Sign in to follow this  
Bodhisattwa

[SOLVED] Changing icons manually

Question

Hello, :)

A few day ago I had a system glitch during boot and had to hard-restart computer. Now, applications icons in the launcher bar and places widget have been restored to default which doesn't look so good with my favorite theme. How can I set icons manually for these two desktop items manually?

15 answers to this question

Can you post a screenshot about what exactly you are looking to change? I'm not sure I understand from your description.

~Jeff

I'm trying to change default icons for application panel at the bottom of the screen(the icon for Midori is lost, vlc and xbmc too), for Places widget at right side and icons that appear in PCmanFM. All that because lxappearance for some reason doesn't work any more. The screenshots:

Current look of my desktop

pPtM7OD.jpg

And I would like to use LaGa icons

wmHshNG.jpg

The only thing I've managed so far was to switch the theme with gtk-chtheme, but it's all it can do. So, how can I restore the artwork(the icon theme)?

To change the icon set E uses in your menu go to:

Settings->All->Look->Application Theme->Icons

And select the icon set you want.

~Jeff

To change the icon set E uses in your menu go to:

Settings->All->Look->Application Theme->Icons

And select the icon set you want.

~Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I've already tried that. Trouble is, only AwOken is listed. Is there any other way?

That likely means your icon theme doesn't meet the standards set out for icon sets on Linux.

Aside from that tool you'd have to manually assign icon paths via .desktop launchers for the applications.

Generally these are located in /usr/share/applications, but I would strongly recommended against doing this. Maybe drop the icon set creator a note.

~Jeff

Thanks again Jeff, :)

Maybe you haven't understood from my question, for some reason, after the glitch occured and I had to hard-reset my computer, lxappearance is not saving changes, and I am unable to change anything using that tool. The icon worked Ok before the glich (part of icons package mentioned in artwork section on the old Bodhi site, nearly 2 dozen icon-themes) and now I see only AwOken in the system tool you've mentioned in your previous post. There should be at least 2 dozen others.

I'm sure everything is fine with icon-theme but gui tools stopped working. The rest of the OS seems to work Ok, and now I'm just looking for the way to change icon-theme manually. Is it possible without lxappearance or E17 tool to edit some config file by hand and set desired icon-theme? Or fix E17 tool?

You can try resetting your E config.

You can do this by running:

mv ~/.e ~/.e_bk

And then logging out and logging back in.

You can also try setting the icon theme in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.

~Jeff

Thank you Jeff, :)

Reseting E did help some as I was able at least to change icons appearing in PCManFM. However, for some reason, it still lists only AwOken icon-set while I have many more installed as is seen in the screenshot...

vMxBbd1.jpg

...and what's new is, now I cannot add any apps to the application panel, right clicking does nothing. It's just blank :blink: Also, I have already tried to edit .gtkrc but that doesn't work or fix anything.

Honestly not sure. I don't have any 2.4.0 systems I have left that I've been updating. Never had this issue last time I was on the platform. Perhaps someone else around might have some other ideas.

~Jeff

• Like 1

Were you able to get your wallpaper back? (You may still have it in case you followed Jeff's step to rename the .e folder ) :)

It was one among the files at /home so no problems with that but I've noticed that network gadget(sorry for previously calling them widgets) doesn't work. It is complaining that econnman doesn't exist. Similar case with Temperature gadget which is not showing it but doesn't complain in any way either. If customizing XBMC did not take as much time as it did, I would seriously consider to clean install the newest Bodhi RC.

It was one among the files at /home so no problems with that but I've noticed that network gadget(sorry for previously calling them widgets) doesn't work. It is complaining that econnman doesn't exist. Similar case with Temperature gadget which is not showing it but doesn't complain in any way either. If customizing XBMC did not take as much time as it did, I would seriously consider to clean install the newest Bodhi RC.

You can always consider using dpkg-repack to rebuild the .deb for XBMC from the installed version and it should include any customizations you have done.....then next time you install it's all configured. Obviously you'd want to also back up any kodi/xbmc directories as well if you had custom files not from the initial package.

• Like 1

You can always consider using dpkg-repack to rebuild the .deb for XBMC from the installed version and it should include any customizations you have done.....then next time you install it's all configured. Obviously you'd want to also back up any kodi/xbmc directories as well if you had custom files not from the initial package.

Actually, I was not even aware that this is possible, so big THANKS for the tip! :)

Sign in to follow this