Sign in to follow this  
technicalissue

Both universal and local time worng

Question

Hello,

I just started installing Bodhi Linux on my Chromebook Acer C720 following this guide: http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.de/2014/01/howto-bodhi-linux-on-acer-c720.html(except for I couldn't use the special .iso mentioned for its no longer there, used the most up to date version instead).

Almost everything works fine so far except for one things that's now causing some issues:

Both local and universal time are both set on March 8, 2082 with a different time to my actual time zone. When using the command

sudo dkpg-reconfigure tzdata

And choosing my current timezone, nothing changes. Something like

date --set="<Date&Time>"

only gives me with a line saying operation not permitted. Because of these settings all browser refuse to open most websites for almost all issuer certificates are expired due to the local date&time settings. Is there any fix for this problem or am I just seriously overseeing something?

A second issue I'm experiencing (not sure whether another topic for that is needed) is that the touchpad doesn't work as properly as it used to - have to use way more pressure on it in order to get the mouse moving.

Hope for some answers, thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

For the touchpad, try running/booting the live USB, instead of the installed Bodhi, and see if the touchpad behaves better while in the live session.

I had some touchpad troubles with the different kernel versions. Please type uname -r and send the outcome here to know which is yours. Maybe the good idea is searching which linux kernel is the most suitable for your piece of HW.

Have you used a different OS with your Acer before? Are you sure the touchpad behavior is not the same in compare with other distro? Is it a big issue to try Ubuntu or Mint live session just to be clear?

Well, I have used the pre-installed ChromeOS before. For some time I had an extra version of ubuntu installed via crouton. Problems did not occur. I may try another ubuntu live session to be clear later this week if possible.

The touchpad behaviour is certainly different to its behaviour in ChromeOS, for a minute after the first start I even was unsure whether or not it would work at all...

OK. If you succeed with other distro, try to look at the kernel version and install it under Bodhi Linux. Just my suggestion. I hope it will work...