Sign in to follow this  
yankeecactus

strange volume behavior

Question

Hi,

When I play mp3 files via GUI, the volume is plenty loud.  When I use MOC, it's much quieter.  I can't for the life of me figure out why.  ALSAmixer is maxed out.  Any thoughts about how to resolve this?

10 answers to this question

Hello.

Forget the alsa mixer. Bodhi sound is based on pulse audio. Install pavucontrol gui and try to play with settings.

• Like 1

Hello again and sorry for the delay (family etc)

As I said you can use pavucotrol. Go to the Playback section and you will see the moc volume sliders. Pavucontrol is able to control ALSA volume via plugin. Screenshot:

e-5a06aa8333aac1.88894223.jpg

I hope this will help you. If not let me know 

Stefan

EDIT: I have found MOC could work through pulseaudio. There is a package called moc-pulse, but is is available only for ubuntu 16.10 and higher. Not sure it will work with Bodhi. Also needs to test. 

Thank you so much for the help.  I think I need to clarify my situation a little bit.  I am running this dinosaur laptop as a makeshift audio server in my music classroom.  I use SSH from my district-supplied chromebook to play music through the stereo.  This setup is ideal for me because when the network (inevitably) goes down, I can fall back to using the laptop itself.  The strange thing is that audio from MOC is significantly quieter than if I use a GUI app, say VLC.  (So I explode everyone's eardrums when I use VLC). I want to permanently boost MOC's output without setting the overall system volume any higher.

Does this make sense?  Is this a thing that can be done?

That link gave me a page not found error.

I did figure out that pavucontrol does let me adjust the volumes for each software source.  I just never tried it while MOC was playing.  So now I've got MOC boosted to 155% and VLC down to about 70%, which works ok.  I'd really like to boost MOC to something like 400%.  Is that possible?

so pressing x makes the volume control display change from "Master" to "Soft".   Now the volume is significantly louder, but I have far less control.  0% is off.  10 - 70% sounds about the same amount of loud.  80-100% is slightly louder.  Weird.  

Edit - OOOOOH   I get it!  Combining the use of "Soft" and "Master" gives me the control I'm looking for.  Awesome!  Thank you for the help!