Sign in to follow this  
mitija

Major issue today... bodhi uninstalled itself. What happened?

Question

Hi guys,

today something quite weird happened. It was about 9:30am (GMT+11, so it must have been 22:30 UTC), when I had the idea to do a "apt update" and then "apt dist-upgrade". I did not pay much attention to whatever apt wrote on the screen, and just clicked on "yes"...

And then, apt removed all the bodhi packages! And even more: it also removed all the  I could not start X any more. A search on "bodhi" wouldn't even find the package "bodhi-desktop"... As a temporary solution, I installed ubuntu-desktop :(

Later during the day, the package bodhi-desktop was again available, so I reinstalled it. I still had some warnings that I was using some unsupported enlightenment modules...

Overall, really weird. Any idea of what happened?

Cheers

Raphaël

3 answers to this question

I recall seeing mention of moksha getting an update, I think it was beta. Maybe the update got pushed out by accident?

Without knowing the exact output of the commands - I can't really know what happened for you. Nothing Bodhi desktop related has been updated in the non-testing branch of the Bodhi 4 repos. The last update to Moksha outside of testing was in December http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/pool/b4main/m/moksha/

Likely you installed a package or a repo that conflicts with something Bodhi related and your package manager tried to "correct" the issue by removing some of the conflicting packages. 

In general it is a good idea to pay attention to what your package manager is telling you it is going to do before agreeing to let it do it - especially if you have any 3rd party repositories enabled. 

• Like 1