Jeff

Choice: Replace Terminology or Delay the Release

There is currently a bug with terminology and the 1.7.4 EFLs that we currently use that cause terminology to segfault often.

Do we think we should delay the release for a fix (no idea how long this could take - haven't gotten much dev response on the issue) or do we just ship lxterminal as the default terminal emulator again for this release?

What are the thoughts community? I'm inclined to say just ship with lxterminal.

~Jeff

The only problems I had on 2.1 were with terminology and I ended up using terminator instead. So yeah, something like lxterminal should be the default liteweight emulator for the new release.

There is currently a bug with terminology and the 1.7.4 EFLs that we currently use that cause terminology to segfault often.

Do we think we should delay the release for a fix (no idea how long this could take - haven't gotten much dev response on the issue) or do we just ship lxterminal as the default terminal emulator again for this release?

~Jeff

~Jeff

LX Terminal would be fine!

I got to disagree on this. I use Terminology exclusively after comparing multiple terminal-emulators. Faster than lxterminal, and pretty as a peach. Can open all types of files/links, video and picture included, inline, if properly set up. Not to mention the Guides mention terminology as default a fair amount of times, even having its own page..

I'm not using this thread as a "vote for a new default terminal emulator". In a perfect world I want terminology (an ELM/EFL based application) to be the default.

The issue is shipping with an unstable version of a terminal emulator is a NOGO. So we either hold the release till they fix it (who knows how long) or ship with something else.

~Jeff

What else is being fixed in this release anyway? That is, it seems that this release is basically an E17 release, not that there are any Bodhi enhancements per se. If that's the case, why not just wait?

Agreed with bob rashkin. Makes perfect sense to me.

Anyone looking to gamble, can just use the testing repo. Or stable, when packages eventually get there.

@Jeff

BTW, what exactly causes terminology to segfault? I've been using it all this time.

voting on LXterminal.

P.S. as a side note, couldn't we also ask Santa to pack the E file manager with Terminology and get rid of both? ...

:lol: No. :mellow:

But seriously, EFM, has MORE than noticeably improved and I use it more than not.

I haven't had any problems with seg faults with Terminology, but if others are I say just leave it in the testing branch and ship with lxterm.

Vince

I'd say, give them a few more days. If they can't deliver than LXterminal is fine with me. After all we are THE distro with Enlightenment, so we should not wait bringing out the stable E17 for too long. And by that I mean a new release, not an available upgrade, though of course that will work.

The work on the guide is not lost, you can save it for the day Terminology will work again and publish it then, hopefully soon as I got used to use terminology.

Charles.

• Like 1

Again - this isn't a thread for selecting default application changes.

So long as there is an EFL/Elm app that performs a function well/stable we will use it as the default in Bodhi (meaning EFM is here to stay). Terminology however is no longer stable, meaning until it becomes stable again it is up for replacement.

~Jeff

Have had Bodhi 2.2.0 installed for two days now and have yet to experience a segfault with Terminology, I'm also running it under arch and on Ubuntu 12.10 via the PPA and have not had a segfault on them either, maybe I'm just lucky. As long as it stays in the repo I have no problem with it being replaced on the install ISO.

AJSlye -

It segfaults fairly consistently when you use something that floods text rapidly onto the screen (EG: compiling software).

And it isn't just a Bodhi issue - folks using EFL 1.7.4 with terminology on several other distros have provided backtraces from the same segfault as well.

~Jeff

AJSlye -

It segfaults fairly consistently when you use something that floods text rapidly onto the screen (EG: compiling software).

And it isn't just a Bodhi issue - folks using EFL 1.7.4 with terminology on several other distros have provided backtraces from the same segfault as well.

~Jeff

That would explain a lot as I don't compile in terminology, gnome-terminal, Konsole, Etc., I have always used xterm or just drop down to a tty for that? but for normal everyday system admin stuff haven't had a problem. Since that is a separate app and not part of the enlightenment desktop (E17) itself I would have to agree with not including it on the Install ISO. Have you tried increasing the scroll back higher than 2000?