AntCer

Updated Documentation Feedback

Found bug, fixing right now. Older mozilla's require special moz prefix....

Installing firefox to run checks..

MAN, firefox butchered my work...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-All browsers now supported.;) Still need to fix orange border. Working on Opera.

-Will add "Automatically Scroll Contents" fix of itask/taskbar when doing multiple tasks in desktop.

Edited by AntCer

From the Intro to the e17 Guide:

"There are other Linux distributions that use Enlightenment as their Window Manager"

Is this still true? I know of several that have e17 in their repos, but I don't know of any that currently offer an image with e17 as the WM/DE. Even PCLinuxOS doesn't seem to have an e17 version anymore. Should emphasize that Bodhi is the ONLY disto dedicated to Enlightenment?

Also, I don't see the need for the numbers in the section links at the beginning of the Menu page (Introduction, Where Did it Go, and so forth)?

Thoughts?

It is not the onlt e17 centric distro. Here:

Distributions

Some Linux distributions are Enlightenment-centric. Here is a list:

Bodhi

Elive

HUMANity

Macpup

MoonOS

OpenGEU

Pentoo

PCLinuxOS

Sabayon

Unite17

Yellow Dog

ORANGE BORDER FIXED! Quickstart fully updated and CSS compatible with most common browsers: Mozilla, Chromium, IE, Midori, Opera and XXXterm... B) Please try on other browsers. Thanks! :D

Requested Software page updated with Faenza Icons. NICE. ;)

Also, replaced network-disconnect icon, from 128x128 to 64x64. Way better, imo.

By tomorrow night, will update Bodhi Guide Pages/CSS.

@ottermaton NOW, tell me what you think of the stylesheet. Any changes to the color/scheme you recommend?? And PLEASEEE do not tell me another horrific Firefox incident occurs.... :o:lol:

e-5090fb3ed72da3.84468941.png

AnCer,

I have started making edits to the e17 Guide. I am working offline as that is easier for me, will upload the files as I get through them. This is just my first pass, will go back and revise them again as people review them and as I think of other changes that need to be made.

Mark,

Can we finish and upload individual files, or do we have to wait until the whole Guide is complete, and do it as a unit? I am thinking that some sections are more critical than others. For example, the Menu section is off in several ways, and that may be one of the first sections people go to.

One other question, what have you been using to make the screenshots? Shot, then editing with GIMP? Or something else? We need quite a few new graphics-screenshots due to changes, and module pics. Thanks!

caerolle :)

@Caerolle

Love it! May I ask you don't mess with the CSS? I'll edit it offline and post it up once the first revisions are up. :) SImply, drag and drop the folder e17GuideEN folder into the Public>bodhi>e17guide and the complete e17GuideEN folder will be updated. If no revisions have been made, the pages will not be update. Gotta love dropbox's web browser integration and sophistication. ;) I'll handle pics and reshots for the Guide; We do not want contrasting themes in the pictures(I've reshot and uploaded a few already for the guide(menu.html). Had to stop to properly edit the markup and css and image links in the quickstart). Combo of snapshot module and shutter, basic pinta editing. Nothing major. As you can see on my quickstart files, the pics and shots look nice. No need to complicate things any further with GIMP... :lol:

Also, no need to worry, as I have copies and backups on my comp. The Guide is your baby; I'll make my contributions to the markup and CSS AFTER you've done your first couple rounds of revisions to the e17guideEN folder.

AntCer,

I have no plans to edit the CSS, as I don't really even understand it! Right now I am making edits in an offline folder that has the current CSS and opening the files in Midori to see how they look. KompoZer is nice in some ways, but doesn't completely look right. I am making edits in geany, with your file, my file, and a changelog file all open at once, that is working well for me.

I am getting a little confused, though, over what you mean when you refer to making changes in the 'Guide'? I have been thinking you meant the Quickstart Guide, but maybe you mean the e17 Guide? I do need to look into what you have done on the e17 Guide, to avoid duplicating efforts, and even worse, having work you've done fall through the cracks! I know you made a couple of edits to the menu file (which I am incorporating into my edit), but I don't know what else. Also, I didn't realize you had made new graphics, I'll have to take a look at the Images folder in Dropbox. I am guessing they would be of adding Terminology to Favorites, and maybe a picture of the way Main Menu currently looks? (As Charles, pointed out in comments he sent me, we now have Navigate as default instead of Places, for instance.)

Carol :)

@Caerolle

:lol: Charles is wise. Yes, it was actually the first document I edited since I thought I could do it. Only got to the bit about creating desktop launchers, though, since I could not think of two default apps with no desktop files...(Charles to the rescue again!) Yep, those pics. And I had revised Places to Navigation a while ago. You can view the guide through my link in the sig. It is the index. Only Intro and Menu have any mods by me. Intro has very slight mods.

The Bodhi Guide is the e17guide aka Guide to enlightenment. Just what I call it... :rolleyes: The other, I just call quickstart. ;)

I've gone to using just leafpad and midori, chromium, firefox, opera, and xxxterm to check css compatibility. Keepin' it minimal. B)

Thanks, AntCer!

I like geany b/c it highlights the HTML markups, and has some nice features (including tabbed windows) that Leafpad doesn't, but is still (I think?) much lighter than gedit.

Distributions

Some Linux distributions are Enlightenment-centric. Here is a list:

Bodhi

Elive

HUMANity

Macpup

MoonOS

OpenGEU

Pentoo

PCLinuxOS

Sabayon

Unite17

Yellow Dog

Most of the smaller of these appear to be dead or abandoned, and most of those still alive have moved on from Enlightement. Pentoo just released a new version after many years, but according to the comments, is now Xfce rather than Enlightenment. Elive's forum seems to have turned into a repo for spam. I tried Sabayon a few weeks ago, but they no longer have an iso for the spins, you have to install the core and then add the WM/DE. I have done this many times with Arch and Debian, but for the life of me could not find the info I needed for Sabayon (their site seems to go in circles). Could just be me, but at any rate they don't seem to have a ready-to-use spin. This is what PCLinuxOS seems to have done, also. Macpup and Humanity seem to be the only distros that are still supported to some degree and have Enlightenment as their default environment.

The main reason I bring this up in this context is that Macpup has a e17 guide, too. Here is the link, if anyone is interested:

http://macpup.org/forums/index.php/topic,11.0.html

@Caerolle Great research; good stuff!

-------------------------------------

The Quickstart Appendix revised and uploaded.

Gave a shout out to those helpful, enlightened souls. :D

-------------------------------------

Would also love input/feedback on color scheme/ layout of the quickstart pages.(overall theme)

I'm sorry to say so, but the look of your draft QS does not match the site at all. If you must play with the css use the look of the main site, not the forum.

I'm sorry to say so, but the look of your draft QS does not match the site at all. If you must play with the css use the look of the main site, not the forum.

No problem! ;) Will do. Going to see the look of the main page and match it up. Does that mean I should change the orange text, even though that was in the original Quickstart?? Since there is no orange besides border and link highlight. :blink:

For a perfect match, going to remove the orange font and re-theme similar to the main Bodhi page. Rough draft will be up in a few hours.

--------------------

I must consider the forum look, THE Bodhi look since I'm always in it...Homepage. :lol:

Edited by AntCer

The forum look will be redone eventually. It is on my todo. We have to update the forum version first though.

• Like 1

Good to know! :) Working on the Bodhi look; Hope I do it justice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

MAIN

UPDATE: All quickstart changed to HTML5; markup cleaned and revised for the switch; checked and validated.

UPDATE: Appendix page further modified: Table at bottom.

TESTING

UPDATE: CSS/markup updated. Will Upload to MAIN soon. Specifically, when the kinks are worked out.

Edited by AntCer

Haven't been around in the last day or two ... I know there were some questions that were asked directly of me but they seemed to have been answered in the interim. If I missed some or if some not answered satisfactorily please post them again, but it will likely be at least 24 hours til I get back on the boards.

Just some comments then. To give you an idea of where I was coming from when I was originally working with Joris on the design of both the QS and e17Guide, I took a fair bit of inspiration from the HOWTOs at tldp.org. (I guess that sort of dates me that I not only remember them but actually used them extensively ;)) I just wanted a clean, simple, direct look but "modernized" just a bit. The Next, Previous, and Index links at the bottom of the page are directly culled from there.

So, so far it hasn't seemed to stray too far from that idea. After all, it's the Bodhi Way™.;) I'm not a huge fan of the yellowish background behind the main content area, but, oh well, not a big deal.

The links don't work in Lynx, at least on the Index page. I don't know if that matters or not, but I always think it's "cool" to keep that backwards (or ass backwards, if you like) compatibility.

I think it's a BIG mistake to not test/check it in IE. Think of it this way: if someone's thinking of jumping ship from Windows to Linux and Bodhi specifically and they look at either guide and it's all squirelly they're gonna think, "These guys can't even make a web page, much less an OS!"

I haven't looked at your code but it seems like you're using a fixed width somewhere in the mix. Even with FF max'd on 1024x768 resolution it doesn't quite fit horizontally. I've always had the opinion that using fixed width pages is a bad idea; much better to use percentages. Just my 2 cents.

Okay, now that I'm done picking nits I want to say that otherwise you're doing a fantastic job. This thread has been crazy busy which is just one small indication of the level of commitment. Great big giant kudos to all, and in particular AntCer (I just figured on the "meaning" of that nick last night haha) and caerolle.

cheers

mark

Mark, thanks so much for checking in and providing feedback! The IE recommendation is definitely something that never would have occurred to me, at least. (And I have to admit I have no idea what Linx is...??)

I do have a question, hopefully can catch you while you are still here. I know AntCer is making some of the PNG graphics, but I would like to do some too. What have people used in the past to make graphics for the various documentation?

AntCer is defs on a tear!

Thanks!

Agreed on the fixed width. I'll adjust for percentages. Odd, they work on links2 when I tried... :/ I gotta be more thorough! ;)

Theme updated a tad as per aeonius's 2 cents. Here is a link to the index page implementing the new CSS. I think its beautiful! Obviously, rough draft. Need a bit more time. Also, only index page has been revised so far. (had class) Basic Implementation on all pages. Getting to work on %s. Feedback on theme appreciated! mainly a mr.aeonius. ;)

Oh and dont worry! I test on IE, via Cloud IE app in chrome. Basically, a remote session to a computer using IE. :P

@caerolle linx is a terminal browser. Love em. But forgot ALL about em. :lol: If you do take pics, use the detourious theme with an a-anghelic2 background, a- smokey24h border! So they'll match. Ottermaton requested that when I first began pic-taking.

Will be advancing the CSS further, as well as implementing in all quickstart pages. Might be a day, in all. HWK and such...

--------------------------------------

UPDATE:Some values replaced by %s. Removed .right and .left from aeonius' css, along with some other mods to the core, aka original CSS. Didn't seem to be doing anything at all.. I might have removed the classes from the markup previously for not meeting standards.. Oh well. B)

Edited by AntCer

AntCer, I am working on the Menu file, and took a look at your new image for the Main Menu. It looks great! However, there is one little detail I feel is off--you have Favorites installed on your system, and it shows up as a selection at the top of the Main Menu in your picture. At the point this image is shown, we are talking about the default appearance of the Main Menu, and have not discussed adding Favorites yet. We can retain this image to add where we *do* cover Favorites, but I feel we need a picture of the default Main Menu in the Menu Structure section.

Editing is really slow going with having to add the HTML, OMG! :blink:

Just to show that I am NOT all talk, I uploaded the first draft of the first two files for the E17 Guide to the Dropbox folder (laughs). They are the Intro and a menu file, which is now Main Menu. You can tell my files by the complicated filenames. Although the files have only 'ct' on them for clarity, I incorporated a lot of material from AntCer's edits and comments that Charles provided. Please not that due to the altered filenames, you have to open each file, you can't use the links in the individual pages.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/bodhi-new-changes/e17guide/e17guideEN

One last thing, I can change it back if people wish, but I split the current Menu page into two pages, Main Menu and Modifying Menus. I felt the Menu page was awfully long and imposing, and that splitting it into the default menu and menu customization might be more user-friendly. Please let me know how you feel about this!

PS: Please note these are FIRST DRAFTS! I have not even read back through them yet! So they likely have errors, please feel free to provide feedback! Thanks! :)

:lol: Great work! First draft of quickstart with new theme is uploaded. Mainly percentages, so they should view fine. Green navigation bar still buggy with zoom, I know; will fix tomorrow. :D

Great idea! Splitting that page into two is better! Trust me... The old page was a cluttered mess of menu related operations. Looks good. I'll format it properly(CSS) once you are fully done to give it an elegant Bodhi feel. Took the liberty of adding the .html extension to the two files so you may share the public link for each, and they may view 'em properly, instead of an html mess. B)

Also, that is in the default detourious theme. In the default detourious theme, it shows the favorites menu, though there is nothing in it. Going to it even says empty. To disable it, I'd have to go to Main Menu>Settings>All>Menus>Menu Settings and uncheck it. Sadly, then that wouldn't truly be default...

When I zoom text on your test version, The Bodhi Guide to Enlightenment and Run Everything are smashed together (overlaid). Everything else (text) seems to resize properly. It's as if whatever is separating them isn't being resized.

Firefox 16.0.2.

Related, when I zoom text, bottom text in the left-hand column is driven down and becomes invisible. Column doesn't become longer, so text disappears.

Aloha.

UPDATED Again! More revisions. 2nd draft of quickstart with new theme is uploaded. Will reiterate: Mainly percentages, so they should view fine. Green navigation bar still buggy with zoom, I know; will fix tomorrow. :D

@swordplay! Thanks for the feedback/input! I'm working on making left-collumn a full nav bar at all times. It will not scroll down with site, but should stay in place when I'm done. At the moment, yes it does make lower links unavailable. Even using percentages couldn't fix as of yet. Will give another crack at it tomorrow. Run everything should be fixed now. Thanks again!! Also, I have nothing to do with the Bodhi Enlightenment Guide pages. Seperate folder. Reverted to old CSS for Bodhi Enlightenment Guide. I am only in charge of Quickstart folder atm.

BTW: Have fix. Will incorporate by the end of today.

CSS reworked a bit. Green bar still an issue(small)but the majority of the pages are properly formatted(ideal is 100% zoom), come zoom or high water. haha

AntCer,

Is detourious a default theme, and I somehow missed it? I think you had to have downloaded that from somewhere? I am thinking that we want to focus this part of the e17 Guide on what a new user would see when they first start working with Enlightenment, so they would have chosen one of the themes that is already installed, as they log in for the first time. I am thinking people who need the Guide probably aren't going to know about installing new themes straight off.

Also, we say very explicitly that Favorites is not loaded by default, so I imagine people frowning in annoyance if we then give a picture with Favorites bright and shiny right at the top! To me, things like that can undermine the credibility of the document for people.

Sorry to be a pest and so picky over something that seems so minor, but I am thinking of our primary audience as ppl who don't know much about Enlightenment, and are interested but anxious, esp since Enlightenment has soooo many options! I admire you for the enthusiasm and whole-hearted, excited approach you take (too cool! you make me smile so much!), I just worry about the new users who maybe aren't as bright and open to new experience and eager to learn like you are. I am old, and not that natural with computers, and I know it took me a long time to wrap my brain around Enlightenment. Maybe I am getting the demographic of new Bodhi users wrong (Jeff, Ottoman, anyone know?), but I am going on the assumption that they are going to be interested but somewhat lost.

Thanks for all your work! I am learning so much from you, and your suggestions have been aewsome!

Carol :)