Jeff

Introducing the Moksha Desktop

I may get run out on a rail for suggesting this... but with this logo and how good the numix icons look in bodhi...I would not be opposed to moksha being a material design desktop by default...

just sayin'

don't shoot me please

Also not opposed to this personally. Changing the default theme for Moksha is something that 100% will be happening. While the default E theme is interesting, I think it is too dark / drastic for a default.

• Like 1

My thing with the full-name logos though is, how would you represent it small-wise? Just use the O? Seems weird to me when it starts with an M, but maybe that's me.

But you know, I'm not put off by it being similar to Bodhi's logo either, so :lol:

And the thing with Unown...I knew something was poking at the back of my head! That's what it was, that it was like Unown! :lol:

edit: Because I can, and have a few minutes.

CI9HOJI.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Also not opposed to this personally. Changing the default theme for Moksha is something that 100% will be happening. While the default E theme is interesting, I think it is too dark / drastic for a default.

Material design consider a specific layout also for applications, so I suppose we have to restyle some elm apps to match its design.

AND Material distros are still present.

By the way, I agree to don't use default dark theme and I've already gave Jeff, if he whish, my will to develop a theme for Moksha.

The O could be the logo, but also the M that looks like a bird is pretty cool. And a lot of DE doesn't use their first letter for their logos (Ubuntu, MATE, KDE, Fedora, Gnome, ... ) :D

The O could be the logo, but also the M that looks like a bird is pretty cool. And a lot of DE doesn't use their first letter for their logos (Ubuntu, MATE, KDE, Fedora, Gnome, ... ) :D

Hey Duma,

I'm not saying it has to be the logo entirely, but when a small version is needed, what to use? I think that's important to figure out.

For instance, open up the main menu. I'm sure the Enlightenment entry near the bottom would be replaced with a Moksha one. What logo would fit that icon there? Not a full name one.

G5cTOkW.png

In Bodhi's case, its full logo is easily simplified to the leaf symbol part, cutting all aspects of the name entirely. Fits and looks good in a small, square space.

Maybe the O or the M could work in those cases (for the design that's currently on this page).

Edited by Sitting Fox
  • Like 2

Tried to give a more neutral look, inspired (for shadow) from the "fashon / trendy" (not very proud of it...) Material Design:

5Z9GQCf.png

IMO ...Doesn't line up or look quite right... the "desktop" verbiage should line up underneath the bottoms.  Still its nice looking....

I like the colors in this one by duma a lot.

What does it look like with less drug out shadows and more of the small "dropshadow" like the orange and blue has?

IMO, I prefer a soft shadow, here's some examples :D

16vmsWo.png

I like that first one in your last post duma.

I do too, but I like the second one more as it is crisper and not so blurry. I also share kevison's thought about it not lining up right. Maybe the "Desktop" part should be below the Moksha text, and the "ha" on the same line as the "Moks".

Hey Duma,

I'm not saying it has to be the logo entirely, but when a small version is needed, what to use? I think that's important to figure out.

-------------

Maybe the O or the M could work in those cases (for the design that's currently on this page).

I like the idea of using the O as the small symbol. After all, Bodhi and Moksha share the letter!

Edit: Also, should there be a separate forum section for Moksha now?

The E17 section will become the Moksha section once I have the source code beaten into a form that is a reasonable package I am happy with sharing for the first time.

I do too, but I like the second one more as it is crisper and not so blurry. I also share kevison's thought about it not lining up right. Maybe the "Desktop" part should be below the Moksha text, and the "ha" on the same line as the "Moks".

What about this? It is cenetered like the first, but it less blurry.

I've moved also the "ha" at the level of "Moks".

MPVYvu0.png

Of course we can colour the dark gray part, if we prefer.

The E17 section will become the Moksha section once I have the source code beaten into a form that is a reasonable package I am happy with sharing for the first time.

Jeff at the moment for the more impatient guys cloning the git repo with moksha and try to compile get something different from E17?

Are there particular build dependencies?

Hmm, still prefer the original font and the way it's lined out. Tried to add some bevel and emboss to have a 3D-ish style. The cogs are still flat though. Needs to be redone.

npZFMZW.png

Fun to play with that old Photoshop version 5.5 (remember Win95?) again.

Enjoy,

Charles

Jeff at the moment for the more impatient guys cloning the git repo with moksha and try to compile get something different from E17?

Are there particular build dependencies?

No, still the E core. Always will be.

The build deps are the same as E17 currently.

What about this? It is cenetered like the first, but it less blurry.

I've moved also the "ha" at the level of "Moks".

MPVYvu0.png

Of course we can colour the dark gray part, if we prefer.

This, but with the 'classic drop shadow' from your previous post. And just out of curiosity, how does this look on colored backdrops?

Hey Duma,

There's a slight issue with this file. The shadows are cut off by invisible boxes. If I view the image in Gimp, there's no issue.

9Ao3YpY.png

he shadow is created with Inkscape, so it is a SVG filter. Maybe the browser can't render well?

So I'd have to convert to png for each size I'd like to use if I want to use the image on a site? That kinda sucks. No way of fixing it?

Forgive me, I just wanted to see what this great logo looked like with the M slanted the other way. Also wanted to see what it looked like with just the O.

moksha_bw2.png

moksha-small_bw1.png

Duma, I completely stole your work and don't intend on doing anything more with this. Pretty sure the shadow is messed up on the newly slanted M too, I'm not very good at this.  :)  I just figured that since I made the changes for my own curiosity, I'd share and see if anyone else liked the way it looks with the alternative M slanting.