Stargazer

Bodhi - 4.5.0 - Installer got stucked while adding new user with encryption enabled

Question

Hi there,

I found Bodhi and was very surprised by the desktop and its fast acceleration even on low performance hardware.

But... then I've tried to encrypt a new clean install by using LVM and in addition an encrypted home dir.

The installer of version 4.5.0 got stucked while adding the new user with encrypted home dir and that's it - nothing more happens, no activity on hard drive, install media nor RAM.

As I've tried several times, the installer got stucked every time if encrypted LVM and/ or/ both with encrypted home dir were selected.

So, everything having to do with encryption lets get the installer freeze while adding the new user...

I've searched for this issue a while, but wasn't able to find anything useful.

So I thought, you're my be able to help me with or provide a fixed version of the installer.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Stargazer

bodhi_add_new_user_stucked.png

11 answers to this question

did you do updates as part of install?  i was told not to and not sure if that situation is fixed.  mine froze too when i checked the do updates on install.

this may not be your problem but tossing it out for thought.

oh - welcome to Bodhi!

Sorry, forgot to add that information.

I've tried with and without internet connection, updates, 3rd party drivers and software.

Without encryption enabled, all is fine. As I've selected encryption independend from all other options, it froze.

I'm fairly certain this is a known issue with the Ubuntu installer which we use. If you use full disc encryption I believe it should work for you. 

• Like 1

I've re-downloaded the image, MD5 summ checked and tried a fresh install with a combination of your both suggestions.

Updates and encrypted home dir disabled, whole disk encryption enabled - the installer seemed to get frozen, but finished after a while of no activity successfully.

All other combinations did not work properly.

For my use case I need to encrypt the whole disk and the separated home dir itself - each with a different passphrase.

@Jeff - When it'll be fixed?

Update: After reboot, I'm not able to unlock the encrypted disk.

unable_to_unlock.png

Hello Stargazer,

I'm not sure but this thread may help...it seems to be an issue along the same lines.

Please let me know if this helps.

• Like 1

You'll need to disable the splash screen to enter a password with full disc encryption.

The home directory encryption isn't out bug. We are a small project and don't maintain the Ubuntu installer. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the 18.04 installer Bodhi 5.0.0 will use this Summer.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I'm always happy learning something new.

But, next issue... I've entered a passphrase with special characters, and neither with a German nor English keyboard it'll be accepted.

Error message "no key with this passphrase" is displayed every time I'm trying to enter it.

So I've re-installed another instance without special characters and it worked, finally.

For security reasons and in my opinion, special characters are state of the art and I'm really surprised that it seems to be, they can't be used in an encryption passphrase in this operating system.

As I see, there is much work to do for it.

Will it be safe upgrading from version 4.5.0 to 5 or will I've to install it all new?

We do not support upgrading between major version releases.

As for encryption + special characters - again that is all from up stream of us. We mostly just work on the desktop we provide here and inherit everything else from upstream Ubuntu since we are a smaller project. 

• Like 2

Stargazer,

Please remember, however, that we are on Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) so you won't need to upgrade your system if you do not want.  LTS systems are fully security patched, etc, so it is safe to remain on them until support drops.  Bodhi 4.5.0 is going to be supported for at least a few years (until 2021 - http://www.bodhilinux.com/w/release-cycle/). I personally still have a system on 3.y.z...that runs just fine and will be supported until next year.  This gives you plenty of time to test drive a Live version of our distro, see if you like it, migrate things, etc.

That said, I personally appreciate all of the UI changes that have come with each new iteration.  That choice is up to you; again, Bodhi is all about freedom of choice!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Moved to xubuntu - works like a charm, full disk and home dir encryption, updates enabled during installation process as well.

May be I'll give Bodhi 5 another try in the future.

Thanks and cheerio.