Sign in to follow this  
PeterP

Submenus missing after software installation

Question

Following installation of the Debian science packages, the Moksha main menu has developed a problem. Several sub-menus are missing - including Accessories, Preferences, Educaction and Science, but the menus are fine hen using other desktops. Does anyone have any suggestions about ho I can get the missing Moksha menus back?

11 answers to this question

Hello there

Let's try this:

menu-settings-Settings Panel-Menus tab->Menu settings

Here select the e-applications

K8plL7i.png

Now restart Moksha desktop with CTRL ALT END and we will see if that helped.

Stefan

Thank you for your help.

I have given that a try and found different menu combinations with E, Gnome and KDE4. It looks like I should be able to get to the installed programs with changes in menu settings when required. I'm a little surprised by the effect that installing some of the Debian science packages has had.

Stefan - why the choices and what does it actually do?  also what happens if you have apps from various/more than one choice in the list - then what?

Thanks.

Norman, it is not possible to select more than one menu profile. Frankly, I don't know why those profiles are there. Maybe a question for E developers. They are authors of the idea. I can ask on irc if you very want :) Or maybe Ylee is skilled enough and made some changes on the menu stuff few days ago. I think he also can say something.

Stefan

• Like 1

@graywizardlinux I "believe" even without the submenus that the ".desktop" files appear in Other. Sometimes they may even show in other locations. I have seen a wine submenu from time to time. It comes and goes, so, it is possible to generate extra submenus if one is so inclined I have no idea how it is accomplished.

• Like 1

Following installation of the Debian science packages, the Moksha main menu has developed a problem. Several sub-menus are missing - including Accessories, Preferences, Educaction and Science, but the menus are fine hen using other desktops. Does anyone have any suggestions about ho I can get the missing Moksha menus back?

I have made some changes to mokshas menu for our next release. Please give the new menu a try to see if ti helps with this issue:

I have proposed to Jeff removing the lxde- stuff from moksha menus, see e-applications.menu. As well as replacing the package lxmenu-data with our own moksha modified version of it. This should remove any need of lxde packages to make Moksha work correctly and any references to lxde from moksha source code. In case you are wondering in moksha as it current is now without the package lxmenu-data then the main menu has no icons for the main categories (Accessories, Preferences, Programming, Graphics, ...). The case is very similar for enlightenment in which case their version of  e-applications.menu seems to require gnome-menu stuff to display these icons. 

The lxde-stuff in mokshas menu occurs because Jeff replaced e17's e-applications.menu, which really I didn't like, with the one from lxde at some point in time. I am unsure of the licensing details of all this:  e code has one license and lxde stuff is GPL. But regardless both are open source and I doubt the conflict of licenses really matters much or truthfully conflicts much. Note: I am not a copyright lawyer lol so what I think truthfully doesn't matter much on this issue.

So to achieve the goal of removing this lxde dependency I have taken the lxmenu-data package and turned it into a moksha-menu package. It is GPL and I am fully within my rights to do so. The changes are minor and I will note the source of the original package and the original copyright info in it. I believe this is fully legal and a common enough practice. While I haven't yet created a github repo for this package I plan to if all here support such a change and this change causes no issues. I meant to upload the deb file for this package to testing but ended up uploading it to b4main. It will cause no issues as nothing relies upon it and installed or not in BL4.5 it will have no effects unless of course e-applications.menu is modifed to use it.

Now this leaves the e-applications.menu: I sorta blended the e22 version with the lxde version and made it rely upon my moksha-menu package.

You can look at it on my github gist page.

For the record the e22 version is very much like the lxde version and I suspect they too used it for inspiration. Nothing surprising there as a note in the lxde source code says they modified gnome's menu stuff. This is one of the ways open source software works.

So I am asking the few devs we have to take a look at this and try it out. To do so replace /etc/xdg/menus/e-applications.menu  with my modified version and install moksha-menu.

Does this meet our needs? And does it work correctly in all supported locales. I didn't test any locales other than english. Any suggestions on improvements or modifications? 

If all this works and meets our needs I propose adding it to BL5.0.

Thanks.

From Bodhi Linux Forums → Bodhi Team → Development (only viewable by Team members)

Ordinarily I would test this to ensure it works first but there are alot of debian science packages and my testing is on a VM and installing all this on a VM would error out as the hard drive became full.

BUT if this does not help with your issue, I will look at it further. If this is the case which debian science packages did you install. Give me a complete list and I will try to duplicate this issue.

• Like 1

Stefan - why the choices and what does it actually do?  also what happens if you have apps from various/more than one choice in the list - then what?

Thanks.

Norman, it is not possible to select more than one menu profile. Frankly, I don't know why those profiles are there. Maybe a question for E developers. They are authors of the idea. I can ask on irc if you very want :) Or maybe Ylee is skilled enough and made some changes on the menu stuff few days ago. I think he also can say something.

Stefan

The menu system on modern linux desktops is rather complex. For all the geeky complex details see the xdg standard. I am not going to try to simplify and explain this standard as it is about as simple as it can be on the freedesktop.org website.

But lets clear up a few confusions first. On bodhi the list found in the window menu-settings-Settings Panel-Menus tab->Menu settings is simply the list of files found on your machines /etc/xdg/menus folder. These are xml files which describe a menus structure. You can only select one.

... Frankly, I don't know why those profiles are there. Maybe a question for E developers. They are authors of the idea....

Well the e-devs are NOT the authors of this idea, this idea came about because early linux windows managers had various ways of dealing with menus and this standard came about as well as the update-menus command  to make things simpler for the end user.

Before the advent  of  update-menus,  when  the  system  administrators  installed  a  package  onto  a  Debian  system, they would need to edit various window manager configuration files to make the new program show up  on, for example, fvwm's menus. The menus could easily become out of sync with what programs were actually available, with some  menu  items that didn't work, and other programs that lacked a menu entry.  update-menus and Debian's menu package aim to solve this problem.

So the e-devs are responsible for the code in enlightenment and moksha which IMPLEMENTS this standard but they are not responsible for the standard itself. 

As to why these profiles are there  every file in /etc/xdg/menus is something the user has added. Unless it was manually added it was added by installing something. The E applications and the LXDE applications are preinstalled in Bodhi 4.x. e-applications.menu is installed by Moksha itself and lxde-applications.menu is installed by the lxmenu-data package.

If other menus are showing up there, gnome, kde xfce, unity or whatnot they all have came from something the user installed. Any of these files can be edited by the user (as root) but I would advise against it unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Moksha and other window managers/desktop environments will not function correctly if the menu file they are using is broken or absent. 

Maybe this clears things up for yall or maybe it just confuses you more. If confused by it just ignore it and care on, lol  B)

• Like 1

I have made some changes to mokshas menu for our next release. Please give the new menu a try to see if ti helps with this issue:

From Bodhi Linux Forums → Bodhi Team → Development (only viewable by Team members)

Ordinarily I would test this to ensure it works first but there are alot of debian science packages and my testing is on a VM and installing all this on a VM would error out as the hard drive became full.

BUT if this does not help with your issue, I will look at it further. If this is the case which debian science packages did you install. Give me a complete list and I will try to duplicate this issue.

I have installed config, machine learning, neuroscience modelling, presentation and tasks.

The menus work normally in LDXE and Mate.

@PeterP did you try the new menu? Note to use this menu you must install moksha-menu.

EDIT: Also restart moksha or log out and log in or reboot, to see changes.

I have installed config, machine learning, neuroscience modelling, presentation and tasks.

The menus work normally in LDXE and Mate.

Ok I added all of these and Bodhis menu works fine. I can not duplicate your issue. Also the menu worked fine with my modified version. 

You can try the update-menus command to see if that helps:

sudo update-menus

You can also try to reinstall the debian science stuff you suspect broke the menu.