Jeff

Things Moksha Could do Better

Question

After we get the base rolling with a few bug fixes, module integration, and bodhi patches I want to start making some improvements to Moksha. So - what are some things you've always wished E did differently that we can change for Moksha?

My top three are:

• More modern / trim Main Menu - the current one feels cluttered and looks like something straight out of Windows 98
  • Improved settings panel - the current one is a bear to find things in. A search option would be lovely.
  • Improved keybindings / edge bindings list - For the love of god these two need a search option

• Like 3

This seems like a minor bug in E17 but it effects me often.  I've posted about it before as 3.0 was being developed but since it was a bug in E17's code all we could do was work around it.  

In enlightenment file manager if you enable the option for single click to open files AND you have the option to open dir in place then E crashes.

I would love it if that little bug was fixed!

• Like 1

As everyone are suggesting how Moksha could be improved compared to E here are my 5cent:

- Double tab window title to maximize whole window like in all normal DE

- Systray which works

- Decent file manager, I am starting to like Thunar, PCmanFM like in old releases was nice too

- Out of box network support (samba)

- Configurable login manager, it is small stuff which makes distro great, customization is one of the keys

-One key start for Everything launcher, if I am not mistaken you need at-least two keys to set shortcut

• Like 1

I think making double-tapping the bar simply configurable would be awesome. Making it maximize, make it minimize/iconify, keep the shading, whatever.

• Like 1

Vaidotas, you may have to reconsider your definition of normal. I sit with Sitting Fox, make it configurable (it isn't yet?), but feel free to pick what action the double tap will do. now that's enlightened definition of 'normal';) I recall that when I accidentally double clicked the title bar in --ew--windows it maximized and covered everything else (I think you can hardly manipulate a maximised window); I would hardly call that *spit* a normal DE   S-P-I-T (had to check)

BTW Vaidotas, I was able to bind one key for Launch everything e.g. Pause. Remember that the e devs may have set it with a 2 key launch, but there is 'delete binding' or 'modify binding' or simply ignore their setting and proceed with Add binding and use 1 key to do it. The road to enlightenment goes a little further up, or down.

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions here. Single buttons for key bindings is a really good idea. I know I'd love to be able to bind something to just the "super" key.

• Like 3

Lots of good suggestions here. Single buttons for key bindings is a really good idea. I know I'd love to be able to bind something to just the "super" key.

Exactly!

• Like 1

As everyone are suggesting how Moksha could be improved compared to E here are my 5cent:

And E it's not "special", it's a normal DE as all the others: http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/12403-e17-new-window-placement/&do=findComment&comment=92320 :D

Ok, is already has this feature, but then it could come outofbox. As in years I was using it never for some reason found it :D

As my PC uses dual monitors maximizing windows is quite useful. 

I think putting the Signal Bindings in the same place as Key Bindings, Edge Bindings, etc. in the main menu would be a good idea.

But I have no interest in replacing the default, never liking the maximize version myself, but that's me. At the end of the day, people can customize it to what they want though, so I can deal with whatever. Just think the better thing to fix is making Signal Bindings more discoverable.

- Systray which works

- Decent file manager, I am starting to like Thunar, PCmanFM like in old releases was nice too

- Out of box network support (samba)

- Configurable login manager, it is small stuff which makes distro great, customization is one of the keys

-One key start for Everything launcher, if I am not mistaken you need at-least two keys to set shortcut

I hate to be picky, but I think some of these things are related more to bodhi and the packages that are decidedly installed or left out. Moksha would have to do more about how to interface with the linux operating system and also control the appearance of windows.

- Whether to install whichever file manager is a bodhi function.

- Network support of samba would also be a bodhi function.

- Also, I think that the login manager (display manger) would very likely be related more to bodhi than moksha. There are exceptions. If I have a gnome desktop and uninstall it, it will also uninstall GDM. Though I don't have a ton of experience regarding the relationship of DM's to their relative desktop, so perhaps I can default to Jeff on this one. :)

The only reason I mention it is because this list could end up getting pretty long if we don't start separating the bodhi stuff from the moksha stuff. Also, we could end up changing the bodhi core when many like it the way it is, with user choice being the ultimate option and power.

Maybe a good way to think about it is:  If I completely uninstalled Moksha, would this be left behind in the Bodhi Operating System? If so, it's related to Bodhi, if not, it's related to Moksha.

• Like 2

I'm aware of these differences sef, but it is useful to point them out for others.

For instance one thing Moksha can do better is fuller integration of third party file managers.

• Like 2

For instance one thing Moksha can do better is fuller integration of third party file managers.

I don't know how deep can go the edits of E core, but maybe reduce the EFM functionality to a desktop viewer and let all to a 3rd part file manager (in case of missing a 3rd part FM, maybe it display EFM).

Or something like places module, where you can put  a file manager for open disks. The same for EFM on Desktop (or in the main menu, its navigation is cool).

Has thought been given to writing a Human Interface Guidelines document and then fixing things to comply with it? Does the parent E project have such a thing already which could be customized for Moksha's expected userbase?

edit:

Same for coding guidelines.

I hope its IRC shows more signs of life. We want it to be more active like the others (Ubuntu et al, mandrake during its glory days, etc)

so that they can try things right there. and not have to wait that long

I'm just chiming in to support the idea of the illume keyboard as a module. Other elements of the tablet stuff from prior versions of E would be nice, too, if they could just be added and removed like any normal module. (I'm thinking of the desktop launcher, for instance.)

I'm also a big, big fan of Thunar so would love it if the file manager were configurable. It's not E, but it's also not EFM which is some sort of torture-test to determine whether you're crazy enough to be an E developer. If you can't use it as root, it's not a tool, it's a placebo. (Has that changed recently? Couldn't use it as root when I last tried.)

I believe not allowing one to use the file manager as root was a smart decision, when you take a long hard look at it. Sure you may not be a cowboy coder on the level of an e developer. Will that stop you from using a terminal and start typing sudo something-or-other or pulling that command line thingie from your utility belt and type the appropriate command (really was it mv or cp), or are you starting to devise a crutch by picking yet another file manager that has it? Start using those hardly used brain cells, man! or just throw in the towel and boot i don't know, ubuntu (sorry to those wannabes and sudoers; there, at least I separated them).

I use a drop down console utility called yeahconsole similar to qingy when I need to keep track of admin-like steps. Leave those file managers for those newbies refusing to learn the command line, and their questions will always be along the lines of How do I install.... You don't need to climb to the top of the mountain. Really. The posers are over there, see that crowd? The enlightened ones though, will be expecting you at the top, with the question, what took you so long.

Maybe add a 'switch user' selection to the System Controls module. I do it by issuing the command 'dm-tool switch-to-greeter'.

I've been torn as to whether to suggest this or not. It opens the default DM in another tty. (Typically tty8 if tty7 is currently running X) Then you can login as another user, however, it's not a good idea to log in as the same user twice as it causes instability. To get back to the previous user's session, go to tty7. For security, might want to make the command 'enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock && dm-tool switch-to-greeter'. Removing the possibility of logging in twice as the same user would take a little tweaking of LightDM.

It's a good command to know so you don't have to exit out of enlightenment and lose all your windows just to switch users. But it might not be ready for prime-time yet because of the possiblity of logging in as the same user twice.

I doubt we are going to be adding features as major as supporting multiple users logging in.

This rather far, but,

Integration of Personal Information Management and Cloud Services Management Modules. :)

• Like 1

I'm aware of these differences sef, but it is useful to point them out for others.

sorry to ask, but in which way aren't they integrated yet? I've installed and am using both thunar (for the folder URI input field) and gnome files (for the recent files hotfolder) alongside efm (for the speed of its UI and previewing pictures) and all 3 seem to work quite similar (in terms of great) and i have no clue what makes them different in terms of integration...

- Improved drag and drop of app icons to the iBar (pain in the ..., takes 4-5 tries),

- Better multi screen support, pagers for example, one for the screens combined,

- Theme files get messed up, for example when switching from one theme to another on some apps the previous theme is still there.

What type of applications are you seeing the previous theme still in when changing themes? Are they GTK / QT apps?

Hi Jeff,

ePad, eeUpdater for example.

I suppose you have to change theme from Elementary Configuration, it is something that on e19 was changed, but Elementary themes on e17 were managed separately from Edj ones.