Astroboy

[Solved] Moksha Segfault

Question

I would suggest to look closely at the thread http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/13952-constant-moksha-crash-and-restart/

Since the start of that thread we already installed Escuelas Linux 5.0 (based in Bodhi 4.0) in a fairly good number of computers, and we can confirm that in some of them Moksha ocasionally restarts without any apparent cause.

In a computer I own, this issue is almost always reproducible just by dragging some window. I said "almost" because sometimes I can drag a window without having Moksha restarting.

Still fumbling with valgrind a bit myself. Does running these commands work for you? Should create a new X session with Moksha launched:

sudo X -ac :1 &
export DISPLAY=:1
valgrind --show-reachable=no --vgdb-error=0 --tool=memcheck enlightenment

Same results. Valgrind output some lines and then it does nothing, even after reproducing the Moksha segfault.

linux@linux-Dell-Precision-M3800:~$ sudo X -ac :1 &
[1] 2123
linux@linux-Dell-Precision-M3800:~$ export DISPLAY=:1

[1]+  Detenido                sudo X -ac :1
linux@linux-Dell-Precision-M3800:~$ valgrind --show-reachable=no --vgdb-error=0 --tool=memcheck enlightenment
==2134== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==2134== Copyright (C) 2002-2015, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==2134== Using Valgrind-3.11.0 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==2134== Command: enlightenment
==2134==
==2134== (action at startup) vgdb me ...
==2134==
==2134== TO DEBUG THIS PROCESS USING GDB: start GDB like this
==2134==   /path/to/gdb enlightenment
==2134== and then give GDB the following command
==2134==   target remote | /usr/lib/valgrind/../../bin/vgdb --pid=2134
==2134== --pid is optional if only one valgrind process is running
==2134==

So I think I might have made some headway here. I get occasional locks on one of my systems and I was able to produce one in a Xephyr window today. Getting this spammed over and over again when it happens:

ERRlib/eo/eo.c:462 in lib/edje/edje_object.eo.c:338: func 'edje_obj_signal_emit' (719) could not be resolved for class 'Efl_Canvas_Group'.

So need to just chase down what is triggering this in the Moksha code base.

Does that launch a second Moksha instance on a new display server as intended?

Nope. No second Moksha instance appears with those parameters.

So I think I might have made some headway here. I get occasional locks on one of my systems and I was able to produce one in a Xephyr window today. Getting this spammed over and over again when it happens:

ERR<eo>lib/eo/eo.c:462 in lib/edje/edje_object.eo.c:338: func 'edje_obj_signal_emit' (719) could not be resolved for class 'Efl_Canvas_Group'.

So need to just chase down what is triggering this in the Moksha code base.

I believe that is the cause of the problem, too. I had seen many times the reference to that class in all the test logs.

Following the lead of gohlip http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/14151-bodhi-linux-410-pre-release-discs/&do=findComment&comment=102895

I was hoping that Moksha segfault was somehow solved in 4.1, but I didn't have luck. I can still reproduce it in Bodhi 4.1 installed as it comes, no additional packages installed nor any change in the default Moksha desktop.

The packages in 4.1.0 are largely the same as what you've had for awhile now. Just a bumped version number and some new config files for the changed default theme. Still haven't been able to chase down where this segfault is coming from yet.

You are a genius!!!!

With this change, the problem is solved!!!!

Now, what could be the possible consequences or side results of turning those settings off? (my reasoning is if they were turned on by default in E, should be a good cause to have it done that way...)

All those check boxes do is display the current sizing / position of the window on the screen as it moves around / resizes.

Thank you for confirming this resolves the segfault. I am going to try and dig into the source that displays these for me and see if I can figure out what is causing it - for now we have a work around at least.

Sorry for this run around.

All those check boxes do is display the current sizing / position of the window on the screen as it moves around / resizes.

Umh, I had never seen any display of size and position when moving or resizing a window :blink:

Edit: wait, now I notice that in the default Moksha profile is displayed the size and position. In the Escuelas Linux profile does not, even with those settings on.

Should I mark this thread as solved?

Feel free to mark that work around as a solution for now. I'll open a bug report on github now that we know the source of the issue.

Hmm, I have disabling the window geometry text in Window Display settings and it seems the segfault was gone (with default theme).

I noticed some sequence that trigger the segfault (the sudden Moksha restart). Note that this happens only in Detorious theme. This sequence seems doesn't trigger the segfault in default theme.

So here's the sequence.

[The Sequence, triggered only in Detorious theme]

(Right after booting my machine)

Do

Settings > Settings Panel > Windows > Clicking random items there > sudden Moksha restart

(sometimes I succesfully enter, lets says, Window Display and changing something there, but usually the segfault suddenly occurs just right after that. When it happen, my changes didn't saved at all)

Note that I'm using Lenovo idepad 110 with Bodhi 4.0.0 64 bit, standard edition, kernel 4.9.5-040905 generic, updated MESA to 17.1, and doing regular apt-get update.

Thanks for confirming it is happening under that theme. I'm leaving it on the app center for now - but going to feature radiance instead. 

Hopefully we can track down the specific cause now that we have a better idea what is causing this.

I can confirm that I can sometimes trigger the Moksha segfault by doing the sequence suggested by Indraraja Purbosatryo. Sometimes I can't reproduce it in the Detorious theme, but it seems easy to trigger it in that particular theme. I was able to trigger it only once using another theme (BlueElectric) and none in others, at least in some 20 minutes playing around. After the Moksha restart already happened in Detourious, it did not happened again even after following the same sequence suggested. For me, I needed to restart the computer to be able to start the segfault again.

And, testing in 32 and 64 bits Vmware Fusion guest, the Moksha restart still appeared sporadically out of nowhere, with no apparent cause.

I think it is related to popups currently - there was a similar crash with the pager gadget that I simply worked around by toggling that setting off. Wouldn't be surprised if it is related to these dumps as well. 

After the Moksha restart already happened in Detourious, it did not happened again even after following the same sequence suggested. For me, I needed to restart the computer to be able to start the segfault again.

Yeah, thats happen to me too.

Also, in my Default theme firing alt+tab rigorously (cycling beetween apps fast enough) when I have 2 minimized apps trigger the segfault.

Then I changed my theme to Radiance, firing alt+tab. Nothing happens.

Then changed back to Default theme. Firing alt+tab. Nothing happens.

Out of curiosity - does disabling the window geometry text in Window Display settings make the crashes stop for you?

I tried this tonight based on the information in this post and a previous one you responded to - so good so far!

Hopefully I'll do some heavy lifting this weekend and test my system to see if this is what was taking place.

As always, thank you for the assistance, Jeff!

The Moksha package in the repo as of today will now no longer display window geometry on screen regardless of settings until we can pin down the cause of this crash.

• Like 1