robot774

AppCenter version numbers

Hi,

I was just now using Inkscape. While following a tutorial I noticed that the Xenial version for Bhodi, fully updated, is a version behind the current version (0.91 vs 0.92.x) and that some features are different. 

Naturally I went to update with apt, but the newest version there is the version I have.  

My next idea was to look at Bhodi's own App Center. This was less useful than I wanted it to be.

There are no version numbers given in the AppCenter.

When I click to install it tells me "already installed" again with no version number.

My suggestion is that the AppCenter provide version numbers for the software. If I could have seen that it was trying to install the same version as I already have I could have saved myself the bother.

Maybe a little thing, but probably easy to include?

Your comment sounds like common sense. :) I would imagine a bit of code parsing either the filename would probably make your request a reality. 

A common misconception, so maybe something we should document somewhere more apparent, is that the App Center is some special software installation place.

It isn't though. The App Center is just a GUI front end that tells your package manager to install software via apt. Think of it like synaptic - but through a web browser. We don't list the version numbers there because the version of software installed on Bodhi 4 will likely be different than Bodhi 3 for instance which both work with the app center. 

Most of our software sources come from upstream sources - not the Bodhi repos - we don't really have the team size in place to manually check against all these version numbers and update them for something that is a very minimal improvement. 

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I will admit to lacking sufficient knowledge in web dev to offer a specific bit of code to make what I am suggesting work. apt-get -s install <package> with a keyword per page (inkscape, libreoffice-core-base or is it libreoffice-base-core, etc) with a search through the latter bit of the output for the keyword and some concatenation one could reliably(?) get a version number per individual install.

Like I said maybe my suggestion/idea is too kludgy and/or too dependent on perfect information to function 99+% of the time.

It would be fairly trivial if I recall to display the version to be installed in the apturl ELM window that pops up after you click install, but this is different from displaying it on the web page itself. 

• Like 1

Even if this were something more-or-less manual, would it be that intensive to keep up to date?   That is, how often do version numbers update on most of these items?  I mean, I know windoz updates all krap x.x.x.x.351345234 nightly, but we are not doing that.  Weekly?  Monthly?  Maybe just something manual until we can script something?

That question posed, I would still think there would be some variable or something to pass that would capture this info; from messing around with web pages however I totally get where Jeff is coming from ["easy" is sometimes near impossible and also the converse!],.

Thoughts?

The problem with displaying it on the web page is again - different Bodhi versions. Also - just different repositories people might have installed on their local systems.

For example let's say user A has a PPA installed for Thunar file manager - well the app center is going to install the latest versions in that user's repositories - not the Bodhi specific ones because that is how the package manager works and the App Center just sends commands to the package manager.

Not to mention different Bodhi versions all using the app center with different package versions for each. With the release of Bodhi 5 this Summer we will have 3 major Bodhi versions we are supporting at any given time. 

• Like 1

Most of our software sources come from upstream sources - not the Bodhi repos - we don't really have the team size in place to manually check against all these version numbers and update them for something that is a very minimal improvement.

Do not check anything! Just do it beginning from today.

Additionally:

Not to mention different Bodhi versions all using the app center with different package versions for each. With the release of Bodhi 5 this Summer we will have 3 major Bodhi versions we are supporting at any given time.

What for, you maintenanse all of these Bothi versions???

Just focus on one. And that's it.

P.S.

@robot774

Your post is a great idea!

It has to do with our upstream and LTS versions (Long Term Support) - certain Linux distros maintain their support even after new versions are released so that people are not forced to upgrade, increased probability of stability, etc.

Our upstream, Ubuntu, falls into this category.  It would be nice (and much easier) to just focus on one, but ultimately, we need to support older versions too.  This provides our community with the choice to upgrade, verses being told to upgrade.

At least that is my understanding.

It has to do with our upstream and LTS versions (Long Term Support) - certain Linux distros maintain their support even after new versions are released so that people are not forced to upgrade, increased probability of stability, etc.

Our upstream, Ubuntu, falls into this category.  It would be nice (and much easier) to just focus on one, but ultimately, we need to support older versions too.  This provides our community with the choice to upgrade, verses being told to upgrade.

At least that is my understanding.

So, encourage people to update system in this way, that you enter the changes which were proposed here only for the latest version of the system. In my opinion that would be sufficient.

This "feature" is a lot of needless work for very little gain.

Bodhi is a hobby project where we pick the parts we spend time on carefully based on what we want to do and what we find fun. The only tedious stuff most of us do is what is needed to make the OS happen.

This won't be happening.

• Like 4

To the original poster: it would be nice if the version numbers would be shown, but if it's difficult to implement it than it's not wort the effort.

Many users install very little software from the AppCenter. You should not rely on it for everything.

You can follow the procedure in  https://code.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/+archive/ubuntu/stable to upgrade to the last version.

Many other projects provide .deb files for download that you can install using the gdebi program.

Not the answer you were looking for, but anyone who has issues with the appcenter might want to try synaptic package manager.  It's a fully-featured package management GUI app, and with a little help to understand it, it's really powerful and fairly easy to use.

• Like 2

Not the answer you were looking for, but anyone who has issues with the appcenter might want to try synaptic package manager.  It's a fully-featured package management GUI app, and with a little help to understand it, it's really powerful and fairly easy to use.

Off topic,

I wish there a Kind Guys Who shall update the Synaptic to also include snaps, appimages, and others. :):wub:

• Like 1