Sign in to follow this  
SRYoung

Ecomorph crashes 3rd of screen

Question

I am a big fan of ecomorph and use it alot (ok only to show of to others) recently it has been crashing only one third of the screen everything else works fine and I can restart Moksha but ecomorph does not start until a new log in here is the dmesg

[ 2676.551178] ecomorph[1796]: segfault at 80 ip 00007f1c44922723 sp 00007ffcbece52d0 error 4 in libanimation.so[7f1c44913000+24000]

I know this in not a well used module but it has a great cool factor (like the walking penguins now if I could get a command line to turn them on with the alarm module that would be great)

4 answers to this question

Would you happen to have engage running on the machine with that crash?

Because I just set up my normal setup with engage on the bottom of the screen and tried to load up ecomorph with

ecomorph ini

only to have the bottom third of my screen glitch to black.   I had engage set to auto-hide when windows overlap, and it was hidden, but when I moved the mouse down and brought engage up, the screen un-glitched and appeared normal-ish until engage hid itself again, and then the screen glitched again.

rNGBUsx.png

Out of curiosity, I turned auto-hiding off in engage and the problem went away.  I've reproduced this several times in a row now while typing this.

This seems related to an old bug in engage that Jeff had fixed a while back, involving a switch being flipped on when compositing was turned on and then not being turned off properly, if I recall correctly.

This system is mostly stock 4.1-64 with updates, aside from a handful of standard software I've installed in the last 2 days.  I'm using the green theme and haven't done any hack-ish mods to the system.

edit: rebooted and did more testing just to be sure.  Same results.  Still derpy.

Just a reminder to those reading this thread that Ecomorph is old, buggy, and not supported. I only put it in the repo because some folks had asked for it and said it worked for them as is. You mileage trying to use it on different software / hardware configurations will likely vary. 

• Like 2

yup you got the problem but I have not trued on or off compositing it is always on this is on 4.4 and I know that ecomorph is dead or on the way however it is cool and does get new users interested (go figure some effects and it looks that this is a very advanced os I am not saying it isn't...) look sometimes you have to look at linux from a sales reps eyes and in that light ecomorph is very important as well as those penguins. I would really like to update ecomorph to be runnig on open gl but I do not have time and I too do not think it is a core function to put time into it.

For anyone trying to set up compositing in Bodhi right now:

I have had a double-handful of other issues with ecomorph since my last post here.  There are so many, they aren't worth explaining/documenting properly right now.  I ended up switching to compton and it's working almost perfectly for me.  I'd recommend that over ecomorph.  (Though I always liked compton better, anyway...)