Sign in to follow this  
aeonius

Appcenter

First of all, i would like to thank the Bodhi Team and especially Jeff Hoogland to not discontinued Bodhi Linux.

I am a real newbie to Bodhi Linux and i am quite lost ...

I have just install the last RC of Bodhi Linux 3.0 , and i tried to install Apps with the AppCenter, but when i click on an install button, nothing happen.

Is it normal at this stage of developpment ?

moreover, could you help me to install a new theme and a new icons set ?

I apologize for these stupid questions.

I wish all the best for the Bodhi Team.

Best regards,

Yram

Clicking the install button will launch the Bodhi application installer. Are you using the Midori web browser when you click the "Install" button?

~Jeff

Yram I tried one of the themes from Midori, onix, then an esudo box launched and I had to enter my system password (the one you setup during install). then the bodhi application installer should come up. check behind the browser window for the esudo password dialog.

Welcome to the forum also! & there are no stupid questions!

Hi,

Some apps as proposition :

xarchiver

a simple mail watcher

conky

deadbeef

streamripper

smplayer-vaapi (the buntu repo none vaapi is totally useless)

shotwell

Why is smplayer useless without vaapi? It plays videos fine here without it.

Simply because it doesn't use the GPU but only the CPU, which is a nonsense with the actual power full GPU. It's like having a car with 4 wheels and use only 2 of them. Try the vaapi and look at the charge of the CPU vs none vaapi version. I even don't understand what the none vaapi version does in the buntu repos, nobody use that thing.

Not everybody has a dedicated graphics card. But all machines do come with an onboard graphic solution, be it a basic one or more sophisticated.

Thank you for calling me nobody.

Charles.

Charles,

Is the vaapi build of SMPlayer non-functional on systems without dedicated GPUs?

Charles,

Is the vaapi build of SMPlayer non-functional on systems without dedicated GPUs?

I've no idea. I only use stuff that is available in the repos and if this is not  I guess there is a reason for it.

Enjoy,

Charles.

If my information is correct VA-API will only have affect when your hardware is capable. It is neglected for other hardware. There is a gstreamer vaapi plugin AFAIK. Don't know if that will be all that is needed. Doesn't  mplayer have vaapi-support built-in?

Enjoy,

Charles.

If my information is correct VA-API will only have affect when your hardware is capable. It is neglected for other hardware. There is a gstreamer vaapi plugin AFAIK. Don't know if that will be all that is needed. Doesn't  mplayer have vaapi-support built-in?

Enjoy,

Charles.

This was my impression, but maybe smplayer needs this other version to access it? Honestly haven't researched it, I use VLC for everything personally.

One of the great things about Bodhi 2.4 ( besides the most fabulous desktop I have ever seen) was that Google Earth worked right out of the package. Unlike in Ubuntu or Mint where you had to constantly tinker with it to get it to work right if it ever. Will this be in the work for 3.0?

I don't recall doing anything specific in Bodhi 2.x for Google Earth. If you are having trouble installing Google Earth on Bodhi 3.0.0 you should open a support request thread.

@ Jeff & Charles : mplayer vaapi don't need a dedicated GPU it use the IGP if vaapi capable, which intel (per example) is, I do so (i7) even if I have a GPU on board. In fact it's just a matter of how mplayer is compiled (with/without -vaapi flag), but the buntu repos seems to prefer let the people add PPA  in state of put that flag ! Even if is compiled -vaapi, you can choose the video output you want. Dont need gstreamer-vaapi, just install mplayer-vaapi + i965-va-driver (intel) and it's done.

Vlc is nice but very very very heavy and eat a lot of resources (build in codecs) and unuseable with certain IGP/GPU, specially AMD/fglrx, I never reach to play an 1080p video without stuttering on my desktop with a Phenom II x6 / HD7750. VLC is famous for being tricky on HD & stuttering...  

Sushi - it really sounds like what you want is hardware specific and should not be the default. I'd be more than happy to add it to the Bodhi repos if you make a software request in the thread, but I doubt it will replace the stock smplayer on the app center.

Maybe you understood me wrong... Nothing to do with hardware specific just with the possibility for the majority to use the hardware acceleration with a software that you propose which is able of that. Users of Intel IGP (a lot of laptops) & nvidia IGP/GPU will benefit from it. An option that VLC has as default in every repos (need just to enable it).

I can do the request if you show the link for that but I'll anyway install the vaapi version , proposed by a repo or a PPA or compiled. Why should a cpu be "overloaded" opposed an IGP/GPU done for that..?

Maybe you understood me wrong... Nothing to do with hardware specific just with the possibility for the majority to use the hardware acceleration with a software that you propose which is able of that. Users of Intel IGP (a lot of laptops) & nvidia IGP/GPU will benefit from it. An option that VLC has as default in every repos (need just to enable it).

I can do the request if you show the link for that but I'll anyway install the vaapi version , proposed by a repo or a PPA or compiled. Why should a cpu be "overloaded" opposed an IGP/GPU done for that..?

This page last updated 01/01/2015 indicates that the vaapi version is still in the development branch.  I believe Jeff defaults to the last STABLE version of a package.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VAAPI

Don't understand me wrong, I don't won't (need) to convince anybody. Taken that way, everything is in development branch what concerns computing.

Maybe an archive manager like file-roller can be added to the appcentre?? Seems like an essential tool for a lot of people.

I think that is a great idea. I was actually looking for one last night.

I think that is a great idea. I was actually looking for one last night.

That is a great Idea...I just made a request for Xarchiver in the Software request thread. Great minds think alike I guess.

I would like to suggest a couple of applications for consideration for the app center:

Autokey:  AutoKey is a desktop automation utility for Linux and X11.

https://code.google.com/p/autokey/

Cherry Tree: A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Thanks!

mdg

These are both in the repositories already. Autokey seems like something which has a complexity that means it really doesn't belong on the app center. Anyone looking for that level of control likely knows their way around synaptic or event apt-get.

Sign in to follow this