Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Name ideas for a PDF Viewer

Starting work on a PDF Viewer in Elementary. Any ideas for a good name?

I think ePDFview is a pretty good name for an Enlightenment PDF viewer...  :rolleyes:  :D

ePDFView is actually a GTK Pdf reader that is in the repos. My base set of features will have the goal of mimicing what that does.

Thanks to python being awesome I was able to base my start on ePad so I have the core set up and functional with tabs and such already:

e-54f05cf6e2cb25.49015879.png

ePDFView is actually a GTK Pdf reader that is in the repos. 

...you don't say*...

*Sarcasm included for your enjoyment

eva or some variant  E)lementary V)iewer for A)dobe

eview or evue with the potential to support more documents than just pdf in future...perhaps a light office document reader/printer.

ePoDF (ePoD etc) or some variant.   ezpdf  (easy pdf) or ezpdfview

ePdf taken? :)

Bodhi-Pdf? :)

This help myself, so i just search Bodhi to install all the tools. :)

eeVee gained bookmark support today:

e-54f72875cb3294.10448213.png

Sadly code I'm using in eeVee requires EFL 1.14 - so it won't be in the main bodhi repo for a little while until this update comes down the pipe.

• Like 1

I've added eeVee to the main repo, but it needs EFL/Elm versions from the gitcha branch to be fully functional.

I've added eeVee to the main repo, but it needs EFL/Elm versions from the gitcha branch to be fully functional.

installed and looks ok. I noticed no icon and trying to set one via everything did not work. I found it installed under office section. When I open a pdf that has over 150 pages, the next page button only gives me a one page advance. The previous page button seems to work fine. Also would be nice to have a print option. Noticed it will not let you fill in any pdf forms that have editable fields as well.

I doubt this will ever support fillable forms or printing. It is going to be like epad in that it will be a "simple by design" tool.

What behavior are you expecting from the "next page" button if it isn't going to the next page?

What icon set are you using? eeVee has an icon under the default Numix icon set Bodhi 3.0 uses.

I doubt this will ever support fillable forms or printing. It is going to be like epad in that it will be a "simple by design" tool.

What behavior are you expecting from the "next page" button if it isn't going to the next page?

What icon set are you using? eeVee has an icon under the default Numix icon set Bodhi 3.0 uses.

Next page only gives advance of one page. If you have a 3 or more pages it will not go past page 2. I figured my icon theme was the issue, but when I try to add a icon myself it will not take effect. I'm wondering why make a viewer then? If you can not print from it? What would be the reason for using it? I dont want to sound harsh, I just dont understand.

For viewing PDF files. I have a need to browse dozens of different PDFs for work every week, but I very rarely have to print them out.

That seems like a reasonable request for the next page button and is likely the expected behavior. I'll look into changing that.

For viewing PDF files. I have a need to browse dozens of different PDFs for work every week, but I very rarely have to print them out.

That seems like a reasonable request for the next page button and is likely the expected behavior. I'll look into changing that.

I see. Also I uploaded a screen cast to show what I'm talking about. It should be ready for viewing. If you let me know I will remove it once you look at it.

Removed video link.

Edited by tgentry

To advance a "screen" would page up and page down handle that?  That's if you wanted next page to jump to a physical page.  I guess my pdf usage is different..I regularly use the print to file feature and pull up coupons etc from the web so my usual usage is to pull up a pdf and print it off.......although I don't see much need to edit one in my personal case.  Of course printing doesn't have to be super complicated...could just be a call to the command line print commands.  I'm not sure I'd use a view only utility due to file associations because if I click on a pdf I may or may not want it to open an app that allows printing so I'd have to go manually into epdfview or another and open the pdf inside it to print.  I'd rather associate a printable app and then not need it.

To advance a "screen" would page up and page down handle that?  That's if you wanted next page to jump to a physical page.  I guess my pdf usage is different..I regularly use the print to file feature and pull up coupons etc from the web so my usual usage is to pull up a pdf and print it off.......although I don't see much need to edit one in my personal case.  Of course printing doesn't have to be super complicated...could just be a call to the command line print commands.  I'm not sure I'd use a view only utility due to file associations because if I click on a pdf I may or may not want it to open an app that allows printing so I'd have to go manually into epdfview or another and open the pdf inside it to print.  I'd rather associate a printable app and then not need it.

I didnt try page up / page down but that does work. I just tried using the arrows at the top for next page / previous page the next page only advances one page. If you have more than 2 pages it will not work.

tgentry - are you using the "gitcha" repo branch? It is required for eeVee to be fully functional as it contains an early Elm 1.14 which eeVee needs.

I mentioned that in my post where I said I added eeVee to the repo :)

tgentry - are you using the "gitcha" repo branch? It is required for eeVee to be fully functional as it contains an early Elm 1.14 which eeVee needs.

I mentioned that in my post where I said I added eeVee to the repo :)

I just used the ones in the synaptic listing. I will try with the ones from gitcha. 

Fair warning the gitcha branch may come with some stability issues, ect. ect.

There is a reason packages are there and not in main :)

• Like 1