Jeff

Things Moksha Could do Better

Question

After we get the base rolling with a few bug fixes, module integration, and bodhi patches I want to start making some improvements to Moksha. So - what are some things you've always wished E did differently that we can change for Moksha?

My top three are:

• More modern / trim Main Menu - the current one feels cluttered and looks like something straight out of Windows 98
  • Improved settings panel - the current one is a bear to find things in. A search option would be lovely.
  • Improved keybindings / edge bindings list - For the love of god these two need a search option

• Like 3

Wow this pretty much kills Moksha for me.

I've always seen switching users as a basic feature?

I used to see this as a basic feature until I started using enlightenment all the time. I have learned to live without it.

I am referring to the amount of work it takes to create such a feature. Patches are welcome - if someone else wants to do the work, we will integrate it into moksha. This isn't a trivial task though - which is why E has never supported this.

I already have a decent TODO list of things I want to do as my time to work on Bodhi allows and this just doesn't make the cut. It is something many people have zero need for.

It is certainly not a trivial task, i have looked thru the code of other window managers/desktop environments as well as e17s code to suspend a user. More than I feel comfortable tackling.

• Like 1

To be clear though, you can have multiple users. Just no multiple users signed in at once that you switch between. You have to log out before someone else can log in.

I could see someone being confused by some of what was said above, so I thought it was worth pointing out.

• Like 2

I used to see this as a basic feature until I started using enlightenment all the time. I have learned to live without it.

It is certainly not a trivial task, i have looked thru the code of other window managers/desktop environments as well as e17s code to suspend a user. More than I feel comfortable tackling.

Thanks for the reply's.

Its just something I use when a family member wants to borrow my laptop when I'm in the middle of something.

A button to add a command line in the Startup Application dialog.

or at least, just a message stating to add an application in the list, you should go to Personal Application Launchers and click Add button.

I believe something is in the pipe for Swami as Jeff stated here, so it's just a reminder.

One more thing I would like to be improved is the screen shot tool.

It will be nice it if could copy the image in the clipboard (like it is usually done in most environment).

And it will be great, if it would allow choosing a zone in the screen.

Of course, one can always use another screen capture tool (like the one in Gimp, for instance), but I would think the OS should provide a decent tool out of the box.

I quite like the one in elementary OS Freya.

Something tells me this won't be possible, or at least not without like months of development, but maybe a GUI for customizing one's theme like changing the colour of the shelves, icons used for gadgets, the position and icons used for the window buttons (minimize, maximize and close), etc.

Something tells me this won't be possible, or at least not without like months of development, but maybe a GUI for customizing one's theme like changing the colour of the shelves, icons used for gadgets, the position and icons used for the window buttons (minimize, maximize and close), etc.

Since this has been asked alot it is worth noting this used to be possible in a sense in previous version of enlightenment. One could choose elements from other themes and apply it to the current theme. Evidently this feature got removed by the e devs for some reason.

Since this has been asked alot it is worth noting this used to be possible in a sense in previous version of enlightenment. One could choose elements from other themes and apply it to the current theme. Evidently this feature got removed by the e devs for some reason.

This feature is there in Moksha. I plan to keep it when we rewrite the theme selector fully for swami.

• Like 1

At the risk of beating a dead language: moksha is the freedom from samsara - the cycle of doing the same thing over and over again. I wish for an attractive, non-distracting desktop that I could enjoy ignoring and doing nothing with. I would like windows I could easily modify to make it easier to view their content. I want an unobtrusive, random presentation of interesting matters I would otherwise be unaware of and which I could pursue further by clicking on it. I would enjoy a clock that wasn't even right twice a day and a task bar that regularly vanished. I would like a vision of quiet contemplation that placed no demands on me at all. Happily, I already have that. Thank you. Namaste.

• Like 1

Moksha/Bodhi needs a good graphical "user-settings" app. Or just fix eccess.

I spent a lot of time looking up commands I couldn't remember so I could change things. And gnome-system-tools doesn't seem to be a viable option anymore. Is there any other choices I'm not aware of besides the command line?

Have you tried swami-control

It is unfinished yet but user-management was one of the goals to have implemented.

Enjoy,

Charles.

Nope, But i'll try it.

EDIT: Tried it. but no user settings yet.

It'll get user settings at some point. We are aware this is something users want - it is something E has always been missing.

About epad. It would be nice, if the default for save as, was the working directory and not /home/user . This might be hard coded and not fixable, but it is an annoyance.

For reference applications like epad are not part Moksha.

Please open a bug with this on epad's github page and I'll look into it after the 4.0.0 release is out.

not sure under what this falls but i wish there was some universal copy and paste like on a Mac.  if you copy something from 1 app and cloe it out - the paste is a big notta.  you have to keep the copied app open to paste the info into another app  - ex. copy from a browser and paste to libreoffice writer - 

Once again - maybe outside the rubric of this topic.  sorry Jeff!

I believe the clipboard module takes care of that issue now.

Exactly this. It still is a work in progress (has issues with libreoffice currently for example) but I use it in my daily use and it works fine with Chrome and most native applications as well as a few Wine apps I use.

• Like 1

As I already told, I am waiting for Ylee (or others help) as he is too busy these days. Hard to promise something. Ofcourse we both want to make it work. I am thinking about small workaround with using tool called xclipboard implemented in the code in the meantime we solve that issue. I can look at it during the weekend hopefully...

• Like 1

Thanks - will try it out.  this has been an issue since i started linux.  so to be clear - it should work without my tweaking anything????

p.s. i DO appreciate all of the hard work that you guys have been putting into Bodhi, etc...