Sign in to follow this  
graywizardlinux

linux smartphone

I am not into cell phones - just me.  I may be forced to get a smartphone and no it doesn't have to be the highest end phone; and do not want a windows or mac phone.  i know there is an android out there but from my old info it is by google.  I HATE GOOGLE!  so is there another linux based phone - readily available that is not by google?  and not ubuntu phone because i understand it is not available here in the US or esp. in Hooterville where i live.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sailfish, FirefoxOS(?)/FirefoxPhone(?), Openmoko, Ubuntu. I believe all of those are possibilities, but, they would require you to flash a phone. I think Sailfish and Ubuntu have images for Nexus 5 handsets. Firefox might have an image for a Nexus 5 as well. Openmoko was built with Enlightenment as its UI. I don't know if there are images for anything but the stock hardware they came on though. I think MeeGo(?) had an image for a Nokia N9. There are also Android ROMS that only make use of free open source software.

Everything but Openmoko would require reflashing a phone with a new OS. If you are dead set on a smartphone and dislike of Google, you should probably make a new in person friend that could flash a phone of your preference.

• Like 3

I forgot about Tizen based phones. Samsung is looking at getting away from Android and as such they have created Tizen. You can get a Z3 on ebay shipped from India for about 185. It is a GSM only phone, so, T-mobile/ATT/etc.

• Like 2

Yes, that is pretty much what flashing is. Not every phone has been developed for. That just means you have to do your homework before you jump in.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that flashing a new phone will almost certainly void the warranty. You may or may not care, but informed consent is important.

• Like 2