ramanio

Bodhi Linux

i have this homework about bodhi linux and there are questions I don't know the answer to and i was wondering if you guys could help me ? 

the questions goes as follows.

what is bodhi's default desktop environment 

which init system doess bodhi use ?

which package manager does bodhi use

and does bodhi use x-server + x-windows ?

​would really appreciate it if i could get some help. 

Hello ramanio,

Welcome to the forums!

I can help!

Default Desktop - now Moksha (previous versions [2.4.0 and earlier] used Enlightenment).

Init - systemd

Package Manager - DEB

The last one I am pretty sure is x-server.

You can check here for more details.

That's sort of crazy that you have homework on Bodhi - but awesome!

Hope that helps; cheers!

Hello ramanio,

Welcome to the forums!

I can help!

Default Desktop - now Moksha (previous versions [2.4.0 and earlier] used Enlightenment).

Init - systemd

Package Manager - DEB

The last one I am pretty sure is x-server.

You can check here for more details.

That's sort of crazy that you have homework on Bodhi - but awesome!

Hope that helps; cheers!

thx you helped me big time sorry for bothering again but do you maybe know What the graphical format system used in bodhi linux is ? and Graphic configuration system  is. haha i know right i currently studying ict and we got like 20 questions about different distributions and i got bodhi

[do you know] what the graphical format system used in bodhi linux is and graphic configuration system is?  haha i know right i currently studying ict and we got like 20 questions about different distributions and i got bodhi

I'm not sure about these, but I'm not certain I know what you are asking unfortunately.  Maybe another member may have this information? 

The only thing that I have heard referenced to as a graphical format system is raster vs. vector...but generally those just apply to image editor programs and are not OS dependent (that I have heard of).

I attempted a search for graphic configuration system and came up dry - I'm not sure what this would be asking about - sorry!

Community?  Ideas?

Graphical configuration system is not a term I've ever heard used in my last decade using Linux. 

Graphical configuration system is not a term I've ever heard used in my last decade using Linux. 

I was wondering if it was just me :wacko:

Well, I'll bet those questions weren't written by anyone familiar with Linux. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, I'll bet those questions weren't written by anyone familiar with Linux. :rolleyes:

...that was my initial thought... ^_^

That said, it's QBasic.  Definitely QBasic.

Oh wait...

• Like 1

OK, keeping good faith,

Graphical configuration system? As in, the main control on how the desktop are rendered?

That would be EFL (https://www.enlightenment.org/about-efl.md), with either ecomorph or compton as compositor, although that optional. :)

But, I never heard the term graphical configuration system in Microsoft Ecosystem either.  :wacko:

• Like 2

these are some of the questions some like all of them lol

trim1) What is the purpose of your linux distribution, for which target audience is the distribution made, what are the

main applications of this distribution.

2) What is the history of creation, of which other distribution is it a fork, which is why

the fork is made.

3) Tell a little more about the original distribution, describe the biggest differences between the

effective distribution and the fork

4) Which software license is chosen for distribution (open source / free software etc ..). Briefly explain

what this license stands for and what the opinion of the FreeSoftwareFoundation about this license is.

5) what are the minimum system requirements for your distribution

6) Describe the installation process. (If your distribution allows it, try it out on a virtual one

machine)

7) What is the default bootloader? Describe where you can adjust the configuration of this boot loader

8) Which is the default file system that is used by your distribution, explain briefly what is happening

specific to this file system.

9) Which other file systems are supported?

10) Which init system does this distribution use?

11) Which package manager does your distribution use?

12) Is there a front-end / back-end package mananger? If so, describe both the frontend and backend.

13) Give an example of this package manager:

- how to install a program

- how to remove a program,

- how to remove a program including configuration files

- how do you search for a package?

- how do you update the system, how do you upgrade the system.

14) does your distribution use an x-server + x-windows or is it different?

15) Which is the default desktop environment that uses your distribution?

16) What is the display manager?

17) What is the window manager?

18) What is the graphical configuration system used in your distribution?

19) If your distribution does not have a package manager, no x-server, etc, or as one or more of

the above questions are not applicable because your distribution is very specific than here

more detail the operation of your distribution. How do you configure it? How do you use the

specific application and / or environment for which this distribution is intended?

Ramanio,

What questions do you have left?  Shoot the numbers out and we'll give it a go.  That's a pretty comprehensive question list - nice assignment!

Cheers!

• Like 1

these are some of the questions some like all of them lol

trim1) What is the purpose of your linux distribution, for which target audience is the distribution made, what are the
2) What is the history of creation, of which other distribution is it a fork, which is why
the fork is made.
3) Tell a little more about the original distribution, describe the biggest differences between the
4) Which software license is chosen for distribution (open source / free software etc ..). Briefly explain
what this license stands for and what the opinion of the FreeSoftwareFoundation about this license is.
6) Describe the installation process. (If your distribution allows it, try it out on a virtual one
machine)
7) What is the default bootloader? Describe where you can adjust the configuration of this boot loader
8) Which is the default file system that is used by your distribution, explain briefly what is happening
10) Which init system does this distribution use?
11) Which package manager does your distribution use?
12) Is there a front-end / back-end package mananger? If so, describe both the frontend and backend.
19) If your distribution does not have a package manager, no x-server, etc, or as one or more of
the above questions are not applicable because your distribution is very specific than here
more detail the operation of your distribution. How do you configure it? How do you use the
specific application and / or environment for which this distribution is intended?

Ramanio,

What questions do you have left?  Shoot the numbers out and we'll give it a go.  That's a pretty comprehensive question list - nice assignment!

Cheers!

12,18 and 19

ok Let me help a little  understand that not all of the questions are related to this distro rather are general questions I am not the father of this distro so some answers will be my opnoion (or all) this is long sorry

1) What is the purpose of your linux distribution, for which target audience is the distribution made, what are the

From what it seems this is a bare bones unbuntu distro with some changes based on a very customazible and fast X11 wm Moshka based on  enlightenment the target audiance can be anybody as long as you want to choose everything yourself and have olny what you need as said before this is a bare bones distro while thier is a app pack release it is not the focus the basic apps are ones that run on enlightenment and the app release is fairly basic it terms of linux however as said before this distro is for your apps

the fork is made.

it is a unbuntu fork with a little chainges ask Jeff, I think the main reason was to make a stable enlightenment distro based on enlightenment 17

this I already answered above but in short Unbuntu chooses for you at the start here it is a blank state (for example try hardining a system in unbuntu you need to turn off a lot here because you olny have what you neeed thier is almost no reason to)

It is GNU 3 as far as I know differing from Debian we do not seem to concerned with fully free (ie. icefox) the rest is homework which I think they ask on the linux + exam check out GNU website https://www.gnu.org

I think 500mhz and 256 ram but never tried it (my 400mhz box is ipcop) tested tried and used with 1ghz 512 ram no PAE dell laptop with full apps and it runs fast

machine)

well download (torrent) and try but it is a unbuntu install

GURB 1 ( I would really like grub 2 with tmp support) this is a general linux question google it

as a unbuntu fork this is just unbuntu answers

• Like 1

There are a couple of major packages in linux RPM for red hat and co Deb for debian and co Yast for Suse and co they all have a front end and backend for debian/ unbuntu it is synaptic (frontend) and apt-get (backend) even though we have a app center it is a front end to apt-get upgadeing is done by a dedicated app (but you can use apt-get also of course) the rest is for you to try

yes x11 not wayland Jeff has made it clear that he does not intinded to jump into wayland as x11 is better (even though unbuntu now comes with wayland) I think he is right and this  imho comes from wanting to have a stadle goood dristro ( the reason why no upgrade in EFL)

as said before Moksha a fort of enlightenment but you can gt E21 in the repositories also it is all inclusive see the enlightenment website https://www.enlightenment.org/

as said above we don't know what you want but if it is to contrast gnome and kde we use GTK (gnome)

the key to understanding linux and especially Enlightenment Moksha is to try it

• Like 1

Regarding 12,

CMIIW,

The default backend is Bodhi repo (b4main), forgot the exact url.

Bodhi default front end for Ubuntu Repo is eepdater, with Browser, back then Midori, as GUI, bridged using apturl-elm. ;)

Regarding 12,

CMIIW,

The default backend is Bodhi repo (b4main), forgot the exact url.

Bodhi default front end for Ubuntu Repo is eepdater, with Browser, back then Midori, as GUI, bridged using apturl-elm. ;)

Don't think this is correct. The back-end is dpkg, same as Ubuntu uses, with the terminal front-end apt or apt-get (preferred).

Some kind of front-end is the web based Appcenter with a small software collection that facilitates easy installing.

Eepdater is a gui to facilitate easy updating your system. Both the Appcenter and Eepdater use apt-get under the hood.

The Bodhi repository is just an addition to the Ubuntu repositories where we store our "own" developed/maintained packages. But that's not asked for in the question.

The second part of the question requires some searching the internet but that is what students are supposed to do. It is their homework, not ours. I'm always willing to give a helping hand, but not the "heavy labour". 

Enjoy,

Charles

• Like 1

The second part of the question requires some searching the internet but that is what students are supposed to do. It is their homework, not ours. I'm always willing to give a helping hand, but not the "heavy labour". 

Thank you Charles. I was going to say that I wished homework was this easy when I was in school.  :)  I'm afraid that if an answer is 'given' the lesson may be 'forgotten'.

@ ramanio

I have to ask, what class is this?

• Like 2

Thank you Charles. I was going to say that I wished homework was this easy when I was in school.  :)  I'm afraid that if an answer is 'given' the lesson may be 'forgotten'.

@ ramanio

I have to ask, what class is this?

Have the same question too, my campus laboratories used Redhat as an undergraduate, I tinkered with Mandrake on my desktops, throughout my academic life I have never saw anybody using Bodhi Linux as a lab workstation though I have seen openSUSE and Ubuntu on students' laptops.

Would it make any sense to compile all of this into the Wiki?  I'm not sure most of it really matters to the general user base, other than curiosity? 

• Like 1

I agree with Oblio. Including this information in WiKi would be useful especially for the people who want to know the history of the distro

I have added this to my "to do list". 

It's been a few busy weeks on the home front...hopefully this weekend is call and I can edit some Wikis!

• Like 1