Jeff

Support Bodhi Linux with your Searches

I've added screenshots for Chrome/Midori to the first post. If anyone figures out how to do this in Firefox please share. There doesn't appear to be straight forward manner of doing it like there is in the other browsers.

~Jeff

Whenever I do a search in DuckDuckGo normally in Firefox, it appends a bit with "canonical" to it. I think if we can find wherever this setting is, we can fix it up.

The search engines seem to all be plugins. I use the DuckDuckGo Plus plugin, but searching the code for "canonical" on Github, it doesn't seem to be part of that at least. https://github.com/duckduckgo/firefox-zeroclickinfo/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=canonical&type=Code

Must be somewhere else.

Edited by Sitting Fox

To add the Bodhi Search to FireFox, you have to add the Add to Search add-on. Below are the steps to follow:

1. Navigate to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-to-search-bar/

XnlaYwO.png

2. Click +Add to FireFox

3. Select install now

EFjS1I4.png

4. Now navigate to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&t=bodhi

5. Right click in the search text box and select 'Add to Search Bar' from the menu

6. Enter a name for the search, I chose 'Bodhi at DuckDuckGo"

Boy5sqt.png

7. Click Ok

8. Now click on the Magnifying glass to the right of the address bar in FireFox

9. Select 'Change Search Settings'

10. In the Default Search Engine select Bodhi At DuckDuckGo

WJEhk1G.png

11. Click Close and then restart FireFox

Once all of these steps have been completed, you will be able to help support Bodhi and use DuckDuckGo all at the same time. What a wonderful idea!

• Like 3

Many thanks, Garheade, for this excellent explanation - it worked perfectly.

You could add at the end:

To check that this has worked, hover the mouse over the search box: the message 'Search using Bodhi at DuckDuckGo' appears.

Great to know it works for firefox. Once the new wiki is live this will all get moved there for sure.

~Jeff

Is there a particular reason why this isn't the default in Midori as shipped with a fresh install of the OS?

Oversight. Good catch. When we moved Ubuntu bases Ubuntu's midori configs must have taken over. I'll look into getting that corrected for our 4.1.0 release next month.

• Like 2

Might as well also make it the default for Firefox, as delivered by the Bodhi repos, as well as adding links to the Bodhi site, forums, wiki, etc.

Doing so would require repacking Firefox and doing so every time Firefox had an update in Ubuntu's repos. We have a limited amount of man power around here, and while this is not a bad idea unless someone capable volunteers for this I can't see Jeff, me or the rest of the team here who sometimes help with packaging deb files thinking this is a productive  use of our time. And how far are we going to take it, are we going to do the same for chromium, opera or the rest of the common and not so common web browsers? There is alot of higher priority things to work on. Just my thoughts I may be wrong tho...

• Like 1

Agreed. Repacking every browser under the sun every three days when they have an inevitable security update isn't worth the extra (maybe $10) / month we'd get from increased search revenue.

Is there a particular reason why this isn't the default in Midori as shipped with a fresh install of the OS?

So - getting around to checking things now before the 4.1.0 release and it looks like the search was properly configured in midori for 4.0.0