Suncatcher

Time setting in Enlightenment

Question

25 answers to this question

NO, there is no GUI for timezone...

There are some goals in Jeff's project called Swami control. Not sure if this feature was included.

You can try ntp.  Look for it in synaptic or install in terminal with... 

sudo apt-get install ntp

then install gnome-system-tools...

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools  --no-install-recommends

Look for "Time and Date" in main menu/preferences

• Like 1

The swami control panel is installed by default in the latest Bodhi release and provides a GUI for changing the date and time settings.

If you installed an older Bodhi release you can add the Swami Control panel with the commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install swami-control

In terminal type

swami

and post the outcome, might give a clue.

Did you perform all updates? If so what method did you use? For best result you should use the following in terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Enjoy,

Charles

• Like 1

Here is the outcome:

root@bodhi-v:/home/suncatcher# swami
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/swami", line 177, in <module>
    app = MainWin(launchArg)
  File "/usr/bin/swami", line 36, in __init__
    autodel=True, size=(600, 400))
  File "efl/elementary/window.pxi", line 1516, in efl.elementary.__init__.StandardWindow.__init__ (efl/elementary/__init__.c:378144)
  File "efl/elementary/object.pxi", line 111, in efl.elementary.__init__.Object._set_obj (efl/elementary/__init__.c:250435)
  File "efl/evas/efl.evas_object.pxi", line 198, in efl.evas.Object._set_obj (efl/evas/efl.evas.c:54834)
  File "efl/eo/efl.eo.pyx", line 254, in efl.eo.Eo._set_obj (efl/eo/efl.eo.c:3484)
AssertionError: Cannot set a NULL object 

We had errors like that a while ago, thought that was fixed in an update. It does not happen on my fresh 4.2.0 install. Have a look here.

You can go to Elementary Config using the menu under Applications > Preferences. In post#15 I wrote what I did and that worked for me.

What version did you have to install your system and how did you update that?

Enjoy,

Charles

Can you please try running Swami as your normal user? It looks from your terminal that you are trying to launch it as root. 

• Like 1

Can you please try running Swami as your normal user? It looks from your terminal that you are trying to launch it as root. 

Just another error

suncatcher@bodhi-v:~$ swami

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/swami", line 177, in <module>
    app = MainWin(launchArg)
  File "/usr/bin/swami", line 74, in __init__
    self.loadModules()
  File "/usr/bin/swami", line 130, in loadModules
    self.modules[imported] = imported.SwamiModule(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/swami_startupapps/swami_startupapps.py", line 94, in __init__
    with open(d) as desktopFile:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/applications/gdebi.desktop'

Just FYI, gdebi is installed on my system:

root@bodhi-v:/home/suncatcher# apt-get install gdebi-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gdebi-core is already the newest version (0.9.5.7ubuntu1).
gdebi-core set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded

If swami requires not gdebi but gdebi's shortcut (gdebi.desktop) then it's dumbest app, I've ever seen.

Did you perform all updates? If so what method did you use? For best result you should use the following in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Didn't help.

One of Swami's modules is managing startup applications. It doesn't have any dependence on gdebi - it is simply trying to add all of your .desktop files to a list so it can offer them as startup applications.

Does the file /usr/share/applications/gdebi.desktop exist? If it exists is it a normal file or is it a symlink for some reason? Can you please post the output of the command:

ls /usr/share/applications

Swami is a newer tool and we've tested it for a variety of use cases - but obviously whatever state your current system is in right now was not one of them. Wonder what is different - I can't reproduce any launch errors with Swami on any of my 4 physical systems or my half a dozen virtual machines. 

It's marked in red because it is a (faulty) symlink like Jeff was talking about. That symlink should point to an existing file but in your case that file is missing though it has been there it seems , seeing gdebi-old in your output.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdebi-bodhi-launcher

Should fix this.

Any reason why you are logged in as root? Quite dangerous IMHO.

Enjoy,

Charles

• Like 1

Thanks, that helped. Swami is really cool.

Any reason why you are logged in as root? Quite dangerous IMHO.

I am not logged as root. Where do you see this on screen? Root permissions on .desktop files are confusing you?  I dunno why they root-owned, maybe because I install apps as root?  :)

P.S. What concerns this error, some type of exception handling should be built in Swami for such cases, in order that some dummy shortcut not to break app start.

I am not logged as root. Where do you see this on screen? 

Post#10

Post#15

I install stuff as $USER with temporary root permissions, using sudo. Feel free to do it your way.

I wonder why the bodhi-moksha.desktop file was deleted, an ordinary user can not do that.

P.S. What concerns this error, some type of exception handling should be built in Swami for such cases, in order that some dummy shortcut not to break app start.

Ok Swami is a program Jeff has mostly wrote and as he notes:

Swami is a newer tool and we've tested it for a variety of use cases - but obviously whatever state your current system is in right now was not one of them.

It is a work in progress with a limited amount of developers, a limited amount of time to develop, only Bodhi users testing it and most likely only forum users reporting issues. As such it is best to regard it as Beta-software. While it has been tested for typical users cases on Bodhi and it works without error as far as I know in these cases, the issue you stumbled across is not typical. A system file was borked for whatever reason.

As far as "exception handling should be built in Swami for such cases", perhaps but let me quote something I read on stackoverflow regarding exceptions and defensive programming:

You should be defensive but to a point. You should write exception handling but to a point.

The question is where is this point? To test for all possible errors, including hardware malfunctions is overkill for most applications excepting apps where someones life is at stake. Swami is not such an app. For an app such as swami it is more appropriate to test for expected 'normal' errors. To Jeffs defense a system file being broken was not expected and should not have occurred. 

Ok that being said, I have taken note of your error as well as another related issue I noted a few days ago and patched swami locally to catch such cases. As soon as I find time I will run my patch thru some tests to ensure it hasn't broke any functionality, commit it to github and if Jeff approves update Bodhis deb file. This is way open source works. Judgmental whining about "poor coding practices" is hardly ever appropriate and this goes double if a patch is not posted or the complaint is from a non programmer.

Bodhi is what it is a small community an even smaller number of developers and all of us working essentially for free. As an operating system it satisfies my needs altho I modify it some, as a team member I try to fix issues reported or that I discover if I can and when I have time. And I work on the Bodhi projects that interest me or I myself use or those I think are critical or some of the stuff Jeff or another team member suggests I look at. Again when I have time. Probably the same is true for all Bodhi team members.

• Like 2

the issue you stumbled across is not typical

I can quote you and ask similar question

The question is where is this point?

Where is the point to what to treat typical and what not?  :)

For me broken symlink is quite typical and such cases occurs A LOT, both on mine and other users' systems. Any advanced user which installs a lot of software will likely face this stuff and many users face this very often.

I am not criticizing the developer, but rather making bugreporting here. Nothing extraordinary, jut routine process.

I install stuff as $USER with temporary root permissions, using sudo. Feel free to do it your way.

I don't bother doing this way. I enter su mode, doing smth and then exit this mode.

For me broken symlink is quite typical and such cases occurs A LOT, both on mine and other users' systems. Any advanced user which installs a lot of software will likely face this stuff and many users face this very often.

I am not criticizing the developer, but rather making bugreporting here. Nothing extraordinary, jut routine process.

I don't think I've ever seen a broken symlink like that on any of my systems. The package manager generally cleans them up if you are using it to manage your software as you should be.

I agree with ylee that an exception catch should be added for this, but I think implying it is something that occurs often is a stretch. 

• Like 1