Jeff

Introducing the Moksha Desktop

I think this new idea is interesting, but I can't help but get a bit of a creep factor. I think it's because it seems like there's a double iris thing going on. I feel like the "eye whites" would fall into the place outside of the circle but between the outside stuff.

• Like 1

LTNS. Just installed. Borrowed someone's logo (Duma's) and added Compton since I can't get Ecomorph working in VirtualBox.

Bodhi.jpg

• Like 4

Here's the version light bordered and light shadowed from <-sef> and Stabak's ideas :D

awZ4QUm.png

Yeah that icon on dark themes doesn't look good... maybe add a lighter glow on dark spikes?

Hey guys,

I was wondering, what if we did the full-name logo version such that the sun/gear bits are around the M and not the O?

This definitely might be helpful in making the M look better facing this particular way.

Not gonna lie, seeing the M facing both ways in LKJ's screenshot seems kind of weird to me. Could maybe just flip the little M the other way instead too. But either way, making them match seems like a good idea. Facing opposite ways just feels off.

Update: Quickly threw this together from Duma's image to show what I mean. (So definitely not meant to be perfect.)

M-left:

upRB4Xq.png

M-right:

ARx0o8d.png

I do think if we keep the rays around the O, that the M should probably face to the right. Looks better, I think.

Overall, I like how the M looks like a bird, and then it's like it's flying toward the sun. Go seagull, go! Toward a brighter tomorrow!

• Like 1

Heya benevolex,

Did you see Stabak's last idea?

there... http://www.megafileupload.com/22P6/mokshapalm.svg

mokshaeye.png

imho too abstract

It freaks me out a bit though. :lol: I think it's the double iris.

So if I were to try to do real quick fixes to that, it'd be:

0KUD3M6.png

69CvMhJ.png

V1baJEG.png

A circle smaller than the 2nd's, but bigger than the 3rd's, might look nice.

I still think I prefer the free birdie. Definitely less freaky to click on. No "poking eyes". :lol:

• Like 1

@sittingfox ... the mystic moksha eye gazes upon all...... to mason-ry for me.... or looks like it has eye liner on it....  none of those images look right to me anyways.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and an ancient symbol could fill a novel.   Symbology is a language in itself.

Any kind of circle/eyeball/sun/pyramidal symbols are a no-no if you don't want to be called an Illuminati organization by the conspiracists.  Let's avoid that. 

I've always been kinda iffy with E's sun-eye-logo motif, since it's essentially a mix of an "e" sun and sun-rays that look like eyelashes around an eyeball.  As a student of symbology, this tells me that either the E devs don't understand the basics of sacred geometry and the occult and have no clue what their logos mean or they're trying to send a message with them.  In this case, I would say it's the former, but after seeing them sell out to the corporate world...  no comment.

In the case of the moksha logo, I'd strongly suggest not to use the E sun-ray motif around the "o" of moksha, and really not to use it at all.  If you want a throwback to E in moksha, I'd suggest doing it with language in the moksha motto, not by recycling any of E's esoteric symbolism.

Also, I would scrap stabak's logo with the sun rays and little triangles on the edge of the circle that turn it into an eyeball/vesica pices.  I appreciate the effort, but to me, that screams "Whatever this logo represents is owned by people who hate you." I don't even see a way to edit the symbolism out of that and recycle it.

The dot in the "o" of moksha makes it into a bullseye-like symbol.  This has been touted as the oldest symbol in existence.  It is yet another ancient esoteric symbol involved in religions and myths around the world that we should avoid.

Lastly, on top of the "a" of the moksha logo being a pyramidal icon (red flag!), it is a chevron with a dot/circle under it.  This is another ancient esoteric symbol that has multiple layers of meaning (mostly sexual), is highly related to christianity and occultism before it, and is purposefully similar to the star and crescent of islam..  This should be avoided like the plague, but it's not as common as the standard symbols you'll hear of in fringe-conspiracy rants.   Oh, and it's also basically an upside-down vonage logo.  And they chose that logo because it's an upside down chevron and dot, not by coincidence. 

And in case you think I'm a nut, here's a challenge for you.  Find any company with an esoteric symbol in their logo, read through the fine print of their service contracts, and you'll find they seem to be very friendly with big-brother and very cold and uncaring toward their users.  It's uncanny how that works.

Let's just say that after years of studying this kinda stuff, I'm certain that the recurrence of certain symbols throughout corporate logos, governments, and architecture around the world and throughout history is not a coincidence.  It's a "thing" that dates back to ancient mystery schools that became the secret societies of today, it's a trick used by organizations to identify with one another as "being on the same team", and we definitely don't want to be associated with it.

Here's a quick look at some designs we should try to avoid.

Hey kevison. Like I said, I prefer the birdie M.

Deepspeed, interesting opinion. But yeah, I'm going to have to say that sounds too harsh for my blood. Although I think there is some care in choosing the shapes, yeah, I can't really agree with the stance you take.

Can understand trying not to take from E, but some of the rest....yeah..... But I guess people come in all kinds.

It's nice to inspire a possible new direction though. Some neat ideas can be squeezed out in a situation of limitations. In that, Deepspeed, do you have any ideas? :)

It's definitely just my opinion.  Not many people care to know the nerdy details of symbols.  It's a deep rabbit hole. :P

And my idea would be to change the bits of the font that are esoteric symbols to something else that is still interesting and not related to sex or solar gods or pyramids or a supposed family tomb of Jesus and his descendants,(Yes, our logo has all of that) and not related to 'the mysteries' in general.   If I had any visual art skills, I'd have a go, but I'm terrible with that stuff.

It's not so much about not taking from E, it's about not using symbols that will feed the trolls.  I can't say I believe all the crazy crap you see in conspiracy theories, but some people do, and I can definitely say I've seen what kinda stuff is said about people using these symbols in their logos.  The conclusions I draw from these symbols is a lot more sane than most you'll find.  You think what I'm saying is crazy?  Go look at some of the other rants about this kinda stuff online.  To say, "It gets weird" is an understatement.  I simply don't think we want to be associated with that group of logos-containing-ancient-symbols.

Fair enough. :P

But if you think of something more to add, share it. (Like an idea/design that would be good to you.) Since you know more about all the symbols, you might have a better chance at coming up with something that is good to you than hope someone else picks things right when we're far from being familiar. :lol:

I am still unsure why you want to change or even make new logo so drastically different from Bodhi one.

If Moksha is born in Bodhi, why it is should not have similar logo?

Fd4nPij.png

That should have been trees, yet it ended up like antlers (facepalm)

• Like 3

I am still unsure why you want to change or even make new logo so drastically different from Bodhi one.

If Moksha is born in Bodhi, why it is should not have similar logo?

Fd4nPij.png

That should have been trees, yet it ended up like antlers (facepalm)

... all you need now are crosshairs. :P

Well, I would have suggested the same things if I had been around when bodhi's logos were being made.  But also, keep in mind that I don't own bodhi/moksha lol.  These are my suggestions, not orders.  I think it makes sense to avoid the possible bad press involved.  The symbols I mentioned are the symbological equivalent of using a giant middle finger for a logo in the minds of some people.

I kind of like the "m" with the e "glow" effect around it I've used in the MokshaRadiance theme

Vaidotas, I think that's definitely an interesting route you're going. :) If you have other Bodhi-like ideas, keep 'em coming I say!

Deepspeed, I believe Vaidotas was speaking of those who said the Moksha logo should not resemble Bodhi's logo at all earlier on in the discussion.

I installed Moksha today in my production machine. I like it and it worked a lot faster than E19. The downside is that all my applications look bright grey (Radiance theme) and i prefer by far a dark grey for working with graphic apps. So i ended switching to the default theme (E17 i think), but this has a few inconsistencies with the icons, poorly visible as they have a similar grey. Exists a setting to change to a darker look in Moksha or it's a future plan to have a dark grey full Moksha theme?

You can still change your icon set in Moksha just like most other desktops including Enlightenment.

Change the icon set with Settings -> look -> application theme, icon tab.

Make sure you have both the option checked.

• Like 1