Sign in to follow this  
vvkozmenko

Minor problem - index files failed to download

Question

Hi, guys,

Running updates via sudo apt-get update, I've been recently having these types of errors that do not affect the system performance.

W: GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_17.04  Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 0FAD31CA8719FCE4
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
val@val-ThinkPad-X200s:~$

I would appreciate if someone told me how to fix this particular problem, and how to address similar problems in the future.

Thank you and happy New Year to everyone.

Val

3 answers to this question

Val, when you have seen this occur more than once (like me), you have to hit rewind.

Back up to the line right above 'index files failed to download'; just a few words and you see 404 Not found, and if you have been on the 'net you should know what a 404 error is. A file is missing. The file is identified right there, on that same line. That is why synaptic, or its CLI equivalent, apt remains the one true idiotproof program for Debian-and-derivatives diehards: it is so standalone that even its error messages are self-contained.  It is time for you to finish the other half of that; what happened when you blinked, to xenial amd64 since.

If I were an Ubuntu guy or a Bodhi guy I could tell you. I don't even know what FFS a xenial is.

Those messages do indeed point to repositories you have added no longer being valid / being offline for a time. Removing them will "fix" these messages, but as a heads up these messages are harmless. They are just letting you know that repos you've added aren't accessible.