Sign in to follow this  
amerigena

Upgrading Bodhi 3.0.0 to E22?

Question

This question is only partially Bodhi related, so I will understand completely if no one chooses to answer or venture an opinion; that being said, here goes :

According to the reading I've done, the only way to install E22 is via PPA (which is frowned upon in these forums, I understand). But, If I burned and installed Bodhi 3.0.0 on a system, removed the default Bodhi repositories, and added this PPA, it should, in theory, update the Bodhi installation to the current version of Enlightenment, E22?

As I said, I would appreciate, but don't necessarily expect, an answer to this question.

Happy New Year everyone!

amerigena

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Hello Amerigena, Happy New Year to you too!

This is not something I have tried  -  but back in the days of 3.x one of my (former) Bodhi n00bs in the posse went with E19 et seq, and reported (some 3 months ago) that he was still pretty happy with it.  

A n00b no longer, it seems!  

That was on a hand-optimised AMD APU-based low-budget Steam gaming box that was (for a while) the envy of his friends at school.  Back when the APU was a new thing.

If you like I'll ask him for an update?

Don't worry about people frowning on things you want to try.  Try them anyway!  

No big loss if it fails,  but the grin when you win is priceless!

Good luck with it - and let us know how it goes - all the best, Ben

• Like 1

This question is only partially Bodhi related, so I will understand completely if no one chooses to answer or venture an opinion; that being said, here goes :

According to the reading I've done, the only way to install E22 is via PPA (which is frowned upon in these forums, I understand). But, If I burned and installed Bodhi 3.0.0 on a system, removed the default Bodhi repositories, and added this PPA, it should, in theory, update the Bodhi installation to the current version of Enlightenment, E22?

As I said, I would appreciate, but don't necessarily expect, an answer to this question.

Happy New Year everyone!

amerigena

In theory, yes, but,

I don't know if current modules in Moksha are compatible with e22,

especially, and the most inportant for me, are themes. :)

No, modules will gone. I mean extra modules. They are not compatible. I installed e22 from source some time ago. Also some themes are in trouble...

• Like 1

Is there a reason you specifically need / want the 3.0.0 base instead of the 4.x base? E22 is actually in the Bodhi 4 testing brach for easy install (it will replace moksha though on the installed system). 

• Like 2

So :

1). Install latest Bodhi.

2). Add testing repository.

3). Apt update && apt install enlightenment terminology, like the directions I've see before? And yes, installing e22 will remove Moksha, understood.

Thank you

amerigena

So far, this Bodhi install has been extremely stable, and since everything has been working so well, I'm getting accustomed to the lack of desktop icons - I haven't been able to figure out how to add folders to iBar yet. So no upgrade to E22.

Thanks again.

amerigena 

For me, I just love a completely "blank" desktop....image and nothing else....

Sorry you want desktop icons.  Guess that is why I am on this distro....my FS manges everything, and I don't use a desktop to hold my files.

You can do it in Bodhi...but ask around, others will help you.  I think icons are iBar driven or something similar.