Sign in to follow this  
Tara

Detourious GTK theme causing conflict

Hi, folks,

I pointed this out a while ago, but it seems to have not been done. A few weeks back when Jeff packaged the .edj files for Elementary in the Enlightenment themes for Detourious among other themes, he created a conflict with the GTK detourious theme, because that .deb already contained the Elementary .edj file. Because the same file is in two different packages, they are refusing to cooperate, which creates an error.

tara@MadHatter:~$ sudo apt-get install bodhi-gtk-themes

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following extra packages will be installed:

detourious-theme

The following NEW packages will be installed:

bodhi-gtk-themes detourious-theme

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 4,354 kB of archives.

After this operation, 5,343 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Get:1 http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/'>http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/ precise/stable detourious-theme all 201208071503-212~precise1 [4,353 kB]

Get:2 http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/ precise/stable bodhi-gtk-themes all 0.3 [876 B]

Fetched 4,354 kB in 11s (380 kB/s)

(Reading database ... 74502 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking detourious-theme (from .../detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/usr/share/elementary/themes/detourious-elm.edj', which is also in package bodhi-theme-detourious 2.02

dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Selecting previously unselected package bodhi-gtk-themes.

Unpacking bodhi-gtk-themes (from .../bodhi-gtk-themes_0.3_all.deb) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

tara@MadHatter:~$

I can "fix" it by removing the bodhi-gtk-themes package and the deb for detourious-theme, but that leaves me unable to use the Detourious gtk theme on my system. Can whoever's responsible for packaging the art fix it please? It should be as simple as removing the file "/usr/share/elementary/themes/detourious-elm.edj" from one of the two packages. One of them is "detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb", and the other is "bodhi-theme-detourious". Given that one of the two is upstream in the Ubuntu repos (but is pulled as a dep for bodhi-gtk-themes as you can see), I think it should be removed from the Bodhi theme. Alternately, you could add the gtk files to the bodhi theme for detourious, and remove it as a dep for the gtk themes package.

Thanks in advance,

Tara

• Like 1

Hi, folks,

I pointed this out a while ago, but it seems to have not been done. A few weeks back when Jeff packaged the .edj files for Elementary in the Enlightenment themes for Detourious among other themes, he created a conflict with the GTK detourious theme, because that .deb already contained the Elementary .edj file. Because the same file is in two different packages, they are refusing to cooperate, which creates an error.

tara@MadHatter:~$ sudo apt-get install bodhi-gtk-themes

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following extra packages will be installed:

detourious-theme

The following NEW packages will be installed:

bodhi-gtk-themes detourious-theme

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 4,354 kB of archives.

After this operation, 5,343 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Get:1 http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/'>http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/ precise/stable detourious-theme all 201208071503-212~precise1 [4,353 kB]

Get:2 http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/ precise/stable bodhi-gtk-themes all 0.3 [876 B]

Fetched 4,354 kB in 11s (380 kB/s)

(Reading database ... 74502 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking detourious-theme (from .../detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/usr/share/elementary/themes/detourious-elm.edj', which is also in package bodhi-theme-detourious 2.02

Selecting previously unselected package bodhi-gtk-themes.

Unpacking bodhi-gtk-themes (from .../bodhi-gtk-themes_0.3_all.deb) ...

/var/cache/apt/archives/detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb

tara@MadHatter:~$

I can "fix" it by removing the bodhi-gtk-themes package and the deb for detourious-theme, but that leaves me unable to use the Detourious gtk theme on my system. Can whoever's responsible for packaging the art fix it please? It should be as simple as removing the file "/usr/share/elementary/themes/detourious-elm.edj" from one of the two packages. One of them is "detourious-theme_201208071503-212~precise1_all.deb", and the other is "bodhi-theme-detourious". Given that one of the two is upstream in the Ubuntu repos (but is pulled as a dep for bodhi-gtk-themes as you can see), I think it should be removed from the Bodhi theme. Alternately, you could add the gtk files to the bodhi theme for detourious, and remove it as a dep for the gtk themes package.

Thanks in advance,

Tara

Thank You for follow up on the errors, I hope it can be fixed soon.

The detourious-theme package has been moved to a dumby package that simply points to bodhi-theme-detourious.

Should solve this issue.

~Jeff

Thanks.. I'll let you know when I get home tonight.

Out of curiosity, have you put the GTK theme into the bodhi-theme-detourious package, then?

You should be able to fix it by doing "sudo apt-get update && sudo dist-upgrade" at a terminal.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to do "sudo apt-get remove --purge bodhi-gtk-themes && sudo apt-get autoremove" first, then once it's done you can reinstall the GTK themes with "sudo apt-get install bodhi-gtk-themes".

Cheers,

Tara

I did a refresh and the detourious pkg is still causing an issue... I use the following to refresh:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

Works here:

honey@honey-VPCF115FM:~$ dpkg -l detourious-theme
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version        Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii  detourious-the 20130128       Detourious Themes
honey@honey-VPCF115FM:~$ dpkg -l bodhi-theme-detourious
ii  bodhi-theme-de 2.03           Bodhi Detourious Theme

You may need to manually purge any theme related packages and then reinstall.

~Jeff

Works here:

honey@honey-VPCF115FM:~$ dpkg -l detourious-theme
ii  detourious-the 20130128       Detourious Themes
honey@honey-VPCF115FM:~$ dpkg -l bodhi-theme-detourious
ii  bodhi-theme-de 2.03           Bodhi Detourious Theme

You may need to manually purge any theme related packages and then reinstall.

~Jeff

Yeah I have been thinking of doing that... hate to have redo things tho....

hate to have redo things tho....

What is there to redo? You just uninstall the 2 theme packages and reinstall them.

~Jeff

You should be able to fix it by doing "sudo apt-get update && sudo dist-upgrade" at a terminal.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to do "sudo apt-get remove --purge bodhi-gtk-themes && sudo apt-get autoremove" first, then once it's done you can reinstall the GTK themes with "sudo apt-get install bodhi-gtk-themes".

i followed these steps, then redid the update and dist-upgrade and I still get the error:

Unpacking replacement bodhi-theme-detourious ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/bodhi-theme-detourious_2.03_all.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/usr/share/elementary/themes/detourious-elm.edj', which is also in package detourious-theme 201208071503-212~precise1

/var/cache/apt/archives/bodhi-theme-detourious_2.03_all.deb

Really just an annoyance, but would like to be rid of this.

try doing sudo apt-get remove bodhi-theme-detourious?

It worked last time I updated my system, but it may have changed. I'll make a mental note to try doing a dist upgrade tonight when I get home from work. :)

-Tara

try doing sudo apt-get remove bodhi-theme-detourious?

It worked last time I updated my system, but it may have changed. I'll make a mental note to try doing a dist upgrade tonight when I get home from work. :)

I performed the remove of the detourious theme, then did an autoremove, then did an install of the theme. Install fails with the same error.

I then just did the remove and autoremove. Now the dist-upgrade is clean, but I assume I'll have the same issue when the theme pack is updated and that theme is reinstalled.

package detourious-theme 201208071503-212~precise1

If this is in your message when installation is aborted you will need to remove that package

sudo apt-get remove detourious-theme 

Next run

sudo apt-get -f install

to finish the broken installation of the bodhi package.

This is only slightly different from your earlier method, but addresses the blocking package.

Charles.

package detourious-theme 201208071503-212~precise1

If this is in your message when installation is aborted you will need to remove that package

sudo apt-get remove detourious-theme 

Next run

sudo apt-get -f install

to finish the broken installation of the bodhi package.

This is only slightly different from your earlier method, but addresses the blocking package.

Thanks Charles. That seemed to be the step I was missing. All seems well now. I was able to reinstall the bodhi-gtk-themes and I see detourious-theme (and bodhi-theme-detourious) is there now with no issues.

What fixed it for me, was using synaptic package manager. I clicked to reinstall detourious-theme, and it auto checked Bodhi-theme-detourious listed right underneath it. After that process finished, the problem was resolved for me.

I had similar problems with Detourious blocking other themes so I went into Synaptic and removed the Detourious package completely. Since I don't like it anyway, it was the easiest option, and the other themes were then available to me.

Now, if I can only figure out this Compiz thing.......

Sign in to follow this