banjoman

enable shutdown from Start menu

Question

I am experimenting with adding users via terminal (as Bodhi does not have all GUI facilities that full Ubuntu install has). I cannot enable the shutdown/restart buttons enabled for a new user account, they are greyed out.

I have tried sudo adduser <account name> sudo, but that does not do it. Maybe that is not the crucial command.....

4 answers to this question

As default user run the following commands:

id # shows the groups you are a member of
id <otheruser> # shows the groups the other user is member of
sudo usermod -a -G <groupname> <username>

The last command makes the username part of the groupname by adding the groupname to his account settings. Don't forget to use the -a option in that command as without it all existing groups he was member off will be wiped. (the -a stands for add)

Warning: adding the sudo group to this account will give him full power over the computer. You should test if adding another groupmembership will be enough for shutdown/reboot. Can't advice you there.

Enjoy,

Charles

• Like 1

I am experimenting with adding users via terminal (as Bodhi does not have all GUI facilities that full Ubuntu install has). I cannot enable the shutdown/restart buttons enabled for a new user account, they are greyed out.

I have tried sudo adduser sudo, but that does not do it. Maybe that is not the crucial command.....

Add your user to the group adm should do it

• Like 1

great but way beyond me.  i was wondering how to do this... i thought it was built into bodhi.

anyway that could be a part of it automatically????

You can add groups to newly created users by editing the following line in the file /etc/adduser.conf

#EXTRA_GROUPS="dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev users"

There are other options in that file as well.

• Like 1