michmanbiker

Samba file sharing

Question

Hello Again.

I decided to delete windows 10 from another one of my old laptops that has 8G of ram and install Bodhi instead.

I installed the complete version and it came with a lot of useful applications but I still had to struggle with the xxxx Samba!

Got it running but why so much hassle!!!! Why can't we have an easier way to manage and start Samba? 

Bodhi is really great, but some little things like these are a real pain and take away a lot from the usability of the distro.

I understand wanting to be light, but having option during install could be a good way to do it.

Also, I am now using Bodhi on my small 2G laptop and this one with the 8G and it is at the end of the day a legit distro and not just a bare bone one, I mean I had the option to install Kubuntu but I decided to stick with Bodhi. Just saying.

I'm sure you can tell this Samba thing is getting to me  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

6 answers to this question

I got samba running, but it was just too complicated.

A mix of samba server not loading by default, shared folder not configured in the conf file, simple samba gui programs like system-config-samba not running and file managers that do not populate the network !

• Like 1

The "Linux Bible" has a thirty page chapter on Samba basics, so I'm sure Bodhi isn't alone when samba isn't just click an icon and it is running, unfortunately.  Also, I'm suspecting that Linux connecting to Windows isn't a huge priority for many home users making the switch.

Can you install the simple samba gui programs you mentioned?  Normally Linux is known for flexibility/customization potential, so I would be surprised if Bodhi cannot support something for this.

The above said, if anyone has any useful tips/hints/etc and we think a Wiki would be valuable to the community, I would be open to explore that.

• Like 1

I found the best way to make samba work is to install webmin and then make sure you choose to run samba server on startups. Start with taht and then go into configuring the shares.

Michel

OK I've got the same problem. Any hints, besides the "easy" setup that doesn't work, about how you finally got it to work?

Install Webmin and make sure you check for the samba server to start on startups then go and configure your shares. Let me know how it goes. Michel