The waiter

E menu right side hack

Question

Hello there

I had some time for playing around and I decided to fulfill the needs of some users (mainly Timmi, who was asking for it)

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/14815-bodhi-440-released/?p=107428

and I hacked the Moksha desktop menu. Let me explain in more details:

As you know, if you click on the shelf placed on the right, or gadget placed on the right side of the screen, or just on the screen, the menu appears but submenus cascade is still on the right scrolling to show its content. I can remember how I said "it is weird behavior" but after years I got used to it. Anyway now you have an opportunity to have it as in LXDE. If you click on the right side of the screen, the main menu appears and submenus will appear in cascades on the left. Maybe nice feature to have in Moksha for new people, people used to different desktops or just complaining people (hello Timmi again :) ). Take this hack as an experimental feature which needs some time for testing. A toggle for this new function you will find in the Menu Settings-Miscellaneous-No Menu Scroll.

Now a picture:

e-5a8865a2ccec12.99702102.png

I hope it will find some users. I will be glad for some feedback. Mainly I am not sure the toggle name is perfect.

If you are ready for testing, clone moksha frm my git

https://github.com/thewaiter/moksha

Enjoy

Stefan

• Like 3

16 answers to this question

Very impressive! I hope he appreciates it! Menu never bothered me and I keep the main menu all the way right on my top shelf!

@TheWaiter

Wow!  That is great!  I will have to try that out.

However, at first glance, I am not sure I understand what I am supposed to grab from that link, or how to install.

I'd really like to do your efforts justice.  I hope this will be made available to the many, who come anew to Bodhi.

I'll have to look that over. I don't have the Linux proficiency to navigate this things with ease.

Good timing btw, as Windoze10 is killing me!  And I was just about to do a reinstall, with Linux as my main distro and windoze7 as the secondary for running Fusion360. (because I really have no choice in the matter - all the "real" CAD software that industry uses requires windoze - no one uses the (unstable and/or unfinished/limited) free stuff).

• Like 1

I'm with you, Timmi.

I've mentioned this 'right-click' context thingy long before you. And it's the first thing I change when I installed Bodhi.

And I won't 'complain' about it any more.

To be fair, there was this desktop sliding around when you move the mouse to the edges. I 'complained' about it (to the "E" people) and it was fixed (no longer default - can be fixed by user, just like this 'right click thingy'). And the file directories showing up in the desktop and....The good thing about E (and Bodhi) is that most things can be changed by the user, perhaps a bit harder than in Openbox or Fluxbox.

Generally there was much less things to change whenever we installed Bodhi.

Nowadays, there are much more things to replace and remove, econnman network manager was replaced by default, but  perhaps  I personally find the other 'e' things less appealing, I've more to do. And 'sudo' still works without removing 'esudo' (which we can't - not sure about that - I'd leave that alone).

But yes, some of the factors we users decide on what distro to use (or to help in forums) are not just technical issues or in-spite of them. Sometimes the team and members can make a difference despite a good leadership and vice versa. The 'bashing' you mentioned about may not be in bad faith. The 'intent' is not in malice. Each of us have different levels of sensitivities and we ourselves too often think others have that same level. And true, some may have an ego-need to fulfill. And we let that pass. Personally (and generally), I find the Bodhi people here excellent.

End of the day, it is a decision for each of us to make. Nobody is stopping us.

Cheers.

• Like 1

OK guys. I like it will be for at least two people :)

Timmi, as far as installing is concerned, we will create a deb file in testing branch where you can download moksha package and then install and test it. I was working on another fix, so I did not rush the release. I will let you know...

Gohlip: we are too tiny crew separated from E devs. They go their own way and we ours. To fulfil our dreams is not just about saying we want it. We have our project priorities. This around dev work costs a lot of time, energy and learning. We have families and personal lives. We are not a company which is making changes for money... Just to be clear

• Like 2

OK guys. I like it will be for at least two people :)

- can be fixed by user, just like this 'right click thingy'

No problem, don't mind if I don't say thanks.  :lol:

Gohlip: we are too tiny crew separated from E devs. They go their own way and we ours. To fulfil our dreams is not just about saying we want it. We have our project priorities. This around dev work costs a lot of time, energy and learning. We have families and personal lives. We are not a company which is making changes for money... Just to be clear

Of course we all know that. The point Timmi is saying and I agree is that there is also.....Oh, he has edited his post.

Well, well the point is moot.

Anyway, regardless of whether it is paid, voluntary or charity, nobody can say improper behavior can be accepted.

Not saying it is here, in fact, I did mention there is no bad faith I see anywhere in this forum.

Let's move on.

• Like 1

Hi, The Waiter,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, commitment and skills. Your work serves as a proof of concept that this is doable. Wow!

Thank you for the great job.

Val

• Like 2

This is a "feature, not a bug" feature I've always liked about E.  I suppose I was also used to the menus not running off of the screen before I first used E, but my initial reaction to seeing the menus scroll around in the E way was something like "OH CRAP! Is it broken?  Wait, no... *finds menu scroll mechanic* it's not broken, it's AWESOME!  WHOA!!!!"

I don't personally have a use for this new feature, but if I've learned anything during my time hanging around Bodhi's community, it's that people like all sorts of crazy desktop setups that I would never even consider as usable.  I see no reason why we shouldn't have a way to make the menu behave either way, and it's cool that it can be done. I'm sure the feature will get plenty of use once it's properly documented. :D

• Like 3

I agree. E/moksha has plenty of desktop setups which are less useful than this feature. Why not to have it...

• Like 1

Speaking of "all kinds of crazy desktop setups", I did not feel that my pointing out it's behavior, was a request for anything "crazy".  Rather, I observed that it's current behavior is abnormal and outside the accepted norms of the past 3 decades.  And inefficient, since it requires an extra mouse-gesture into the right margin, for each sub-level, and sometimes those are a few deep. 

OK, I'll just leave it alone.  If it's not there, it's not there, and I'm a bit too lost to follow instructions from those who are levels above me.

Anyways, just seeing all your replies today.

I think the gang is a wonderful bunch, and I certainly think it's great that Bodhi exists and a couple people have the passion to sacrifice themselves to make it happen.  I don't quite get the desire/necessity to accelerate the pace of development of new versions... you went from it being put into question, development being halted, to a slow pace in version 3, and now we're seeing iterations of 4 and as 4.5 is out you're already working on 5.  Seems a little hasty... and a recipe for over-working yourselves, once again.

My feedback would be, make it intuitive, make it resources-efficient, make it reliable.  Efficiency is certainly an area where most distros these days are failing: granted, new PCs are more powerful... but people aren't going to trash their new W10 OS on a brand-new PC (not unless they're a linux-geek/programmer, which is an infinitesimally-small minority of new hardware buyers). The mass-user-base aren't linux geeks. (Or are they? If they are, something is wrong, as the target audience is being missed).  Most Linux end users turn to Linux to rejuvenate the older machines.  Period.  That's the masses.  And distros where this is remembered, that are efficient and quick, are getting very rare. Of course, every version of Windoze adds a new reason to turn to Linux... but still, not those with new hardware for the majority.   Accelerating the pace of development, only makes me fear, that yet another efficient distro may no longer be one.  I'd much rather see work being done to compact the code, make it faster and more efficient, and of course, iron out the glitches.

I don't work on the distro itself, but I believe that our road map more or less is at the mercy of Ubuntu releases...I'm sure I'll be informed if I am wrong.

I would say that there are three major types of distros - those looking to be Windows replacements (with all their bloat and everything you could want and be the solution for the masses - a swiss army knife of sorts [ubuntu, Mint]), those that are meant to be lightweight and efficient (Bodhi, etc), and those that are build-your-own (Arch, etc).

I think our dev team does aim to be intuitive, efficient and reliable...the last two for sure are ticked...intuitive is sort of a personal preference...our desktop works for some people and not others.  We strive to please, but at the end of the day, we have to make decisions and pick a direction.  I personally haven't found any issues with Bodhi which is why I run it on my two PCs, my laptop, netbook and even an old tablet (with external keyboard).  It works for me, has for around 6 years...I really personally wouldn't change anything.  Again, that is just me, I cannot and will not speak for the masses! :)

More and more people are coming to Linux to escape paying for an OS, subscribing to software and for increased flexibility, stability, efficiency, etc.  Some major PC vendors now even sell systems retail with Linux installed...which is a HUGE step forward.  Agreed, most PC users want Windows because they are familiar or don't even know other options are easy and exist.  Shock of my life, as a long time Maximum PC subscriber, they even started covering Linux in each issue...that is also huge.  I'm quite certain the wave is growing...as more and more people start being frustrated with forced updates, OS UI overhauls (looking at you Windows 8.0...), subscriptions, etc, it's just a matter of time until Linux is mainstream.  I'm not sure current Linux users even care or want that.

I know many users that buy new powerbooks/workstations and immediately install Linux.  For many mission critical systems where stability is a must, there really isn't another option.  Bodhi certainly has a massive base of users looking to rejuvenate old systems but also has users such as me with more modern systems too.  Jeff has some really great machines...I'm sure Bodhi FLIES on his systems!

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and get where you are coming from.  Thank you for your feedback and the conversation - it's always welcome here.  We are a small Team...I'm grateful for everyone's efforts.

Thank you, Timmi!

• Like 4

For the reference to the different version numbers and working too hard, I can't speak for him, but I don't think Jeff decides how often to release a distro based on how much work we put into bodhi.  I think the releases are generally scheduled around updates of the ubuntu LTS version that Bodhi is based on.  As the newer/updated versions of that come out, he usually rolls a new/updated Bodhi iso with the updated ubuntu and whatever we've managed to accomplish, regardless of how much that may be.  This is to prevent new users from having massive amounts of updates on a fresh install, not an effort to rush and push out new features in Bodhi.   In fact, I think the only reason we have a Bodhi 4.5 is because 4.4 had a serious issue with the kernel, not because of any new features we were working on.

The real things that drain our devs are the emergency-problems that lead to questions like "Should we fork E17 and try to maintain our own WM for Bodhi forever?" and "What do we do about the kernel bug in our latest release that's effecting a large percentage of users?"  And there's no way to control when or where those kinds of problems pop up.

Anyway, hope that clears things up a bit. :)

• Like 4

I agree with Deepspeed. BL 4.5 was aimed to solve the security issues. Our moksha and other new fixes or features are planned to BL 5 but there is not a big deal to have it anytime we want. It is just a matter of updating and upgrading.

As far as the hasty pace is concerned. We (devs) have a development channel or just communicate each other different way about the issues or plans. After some months we know our profiles and we know what we can do. I can speak for myself and last two months I was just on a good wave thus successful in some moksha fixes or enhancements. The only reason of doing it is I like looking under the hood and understand how things work. The side effect is tons of my bugs (I am still a pure newbie) but maybe I can help some people to have fixed bugs or make new stuff for community :)

This way I want say a big THANK YOU to my "pen friend" (lol) Robert (ylee) for leading me in my steep? learning curve and motivating me to another work for the community.

Stefan

• Like 5

I'm quite certain the wave is growing...as more and more people start being frustrated with forced updates, OS UI overhauls (looking at you Windows 8.0...), subscriptions, etc, it's just a matter of time until Linux is mainstream.  I'm not sure current Linux users even care or want that.

I think I'm in this boat.

On one hand it's good to have more users, which lends to more features and development.

However on the other hand, the more users, the more viruses, trojans, malware, etc that will be developed to try to target all of those users.

(Sorry, not trying to steer this post off-track. Just had to get my 2 cents in there!)   :wacko:

• Like 1