norm321

How to manually install new kernel and new theme?

Question

I see that Bodhi 4.1.0 has been released. I also see that existing 4.0.0 users can manually install it according to what was posted on the release info page as seen below.

"Existing Bodhi 4.0.0 users already have the bug fixes incorporated into these ISO images, but they will need to manually install the newer kernel and theme if they wish to utilize them."

Can someone explain how to go about this?

Thanks!!

9 answers to this question

You can install the new theme with the command:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bodhi-theme-moksha-arc-dark

You can install the newer kernel with the command:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.8.0-34-generic

Fair warning though - unless you have a piece of hardware that is not working well currently I would leave your existing kernel alone. Sometimes kernel changes break support for hardware that worked previously (which is why we never automatically upgrade kernel versions for Bodhi users).

Have any other questions about specifics feel free to ask.

Cheers!

As a follow up, will the new theme eventually be available in the Bodhi Appcenter to make it easier for the users who aren't as comfortable using the terminal(terminolgy)to install the new theme?

Thanks!

Yea. I need to add another icon set to the appcenter when time permits as well. So few hours in the day.

sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.8.0-34-generic

Hey Jeff - is that the general syntax for updating a kernel?  I haven't attempted yet, but I'm still thinking of moving to a low latency kernel for my DAW.

This command installs a specific kernel package. If you install synaptic and search for linux-image should see lots of packages in there.

• Like 1

I applied the Moksha Arc Dark theme and I liked the looks of it. I had to go back to the Moksha Green one though. When I was using Firefox and trying to update one of my eBay listings some of the text boxes were not showing the text. If you clicked directly under the text box you could see the text highlighted but it wasn't in the text box. Not sure what's up with that??

Just thought I would pass on the information in case anyone else sees this behavior.

That is because Firefox doesn't work well with Dark GTK themes, basically never has. Works as expected with Chrome / Chromium.