Sign in to follow this  
Astroboy

Escuelas Linux 5.7, the last of our 5.x series

Escuelas Linux announces the immediate availability of its version 5.7, which is going to be the last of our 5.x series, closing in this way a cycle of development to boost the use of Free Software for educational purposes. When Bodhi Linux 5.0 (our base distro) and the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS repositories become available, we will begin to work on the design of what is going to be our 6.x series.

Escuelas Linux 5.7 is the final update for our 5.x series, released to be a bridge to continue using legacy digital learning objects, and to begin to use new ones that will be the future.

If in your country or school have old learning resources based on Java or Flash -tools that were popular in its heyday to distribute digital learning objects-, but at the same time you would like to be able to use newer tools such as some based on HTML5, Escuelas Linux is the platform that let you have the best of both worlds, because our distribution has the necessary libraries and apps to run legacy learning objects, as well as the most recent apps that are useful for educational purposes.

For the apps, the novelties are the following:

• Kernel 4.15.10
    If desired, you can easily update one of the latest kernels to date, as the script to easily do so is included in debs/other/kernel4.15 in our 64-bit ISO image.

• Teamviewer 12 and the most recent version to date of Adobe Flash are also included. Nevertheless, remember that in Escuelas Linux you can open Terminology and type ‘sudo updateflash’ to always have the most recent version of Flash at your fingertips.

• Our Install Manual has been updated to acknowledge the availability of Unetbootin for Windows and Mac, so it is our documented procedure in any OS to make bootable USB sticks. Also, a procedure to manually create Linux partitions is back, as we still find some cases in which that procedure is needed.

Bugs fixed

• The Standalone Flash Player (in the Graphics menu) didn’t work on 64-bit. Bug fixed.

• Due to missing file permissions, some legacy Flash based resources that are still used in some countries, didn’t work (such as History modules for TV based secondary schools, and some other digital learning contents). Issue fixed.

If in your own country or school you would like to make use of your own local Flash based digital learning objects, you can open them.

1. Double click in a SWF file. Or

2. If you have Flash wrapped in HTML files, do the following steps:

a) On the file manager, right click on the HTML file, choose “Firefox ESR Web Browser”
B) If the Flash content is empty or blank, right click on the area of that content, choose Global configuration → Advanced tab → Trusted Location Settings, and add to the list the root directory in which you have your Digital Learning Objects.

For Java based objects in an HTML wrapper, right click on the HTML file and choose “Firefox ESR Web Browser”.

• Terminology
    When you opened Terminology for a second time in a session, the character strings looked incomplete until you began to type. Issue fixed.

Get Escuelas Linux!

Escuelas Linux 5.7, either 32 or 64-bit, as well as the Bodhi 4.0 installer, can be downloaded from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/escuelaslinux/files/

The 32 and 64-bit packages to transform Escuelas Linux to its English language edition can be downloaded from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/escuelaslinux/files/languages/English/

The packages to update Escuelas Linux from 5.6 to 5.7, 32 or 64-bit, are in
https://sourceforge.net/projects/escuelaslinux/files/actualizaciones/5.6_a_5.7/

The PDF English Install Manual can be downloaded from this URL
https://sourceforge.net/projects/escuelaslinux/files/languages/English/installManualEscuelasLinux-5.7-english.pdf/download

• Like 5

You really do very interesting and useful work for your students. Unfortunately this will never gonna happen here in Slovakia. Our government and school system is too binded with IT company lobby. Yes, I saw some schools were using Open Office but it is still under Win. My question is, should teacher force using kids Linux and Libre Office (or other office platform)? Why? When they switch to an another school, they will use Win and MS Office. When they go to the work, the employer will ask if they know how to use MS Word and Excel. Yea, I can see many job ads.

I am fathering two kids. What advice you can give me? Will I make an education mistake when my kids will use Linux instead of Win? I think I should teach them both platform and they will choose later. Is there any chance they will meet Linux out of our flat during their lives? Hard questions for me.

My personal take is that, if you can learn a complex OS like Linux, you are going to be much more adaptable in the long run...and really, all of the office suites are so similar at this point.  I used to be forced into using all MS stuff at work due to our parent company using AD DS/etc.  Only ever use Linux at home and switching between the two was painless. 

I think if you teach your kids Linux they are going to be much better adjusted in the long run for whatever IT systems come their way.  Also, at least in the USA, there are so many people that know MS that it isn't super valuable unless you are really advanced skills wise.  Now Linux, companies are always looking for someone that knows even a bit of Linux Admin'ing (and willing to pay well for it)...seems like that makes Linux valuable to learn!

Due to past work with MS, I'm a very advanced user and have multiple IT certs with them ranging from Networking, to Security to System Administration...so my children will likely learn some of that from me...but overall, I'm going to show them the beauty of Open Source.  I have already started them on the Pi with some simple games and on my main Linux box with Frozen Bubble.  I'm hoping to play around with Scratch with them soon.

I wish my parents would have been into IT...I had to pave my own way.  But, through learning on my own, I discovered that I really love this stuff.  I wasn't force fed it in the slightest...so overall, I'm pretty happy. 

If that makes sense.

Escuelas Linux sounds like an awesome project (lucky kids!!)!

@Astroboy

Hi, I read the article you have referenced. It is definitely published in 2000. I believe computer literacy significantly decreased since that time. Computer science professors in UK have realized that their current freshmen are less prepared than students back in 1990s. The main reason for that was that in old days one needed to be geeky enough to dive into the computer operations and take an effort to learn how to use it. These days when "everything just works" using a computer is as simple as using a microwave or a TV. To enhance computer literacy and availability, they have invented the Raspberry Pi. Just read their story of inventing Raspberry Pi.

My answer to the Waiter's question is "Choice!" Learning and using Linux instead of or in addition to using Windows is like learning how to cook. If one knows how to cook, he or she is able to cook whatever they want. If they do not know how to cook, they are constrained to what is on the menu (Windows or Mac).

Good job with Esculeas!

• Like 1

@vvkozmenko

The world is very aware of the great contribution made by the UK and the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of computer science in schools. I also love the UK curriculum for computer sciences, it is not a sell-out to benefit private corporations, and  I believe is perfectly in line with the ideas of the article previously referenced:

The core of computing is computer science, in which pupils are taught the principles of information and computation, how digital systems work and how to put this knowledge to use through programming. Building on this knowledge and understanding, pupils are equipped to use information technology to create programs, systems and a range of content. Computing also ensures that pupils become digitally literate – able to use, and express themselves and develop their ideas through, information and communication technology – at a level suitable for the future workplace and as active participants in a digital world.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study

In Escuelas Linux we have the fortune to serve to this very same purpose for 187,135 registered students and teachers in our local environment, whom voluntarily use our educational distribution, and Escuelas Linux has been downloaded thousands of times from 101 countries, so maybe it has been useful to a lot of people that agree with the idea of "Choice!" in learning environments :lol:

• Like 2