tuk0z

Add localization cap' to Bodhi applications eg EepDater

Hi all!

Bodhi 4.3 is currently one of the systems we ship with the fully refurbished machines we sell at the local Repair coffee/fablab. Quite some people are interested in getting a working computer that's simple, updatable and reasonabily secure for the coming years.
Only they do not know English (yeah, as weird as it may sound to some people --often coming from an English speaking family... ;))

Some in-house Bodhi tools are localized/localizable (such as ePhoto) but not all. E.g. EepDater : I can't find any code that'd allow one to contribute to its localization. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be willing to give a hand too.

We do try to show people how to maintain their Bodhi system up to date. But some are having a hard time clicking on stuff they can't even read. And IMHO it'd be cool to have localizable simple-to-use in-house tools, rather than having to add alternatives (e.g. Appgrid, Synaptic).

I agree that a number of programs included with Bodhi or developed by us do not have localization support, or proper localization support.  It has been something I wished to add to one point. But it has been low priority. Just for the interest what languages would you be willing to help support?

I had an idea of running the localization job in the past.

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/12830-modules-localization-job/

Fortunately some users contributed. I can help you with all extra modules but not with EepDater which is written in PyEFL. I have no experience with these kind of SW.

Anyway, there is also possibility to switch Bodhi to other language. I believe you found it in the settings. Some translations need to be checked or added. I did this job for Slovak language some months ago. Slovak had very bad translations and I spent almost 3 weeks with it. This is job only for determined people :)

https://github.com/JeffHoogland/moksha/tree/master/po

Stefan

• Like 1

The Waiter: https://github.com/thewaiter/Clipboard/tree/master/po is an example of what I was looking for :)

ylee : French (mother tongue), Arabic (medium) and Chinese simplified (maybe, depends how far I'd be able to get back in my memory ;) )

Thanks guys! Now for EepDater which is written in PyEFL, would po files be feasible may be?

Need to check if the code is ready for localization. Need to add some gettext "bijou". Frankly, I do not assume it is there but I believe Robert (Ylee) or Jeff will take care if their time permits.

Nice to read The waiter. And if some small hands are needed at some point please count me in, frankly. I've only developped for the Web and administered loads of Linux systems since 2k sure, but getting a bit in software development would be OK.