AK7000000

Keyboard module missed

Question

I have been installed Bodhi 3.2.1 and i couldn't find any way to add another keyboard language, please guide me.

Not any keyboard module in:

Settings >> All. Modules >> Utilities.

Settings >> All >> Input

11 answers to this question

I am having trouble finding where to change keyboard language. I did find if you use everything command and type in input> then kev bindings> on the right panel if you scroll down you see keyboard layout. Still trying to locate a way to change the language.

I think I am competent to answer this question:

Keyboard module was get rid from the latest releases as it was buggy. Fortunately I found a solution how to fix it so now just install deb package keyboard-moksha-fix and load it in module section. After this, just add up to max 4 layouts for your needs.

Enjoy :)

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/13576-keyboard-module-fix-v2/

• Like 1

I think I am competent to answer this question:

Keyboard module was get rid from the latest releases as it was buggy. Fortunately I found a solution how to fix it so now just install deb package keyboard-moksha-fix and load it in module section. After this, just add up to max 4 layouts for your needs.

Enjoy :)

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/13576-keyboard-module-fix-v2/

ُThanks, It works fine now.

It was just a workaround. After some time I fixed buggy keyboard module so use this one. Only one drawback of this solution is you can add only max 4 layouts...

Hmm, the Bodhi Linux team has released Bodhi Linux 4.0 alpha release which is based on Ubuntu 16.06. I have read in this Ubuntu version should be solved that up to 4 layouts limit issue. I have just tried this module under BL 4.0 and must say, no, unfortunately the module still works correctly just with max 4 layouts. Hmm, we really need to look at this module closely. Of course it needs some time, knowledge and luck sometimes...

Stefan 

What is the practical use case for needing more than four keyboard layouts to switch between quickly?

I feel some people could want this feature. The only problem I can see the module is weirdly coded. It uses setxkbmap with layout list as parameter. It should be recoded on item callback. Each layout = each run command. And this is the problem. I need to understand the code, rewrite it and what is worst, this is a part of the Moksha core (not standalone module). Jeff's question is OK. Is this worth our effort...?

I feel some people could want this feature. The only problem I can see the module is weirdly coded. It uses setxkbmap with layout list as parameter. It should be recoded on item callback. Each layout = each run command. And this is the problem. I need to understand the code, rewrite it and what is worst, this is a part of the Moksha core (not standalone module). Jeff's question is OK. Is this worth our effort...?

Maybe it is not worth it if the target audience is only me. I am so used to hotkey-switching 6 languages in Windows that I decided to implement this scenario here. That is the practical use for me.

However, I assumed Bodhi is built on Ubuntu 14/16 codebase (where this problem is solved) and one shouldn't involve any additional coding to do this, just port the code. Maybe something went wrong if your module broke Ubuntu keyboard major functionality?

Suncatcher: I have made a significant progress with keyboard module. After spending all evening coding all layouts are available now. There is no limit in number of layouts. I have a version where only switching by mouse is possible but all functional. Now I need to solve switching by keyboard...

:)

Stefan

http://i.imgur.com/BT0fKg1.png

• Like 1