Sign in to follow this  
auro

Kernel update

Question

Cheers Bodhi team for the new release, I'm now on Bodhi 4.3.1!

...but, I'm still booting the 4.10.0-21-generic kernel. Shouldn't it be on the 4.11 series?

Should I update-grub? Followed by autoremove and autoclean to purge the older kernel?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Updating, as opposed to "installing" from the ISO files, will not replace the kernel. Jeff frequently reminds us that if your system works with your hardware the kernel doesn't need to change. If you want to update the kernel, you can use synaptic or http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/14168-how-to-manually-install-new-kernel-and-new-theme/?p=103018

sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.n.0-nn-generic

where you need to know what "n"s you want

• Like 1

Thanks bob!

The 4.10.0-21 is working fine and I got everything under control. So, maybe you're right... don't fix it if it ain't broken!

• Like 1

It has been my experience the 4.11 kernel could cause sudo issues in the gui. So much so that, you would need a terminal or a virtual terminal to reboot because the shutdown/reboot options were greyed out in the power menu. Also, google chrome had issues launching for me as well. After a few updates to the kernel things did finally get ironed out.

Kernel questions will always cause some discussions. To make it clear: I am not the one who can decide the subject. In my experience "linux-generic-hwe-16.04" installed via Synaptic works fine and gets regular updates (security fixes and some backported stuff here and then). Right now its 4.10.0.33.35.

"Linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge" would have installed the 4.11-series. Quite new hardware might be supported better. 

As Jeff has pointed out there is no desperate need for desktop users to change a working Kernel immediately if something new is offered. Other things enhance security. To all whom it may concern: Things like WebkitGTK+ should be more frequently updated (at least 2.16.6), or libsoup (should be 2.58.2). 

Upgraded to 4.11 Seems to be working fine. Maybe it will resolve the menu-cache issue?

Your kernel has nothing to do with a random lxde library being bugged.