Sign in to follow this  
quamenzullo

[solved] Update stuck on grub-pc (Terminal timeout)

Question

Hello,

I don't know why, I started synaptic from a terminal today and started an update (hadn't done so for a while).

Now it gets stuck on a warning message than comes repeatedly in the terminal where synaptic was launched from:

** (synaptic:12408): WARNING **: no statusfd changes/content updates in terminal for 120 seconds

** (synaptic:12408): WARNING **: TerminalTimeout in step: Configuration de grub-pc (amd64)

while in synaptic's "inner" terminal, it is stuck at grub-pc for a while:

Paramétrage de grub-common (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7) ...
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
Paramétrage de grub2-common (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7) ...
Paramétrage de grub-pc-bin (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7) ...
Paramétrage de grub-pc (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7) ...

What should I do? I am afraid, if I restart the computer, it doesn't boot anymore...

4 answers to this question

Open terminology and run:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The first command will likely open an ncurses dialog that will require user input.

So I finally killed the synaptic process, in order to run these commands.

At that moment, a dialog box showed up (I think it was hidden by the others windows on the same desktop, and as I don't use any task bar, I couldn't see it). So I guess it was nothing completely wrong, at last.

So, I have run the commands you advised, now I need them :) No news from grub-pc, though.

Thank you for your quick answer. I'll turn this thread as solved when everything is finished, unless I cannot reboot.

Everything is back fine.

I did take a screenshot before my first post, the dialog is not visible, it certainly showed up under the terminal, what was maximized, not only under synaptic, because I moved it and would have seen this dialog if it was only under synaptic.

Thanks again and sorry for this annoyance!