Sign in to follow this  
amerigena

Bodhi font rendering

Question

I am an occasional user of Bodhi, who may use it more consistently since downloading the recent 4.3 release. I don't love the font rendering. I've found that using the Infinality patches improves their appearance considerably.

Here's the link. http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/better-font-rendering-in-linux-with.html

And I understand that the instructions involve using a PPA, which the Bodhi community does not approve of (for some valid reasons). But the instructions do work; I find appearance and clarity of fonts much improved in 4.3 after applying the patches.

Thank you.

amerigena

8 answers to this question

My eyes must be going in my old age, but I literally can't see a difference between the two options shown side by side there. 

Infinality side of text does seem a tad darker, other then that, do not see any other difference.

It's very strange, because the immediate difference, after applying the infinality patches, was considerable. After booting the system up again, the changes that were made aren't present. Fonts aren't as clear and are back to the installation defaults. This is not a big issue, but strange nonetheless.

amerigena

I found an old post by Charles recommending lxappearance as a convenient GUI method of changing font antialiasing and hinting. I installed it, and it's working very well.

The 4.3.1 release seems, so far, to be excellent. And Bodhi's forums are extremely informative. 

Thank you.

amerigena

• Like 1