cgs

[solved] pae or non- ?

I installed the non-pae version of 2.2.0 (32 bit)on my older desktop, then used the same CD to install on my 64-bit quad-core laptop.

I'm a casual user: am I losing anything with non-pae on the newer machine?

If so, must I completely reinstall to make improvement?

Rather than repeating everything that's already been written, I'll link to another thread which asked the same question...

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/7434-solved-pae-non-pae/page__p__64321__hl__kernel__fromsearch__1#entry64321

Brief answer to your question... you can install a PAE kernel on your existing 32-bit installation, and it will enable the PAE options. You probably should be running 64-bit for best performance, but installing a PAE kernel should bring it to a level where you probably won't notice a difference. If you wanted to go 64-bit, you'd need a complete reinstall. (it can be converted, but not without a ton of difficulty and probably a bout of dependency-hell. simply backing up your home dir and reinstalling with 64-bit would be a lot easier).

Rather than repeating everything that's already been written, I'll link to another thread which asked the same question...

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/7434-solved-pae-non-pae/page__p__64321__hl__kernel__fromsearch__1#entry64321

Brief answer to your question... you can install a PAE kernel on your existing 32-bit installation, and it will enable the PAE options. You probably should be running 64-bit for best performance, but installing a PAE kernel should bring it to a level where you probably won't notice a difference. If you wanted to go 64-bit, you'd need a complete reinstall. (it can be converted, but not without a ton of difficulty and probably a bout of dependency-hell. simply backing up your home dir and reinstalling with 64-bit would be a lot easier).

Thanks much! Clarity is the soul of wit.