newhere

What does Linux do when it shuts down?

Question

9 answers to this question

What would be the process to watch this...er, um...process?

I feel like WAY back in the day running Suse (like 15+ years ago) i could watch the full boot and shutdown process.  On my Pi i can watch the boot process.

What would be the process to watch this...er, um...process?

I feel like WAY back in the day running Suse (like 15+ years ago) i could watch the full boot and shutdown process.  On my Pi i can watch the boot process.

Are you talking about changing this line in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash"

to this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

then running the command

sudo update-grub2

?

I do it to all my linux machines so I can see the messages scroll on boot. There's no splash screen, but I like the info.

" data-cid="103819" data-time="1491422172">

Are you talking about changing this line in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash"

to this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

then running the command

sudo update-grub2

?

I do it to all my linux machines so I can see the messages scroll on boot. There's no splash screen, but I like the info.

Indeed - that seems to be the ticket - thank you!  I don't know why but there is something strangely satisfying watching this....

• Like 1

Indeed - that seems to be the ticket - thank you!  I don't know why but there is something strangely satisfying watching this....

...was getting around to finally trying this but hit on this...unfortunately all this text will blast by too fast to mean anything due to booting on a SSD...guessing this information will be a blur.  Anyone experience this?

Watching a Raspberry Pi or SuSE Linux on HDD 16 years ago provide enough time to see...but Bodhi?!  Thinking not when I can go from POST to password prompt in about a second and then from "Enter" to desktop in sub-second times....

...was getting around to finally trying this but hit on this...unfortunately all this text will blast by too fast to mean anything due to booting on a SSD...guessing this information will be a blur.  Anyone experience this?

Watching a Raspberry Pi or SuSE Linux on HDD 16 years ago provide enough time to see...but Bodhi?!  Thinking not when I can go from POST to password prompt in about a second and then from "Enter" to desktop in sub-second times....

Yes indeed. When I switched it up to an SSD it was literally a moment of pure bliss.

I do love the sub-10 second boot time on my laptop -- when it was previously almost 1 minute! Didn't realize how much of a bottle-neck an HDD was, but of course, even though the price has come down they're not exactly giving away SSD's.

" data-cid="103990" data-time="1492533060">

Yes indeed. When I switched it up to an SSD it was literally a moment of pure bliss.

I do love the sub-10 second boot time on my laptop -- when it was previously almost 1 minute! Didn't realize how much of a bottle-neck an HDD was, but of course, even though the price has come down they're not exactly giving away SSD's.

Very true - I purchased an enterprise level drive...certainly not free!  I remember the first build I did using a 7200 RPM drive vs. a 5400...even that was fairly eye opening.

Not long now until all mechanical fail points are out of PCs.  Optical is out, mechanical drives are on their way out...now to just get rid of fans!

For the crowd that enjoys watching the text scroll by, this post may be for you. For the niche crowd that likes to actually read those text messages, there are keyboard buttons that can slow them down so that humans can actually read them. Try Scroll Lock first. Then I think the arrow keys can move the screen in a certain direction afterwards, I don't recall perfectly--my memory hasn't been upgraded from 64M.

• Like 1