Jeff

Help Cleaning up the Wiki

Say Jeff,

I saw on a post you mentioned possibly adding a page about printing to PDF....do we have a page that outlines how to setup a printer (CUPS or otherwise)?  I feel like we had a post or wiki about doing so but cannot find it.  My plan was to add the print to PDF info on that page.

What do we think about adding a page about commonly used commands and a brief description (what Sudo is, update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, etc [although newbies should likely use eepDater])? 

I keep thinking about doing this, but I feel like there is so much documentation that exists already online that this would be redundant...that said, my counterpoint is that it would make our Wiki a more complete, one-stop-shop.

Anyway, plugging along...

I don't think we have either of these pages currently. I think creating both of them is a good idea.

Also - I haven't put any thought into it, but making the wiki with a main nav page to find all the awesome pages you are making is probably a good idea? 

I don't think we have either of these pages currently. I think creating both of them is a good idea.

Also - I haven't put any thought into it, but making the wiki with a main nav page to find all the awesome pages you are making is probably a good idea? 

I'll see what I can do for printer setup.

I've been thinking about some sort of menu - Dennis created/updated a menu listing tutorials while he was working on the Wiki (http://www.bodhilinux.com/w/bodhi-linux-how-to).  I'll think on this, as it would be nice to have, I'm just not super sure how to lay it out, etc.

Would following the lead of the main start page that loads when you first boot bohdi be a plan? Does Ubuntu have a table of contents?

Would following the lead of the main start page that loads when you first boot bohdi be a plan? Does Ubuntu have a table of contents?

Possibly an option - to clarify, are you talking about a link from within Bodhi (the OS) when it boots, or Bodhi the website/wiki when it loads? 

I'm just thinking within the OS when you go to the "Bodhi AppCenter" - it loads the page with all of our software links....I wouldn't have the skill within the OS for that bit, but I could certainly make a page for someone with more Linux knowledge to make something to point to it...

Part of what I was thinking is there is a link for "All Wikis" at the bottom of our main wiki page - this leads to 5 pages of links which do not appear I can edit (change order/organize) from the wiki.  I suspect these pages are more part of our website (which I currently do not work on but would love to!). 

That said, we could maybe make a table of contents page for the wiki, breaking things down logically (along the lines of our current organization ["Getting Started", "Tutorials", etc]).  Then in time, someone could make the OS Menu Item and associated link to the "Bodhi Wiki" or something?

Also, I would love to be involved in the OS bit, as I do want to get more involved in this area.

Not sure I'm making sense - it reads fine in my mind but I'm sure I'm missing some technical jargon.

Cheers and thank you everyone!

I should have been more clear, and, I should have looked at the link you posted. Yes, I was imagining the breakdown like one sees when bodhi first loads and the browser opens a page for new users to get familiar.

I would imagine a .desktop file would be easy to create that called midori or the default browser with the correct url, as long as the url never changes. :)

Hello All,

I went ahead and created a CLI/Commands basics page on our Wiki...I did not include examples of syntax for all commands at this time...I figured we could populate this as seen fit.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/w/basic-but-useful-linux-commands/

Feedback welcome (as always!).

I'm noticing that from our cleanup last January that we have several menu/table of contents pages.  I'm still trying to figure out how we can best streamline this.  Our Quick Start, FAQ and Tutorial Pages are all basically the same links displayed in different ways.  I can see this being confusing for new users as they may get caught in a loop just going from menu to menu, etc.  Also, on the tutorials page, some links do not lead to anything. 

Also, I would like to explore the .desktop file birdmun mentioned.  I don't have experience with this but could see it being a great addition.

Thank you everyone - happy New Year - cheers!

• Like 2

Thanks bob rashkin and ylee - I always appreciate encouragement and feedback!

[edit] - for now, I have created an "Archive Wiki" menu that leads to pages regarding Enlightenment...I hate to delete information that someone may still find helpful...along the lines of why we people cannot delete forum entries...]

Also, is Elementary a thing anymore?  I always confuse this with Enlightenment for some reason... curious due to this, "Changing Elementary Theme" Wiki - is it outdated/to be archived?

http://www.bodhilinux.com/w/changing-elementary-theme/

• Like 1

Hello Web Admin (aeonius, I believe?)

I am making a logical flow-though in our Wiki that begins with What is Bodhi Linux and flows through out FAQ...at the bottom of each page I am adding a link to the next logical wiki page during the installation process...the problem is, the Download Page is a Web Page and not a Wiki.

I was wondering if you could add this too the bottom of the "Download Page" webpage,

"Now that you have downloaded your ISO, click here for installation directions"

That would be awesome! 

My goal is to make it so someone interested in Bodhi can learn about it, see if their system meet the min. requirements, find out what image to download, download and then see how to install things all by flowing from a link at the bottom of each page.  COHESIVE!!! :)

Is this still accurate, it's from the "Menu System Wiki"

"To speed up menuing on a slower computer, go to the Miscellaneous tab of the Menu Settings dialog box and tick Disable Icons in Menus."

This menu path doesn't exist on my system...is it part of the legacy install perchance?

Hey, the "Download" web page looks great - thanks for making those edits! 

Aeonius?

Updated "System Requirements" page to include info regarding installer wanting > 1 GB of RAM (or RAM+swap) and closer to 2 GB being optimal.

Thank you for this information, Charles!

• Like 1

Our Release Cycle page states that 2.y.z is supported until 2017...I changed this to "no longer supported" - please let me know if this is in error...

Added up and coming 5.y.z as well.

• Like 1

Completed some tweaking on the "Installation Instructions" page...

Added information about not being able to install directly from the USB drive, that you must first boot into the live environ....clarified a couple of lines regarding the use of 'dd' to create a bootable drive.  Nothing major, but as I just walked through installing 4.5.0 to a PC that was running 2.4.0, I figured I would compare and update.

If anyone cares to take a gander...http://www.bodhilinux.com/w/installation-instructions/

Thanks!

BTW - Unetbootin would not work for me this time...I used the 'dd' method and found it to be very easy with our directions anyway...maybe we should nuke the Unebootin part until we test the new version?

• Like 2