Sign in to follow this  
PaulE

[SOLVED] Libreoffice does not start from command line

Hi everyone,

I just started with Bodhi Linux a few days ago. Things are going well so far, with the following minor annoyance. I installed Libreoffice from the App Center. It works just fine if I open it from the menu, but if I try to open it from the command line

libreoffice file.doc

I get the following error:

The program 'libreoffice' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common

In my newbie ignorance I tried installing libreoffice-common and was not able to. I then read posts here saying that the version of Libreoffice used by Bodhi doesn't need this package anyway, so I will not go any further down this route.

Another weird thing is that if I try to run libreoffice in the background with the '&' operator

libreoffice file.doc &

the terminal actually disappears! I've tried this with both Terminology and LXTerminal, with the same results. (If I have multiple tabs open, though, only the current tab disappears.)

Any ideas, anyone, on what's going wrong?

Are you sure "libreoffice" is the executable you want to actually run? That's the name of the package, but the document writer has a different name.

Somebody will have to fill me in on what it's named these days... last time I checked, it was still named "swriter", which was a hold over from when the Libre Office/OpenOffice.org was actually forked from the Sun StarOffice days.

Are you sure "libreoffice" is the executable you want to actually run? That's the name of the package, but the document writer has a different name.

Somebody will have to fill me in on what it's named these days... last time I checked, it was still named "swriter", which was a hold over from when the Libre Office/OpenOffice.org was actually forked from the Sun StarOffice days.

Googling around, it seems that

libreoffice --writer somefile.doc

is recommended to get that application in particular. But that produces the same result, I'm afraid:

The program 'libreoffice' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common

Update: I tried 'swriter' and that didn't work either. Command not recognized. I would check the man-page, of course, but when I type

man libreoffice

I get

No manual entry for libreoffice

Bodhi uses the official LibreOffice packages which install to /opt. You will find the exes for it there.

~Jeff

Bodhi uses the official LibreOffice packages which install to /opt. You will find the exes for it there.

~Jeff

Thanks for your replies, Jeff and Tara. But--and please pardon my ignorance--what are the 'exes'. Do you mean .exe files? What do I do with them?

By "exes" I mean executables.

The exact path of the writer for example is:

/opt/libreoffice4.0/program/swriter

~Jeff

By "exes" I mean executables.

The exact path of the writer for example is:

/opt/libreoffice4.0/program/swriter

~Jeff

Thanks very much! I just tried the command you gave and it worked fine. And the weird issue with the '&' operator no longer crops up now that I'm using the correct command.

I think I know enough to proceed from here. I guess I'll add the above folder to my PATH and just use 'swriter' as the command from now on.

I'll mark this as SOLVED. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Guest Cassandra

For all users of LibreOffice who are annoyed by its bad compatibility with Microsoft Office formats, or for other comprehensible reasons (LO IMHO is bug-ridden, slow, and has a clunky interface):

I just found the information that SoftMaker Office for Linux as an upgrade is now sold cheaper, have a look at their Facebook presence:

https://www.facebook.com/softmaker

I can recommend it from my experience, it has by far the best MS Office conversion algorithm, and doesn't create a hot mess of garbled formatting like LibreOffice, it's smaller and faster, and very feature-packed.

Sign in to follow this