Sign in to follow this  
JollyRoger

Checkboxes sometimes invisible in Firefox with BodhiForum theme

Question

I'm using Bodhi 4 64-bit with the Forum theme. Running Firefox, the checkboxes on some web pages are invisible. The problem seems to lie with the BodhiForum GTK application theme, as I can make the checkboxes visible by switching to e.g. the Default application theme. (Note that I don't have this problem with Midori, but I much prefer Firefox.)

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

15 answers to this question

Okay.

Another many fixes done in moksha forum theme related to the tclock, slider invisible values, weird everything icon name displaying (center align) and cpufreq gadget.

https://github.com/thewaiter/MokshaForum/commits/master

I hope the theme is ready now for packaging and you will love it :)

Stefan

EDIT: theme is in the repository (Thanx Jeff)

• Like 1

Okay, I have some spare time now. Just follow:

/usr/share/themes/BodhiForum GTK/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

Around the line no. 180 is the section. Add the last two border commands:

.check, .menu .menuitem.check:prelight {
    background-image: url("Images/CheckRadio/check1.png");
    background-clip: border-box;
    border-style: solid;
    border-width: 1px;
}

Then go to the settings-settings panel-Look- Application theme and set the Forum theme this way (look at the bottom)

Rhzbgti.png

Enjoy :)

Hmm, My solution is functional but not perfect. It did not respect checkbox images. Just created the outline box.

7ksYzSo.png

Another research led me to this script changing:

Paste this code from the line 180 until .check row, .check row:prelight { line

.check, .menu .menuitem.check:insensitive {
-gtk-icon-source: url("Images/CheckRadio/check1.png"); 
}
.check:active {
   -gtk-icon-source: url("Images/CheckRadio/check2.png"); 
}
.check:checked, .menu .menuitem.check:prelight:active
{
   -gtk-icon-source: url("Images/CheckRadio/check2.png"); 
}
.check:insensitive:active {
-gtk-icon-source: url("Images/CheckRadio/check02.png"); 
}
.check:insensitive {
     -gtk-icon-source: url("Images/CheckRadio/check0.png"); 
}

I believe it is fine now:

3H0vjQN.png

The best way will be creating the new theme package for everyone...I will prepare it.

Trying adding as much fixes as possible before packaging. TClock color_class and text_class fixed. Now you can change the font size and color (moksha-clock-advanced package). 

EvEMzQ2.png

Anyway, I struggled whole evening with GTK 3 scrollbar slider. It looks weird. Many circles instead of one. Have not idea why. Agrrr... 

PcVWWZk.png

Please let me know if you can see other glitches in this theme. I will try to fix it...

• Like 1

Many thanks for your hard work, Stefan. You are very generous with your time.

The scrollbar slider glitch (showing as many circles) has never bothered me.

Regards

Roger

• Like 1

I've updated my system with the new theme (using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade in the usual way, then restarted Moksha), and I immediately noticed that the Cpufreq gadget now displays the numbers correctly (instead of chopping them off). I then went to one of webpages on Firefox that was giving me trouble, and now the checkboxes are showing correctly!

So many thanks, Stefan, you've solved the problem for me, and of course for many others.

Best wishes

Roger

• Like 1

I need to do this soon ^_^

Quick question...I generally run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade...would it make more sense to run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Or is what JollyRoger has listed the best?  I know Jeff would recommend running eepDater :P

If you need just to upgrade a package, upgrade option should be enough.

Anyway just use one of that commands. If you use dist-upgrade, you don't need to use upgrade before. I always do as Roger said. It handles the whole system dependencies. In the Bodhi case, dist-upgrade will not upgrade the kernel, which is great.  

EepDater is an GUI for apt-get, but I know little about it because I don't use it (became a CLI guy). Ask Jeff please.

For more info about upgrade vs dist-upgrade see the apt-get manual or 

https://askubuntu.com/questions/81585/what-is-dist-upgrade-and-why-does-it-upgrade-more-than-upgrade

Stefan

Thank you, Stefan - I too tend to use CLI for most items.  Thank you for the link and explaining dist-upgrade...I'll start using that!

I use the CLI (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) rather than the GUI (Eepdater) because it shows me exactly what's going on - especially useful if the upgrade process meets some kind of error.

I use the CLI (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) rather than the GUI (Eepdater) because it shows me exactly what's going on - especially useful if the upgrade process meets some kind of error.

Sounds about right - thank you for making me aware of dist-upgrade...I had just been doing upgrade due to doing that forever and a day.

Cheers!

To be fair to eepdater, you can click the details button and see things as they scroll by just as they would in the terminal.

• Like 2

Ran dist-upgrade last night - was interesting to see it update items for my Nvidia drivers.  Didn't expect that but I suppose that makes sense.

I did some reading on this - the upgrade should be intelligent and not break anything.  For my system, this held true!