Sign in to follow this  
graywizardlinux

android devices - lack of security

i am very curious - why all of the negative security aspects on android/linux smartphones.  i am constantly seeing stuff about major hackability etc.  anyone have any concrete reasons as to why they are so sketchy to own.

i am very curious - why all of the negative security aspects on android/linux smartphones.  i am constantly seeing stuff about major hackability etc.  anyone have any concrete reasons as to why they are so sketchy to own.

I would suspect that due to their popularity, there are just more people attempting to crack these devices and find exploits.  I wouldn't suspect that many of the companies pushing these devices out as quickly as they can really care much about the end user's security anyway...

Android, while technically open source, most of the apps running in this environment do not qualify as being fully open source to my knowledge.  Can't keep up with "community" driven projects for response times on exploits, etc ^_^

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-really-open-source-matter/

Part of the issue lies with the fact that there are still phones in the wild running 2.3. The version spread is bad and coding security updates for every phone just isn't realistic. I don't know what the actual breakdown by version is, but, there are very few phones percentage wise running Android 7+. I am not sure how long even my phone running 6.0.1 will get security updates. I haven't seen any for a while.

Apple on the other hand keeps the majority of their phones in the wild on the same version. There are a number of phones too old for their newest OS, but, they are in the minority.

• Like 1

Part of the issue lies with the fact that there are still phones in the wild running 2.3. The version spread is bad and coding security updates for every phone just isn't realistic. I don't know what the actual breakdown by version is, but, there are very few phones percentage wise running Android 7+. I am not sure how long even my phone running 6.0.1 will get security updates. I haven't seen any for a while.

Apple on the other hand keeps the majority of their phones in the wild on the same version. There are a number of phones too old for their newest OS, but, they are in the minority.

True, True...many phones will never get updates pushed (versions of Android). 

If you have a flagship phone and it is new, you will for a while...but that will stop too... Kind of neat how they force you to buy new phones continually to stay "secure" :P