Sign in to follow this  
abbreviatedman

Hello everyone!

I'm a balloon-artist-turned-web-developer in Brooklyn. I'm a bit underemployed at the moment, but since I also have a new baby, so I'm looking at it as an unpaid parental leave. More time to learn Linux as well!

Speaking of which, I'm relatively new to Linux. Started using it on and off 18 months ago, now making the full-time switch with the ThinkPad x200 I just bought.

I've used Ubuntu Unity but wasn't crazy about it (particularly on my previous 2GB-of-RAM HP Stream). I moved on to Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but they were still too heavy for my little rig. I thought about Puppy Linux or Crunchbang or something barebones, but I was happy to see that with Bodhi I could have a modern UI that's still super lightweight. It runs great on my machine, and while I'm still in the honeymoon period with it, I've really enjoyed mucking around with the settings and doing some light dev work on it. It's been a great honeymoon so far!

Looking forward to exploring the forum a bit more. Thanks for making this great software and community!

-Colin

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Colin!

That's a wild career change (I'm a Biologist turned IT...so I get it :) ).  Congrats on the baby - enjoy your time, it goes very quickly!

Glad to hear you are enjoying Bodhi - it's a great distro!  Let us know if you have any questions/comments/etc as you grow with us.

Cheers!

I'm a balloon-artist-turned-web-developer in Brooklyn. I'm a bit underemployed at the moment, but since I also have a new baby, so I'm looking at it as an unpaid parental leave. More time to learn Linux as well!

Speaking of which, I'm relatively new to Linux. Started using it on and off 18 months ago, now making the full-time switch with the ThinkPad x200 I just bought.

I've used Ubuntu Unity but wasn't crazy about it (particularly on my previous 2GB-of-RAM HP Stream). I moved on to Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but they were still too heavy for my little rig. I thought about Puppy Linux or Crunchbang or something barebones, but I was happy to see that with Bodhi I could have a modern UI that's still super lightweight. It runs great on my machine, and while I'm still in the honeymoon period with it, I've really enjoyed mucking around with the settings and doing some light dev work on it. It's been a great honeymoon so far!

Looking forward to exploring the forum a bit more. Thanks for making this great software and community!

-Colin

Feel free to chat with Us here. We always ready to help. :)

Said by Software Engineer undergoing PhD in Nutrition. :)

• Like 1