 on eeepc 701 4G Surf

#10 elwoodblues

elwoodblues

    Member

  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Quality before anything else. :)

#11 PerditaLupo

PerditaLupo

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

My two cents: Yes, if you feel the need to push out Bodhi 3.0.0 a month later so that things can jell with ubuntu, I think that's reasonable.

As just a normal user guy ... I'd rather it be a more stable release and if that means waiting a month longer, so be it.

Having said that ... LOL, I just spent about 3 days (hours were erratic) setting up my desktop (and organizing) so that I like the way my bodhi 2.0 looks and feels.
I'm not actually in a hurry to scrap what I've worked so hard to build. However, it would be good practice to do what I just did, all over again (I am going to use remastersys and brasero anyway to back it up).

In fact, thinking about this just now, it would probably be a good idea to push bodhi out ... always ... a month after ubuntu works out its bugs in future LTS releases.

Okay so that was maybe more than 2 cents. You asked for it on irc, ... I opined. :) THANKS TEAM BODHI! for an excellent DISTRO! (and also to e17 folks!)

ttyl,
PerditaLupo on irc

So currently our targeted release date for calling Bodhi's 3.0.0 branch "stable" is the end of July. After giving it some thought though, I am thinking about pushing this date out a month. Based on Ubuntu's release schedule their first update release for 14.04 is due out the third weekend of August. Generally any glaring bugs in their LTS releases are resolved by this point and I think it might be worth waiting the extra time to wait for these to happen.

In addition to this, it gives us extra time to test the Bodhi specific things we build. Essentially the July 27th date would become our second release candidate and then our stable release would come within a week of 14.04.1 releasing - so by August 28th.

A new major release is a big deal for us and I just want to make sure everything gets done right. Thoughts on this?

~Jeff






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users